Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM

8 posts, read 8,435 times

Advertisements

this forum has been very helpful and thank you in advance for any advice. I'm moving to San Ramon vicinity from the east coast and might be there for only two years. I'll be on a corporate relocation so they'll pick up realtor fees etc if I was to move. I'll be there for a minimum of two years, but possibly longer if I like the area and there are more opportunities. Given income of 240k per year, do you think buying or renting is better in this situation?

Elementary aged kids so highly ranked public schools are a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Rent. It's a crappy time to buy right now.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Crappy because it's an overheated market or lack of options? Thanks for elaborating.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Both, real estate is in high demand in the Bay Area, so there are a lack of options and multiple offers on homes right now.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You'll probably want to rent for awhile anyway so you can decide once you get here where to buy. That's how to do it.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I think you should buy. Even if you lose a bit on the sale if/when you sell. Think of it like a savings account where you are putting your rent money. If you rent, you get none of it back. If you buy, you get a bunch of write-offs, and you should get back a bunch of your rent money, too - at minimum.

My experience in my fairly long life, is that another crash won't come anytime soon. Like I said, even if you lose a bit on a future appraisal, you will still likely come out ahead. AND your housing cost won't go up, like a rental would. AND you know you won't have to move until you want to. AND you can have pets and paint, etc., etc.

Also, what some people don't know about CA, is that your property taxes won't go up (other than some minimal amount like 1%) as long as you own your home. No matter how much it ends up being worth down the road, if it ends up worth millions, your property taxes will be based on your original purchase price. This is due to Prop 13, which we voted in back in the 70's. So, your housing expenses will be stable.

And, especially since your company will help you buy it.

I vote: Buy.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
I have no idea why you'd even consider purchasing a house if you're not even sure that you'll be here longer than two years. Prices are at the peak right now with multiple bidders on most houses (I actually know a family that was outbid by 13 other offers on a house in my town!). It makes zero sense to buy unless you absolutely love it here, plan on staying more than 5 yrs, and/or have family, community, friends here. I think you should rent.

BTW..I've lived in the Bay Area most of my life---we've had wild swings in the housing market and the economy. This region is all about booms and busts. Gotta look at these things from a historical perspective and use common sense---buy low, sell high.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 PM

238 posts, read 302,561 times
if you bought you would not incur any realtor's fees since the seller is the one who pays them. although, it's a great benefits if you are also selling the home you currently live in.

if you will be here for 2 years i say don't buy.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Generally, two years is not enough time to go through finding a home, completing the purchase and then unwinding it when selling.

Some like a retired couple timed it just right... outbid more than a dozen others and paid 800k for a foreclosure... lived there shy of two years and sold for $1,240.000 and didn't even have to paint!

Thing is prices have rebounded in just about all of the Bay Area.

Prop 13 sets the Statewide rate at 1% of value at the time of transfer... depending on where the property is located... add anywhere from another 10 to 60% on top of that for voter approved measures...

A good thing is the State rate can only go up a max of 2% per year.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
if you bought you would not incur any realtor's fees since the seller is the one who pays them. although, it's a great benefits if you are also selling the home you currently live in.

if you will be here for 2 years i say don't buy.
Thanks for the feedback. My point on the realtor fees is my relocation package would pick up the seller realtor fees if my company moved me in a couple of years. Sounds like most say it's too short of a time horizon to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland