Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM

20 posts, read 22,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating back to the Bay Area after living in NYC for a couple years. I will be working in downtown SF and husband will be working in Fremont. Before moving to NYC we lived in Alameda, and we were ok with it overall though found it a bit boring for a couple without kids.

Since neither of us ever had to drive to work (always took public transit), I am not very familiar with the traffic situation. I am trying to find a place for us to live that will be convenient for me to take public transit into the city and for him to drive to Fremont. We will only have one car so I'll have to be able to walk to transit. We are fine in a 1 bedroom apt (anything will be an improvement size-wise over NYC) with max budget of ~2k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
If you've lived in the East Bay before, wouldn't you know what areas have commuter transit to downtown SF? Why not live in Fremont? You'll be able to get a little more space for your money there, and the convenience of the location is obvious. If you're looking for a place that's "not boring for a couple with no kids", you can look for something in Berkeley/Oakland.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 AM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
The traffic patterns in the morning will generally be south on 880/680 towards Fremont and also in to the city via the Bay Bridge. That said, living between SF and Fremont is a good situation because you have BART that reaches both places.
Some of my choices: Castro Valley, Fremont, Pleasanton, Dublin. I would pick the Oakland Hills, Lafayette, Danville, or Walnut Creek, but it may be too far of a drive into Fremont from these locations.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
The places with the easiest drive to Fremont will be pretty boring for you. Sleepier than Alameda. Although Alameda has gotten a lot more fun with better restaurants in the past 5ish years. So it should be on your list.

But honestly your options are pretty sucky. Fremont is not a fun drive. About 60 minutes from Oakland during the commute. The way home is worse. If there is flexibility on the start time, leaving at about 830-845 will cut 20+ minutes in the am commute. I don't know about the pm but leaving after 630 would help a bit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland