Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM

21 posts, read 48,157 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 50s (no kids at home YAY!) and we are looking to relocate from Sacramento to the Walnut Creek area. My husband is tired of the commute and I am tired of the crime.

DH wants to live in San Ramon. We are leaving the state within a few years and we won't be buying a house. I can't justify the rent in San Ramon although it looks like a really nice place to live. He wants to stay within 15 minutes of his offices in SR and WC.

Where we live now, there are murders every couple of months. Our home was robbed 6 months after we moved here (while we were home). I want to live somewhere that I can feel safe again We are moving back to Utah within 5 years and we are saving for a home there so I don't want to spend anymore than I have to on rent. In Sacramento, we are paying 1,500 a month for a 1500 SF 4 bedroom house. I am positive we are looking at 1000 more a month (MIN) for 2 bedrooms in the WC area.

Where can we get the most safety and the biggest bang for our dollar and still be within 15-20 minutes from WC? I was hoping to find a little guest house on someone's estate but that's not working ;-)

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Well, there's Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, Danville, Concord, Walnut Creek, San Ramon...all of the surrounding towns are all safe. San Ramon is very nice--more families with kids and big new housing estates but there might be some apartments/condos around. You might even want to check out Dublin. It's right next to San Ramon and probably the best choice for location/price. More apartments to choose from too, I believe.

Your main problem (as you already noted) would be your budget. Rents are probably closer to double the amt. you're paying for a 2 bedroom apartment/or condo. Start by checking Craigslist to see what appeals to you. I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the towns mentioned.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Danville would be a good middle ground between the two offices, but expect your rent to double or triple for a decent place of the same size. You pay for the convenience of the area, that's for sure. Traffic kinda sucks on I-680 also, but if he's already commuting that, he probably already knows what he's getting into there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland