Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Hey Jamal--

Like I said before ... I've just moved back ... first time in many years. I'd like to amend my earlier statments:

DO NOT MOVE TO RICHMOND

... it's off da hook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 20,894 times
Default Richmond, Ca. has MAJOR Redevelopment Plans...already in the making

Yes, unfortunately Richmond does and has had a bad reputation over the last decade. Just two years ago when prices were exploting as high as they could in real estate, well richmond remained one of the more affordable areas in the Bay Area(it figures). Prices are coming down now or the Real Estate market is balancing out from years past.

Richmond is currently changing now. Drive by and you can see changes throughout the city. Richmond always had good people, but that small percentage made the city a focal point in crime,murders and negative remarks. There is a huge difference in being poor and having morals...and there is a huge difference in being poor, having no morals, bieng a theif,*****, murder, and causing violence...these people perhaps due deserve to be drown in the bay and left to drown.

There is a huge redevelopment project going on now!!
West Macdonald Avenue is being redone from I-80 all the way to old downtown Richmond past 6th street. Lots of new homes,towhouses and condominiums are being built there now. There is an area in the middle of Ohio Avenue and Chanslor Street that is being redone; it will be a new walkway with trees,grass,benches, basically a running/walking trail.

I just bought a Condominum there for $ 165,000 2bed,1 bath, 880sq. ft. with a car garage near 16th/Chanslor. The building itself needs help...but this is a great opportunity to build real good equity especially if this area will be redone in the following years.

Reality is that I rented the Condo and will start to remodel in the coming months. I dont have children, and would probably not move there yet If I had a family. This area is safer now...than it was 7-9 years ago...but still needs improvements.

There are many factors in this area that well...would require many more paragraphs to describe...

Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,568 times
Thumbs up Richmond - Another Take

Clearly not the popular viewpoint, but I say YES! (One person's unvarnished opinion).

1) - As the Director of Development and Planning of a vital non-profit here, I am in frequent contact with the City offices - Mayor, City Council, Planning, etc. While it is true that parts of Richmond (many parts) have experienced a great deal of violence, it is equally true that there are more services and approved redevelopment projects underway than in any other county in Ca.

2) - As a resident of the upscale (yet affordable) Marina Bay Resort, I can tell you that for under-market rates you can live in some darned plush places. Check out this website, for instance: www.marinabayca.com. You can live here for half the price of anywhere else in the Bay Area - and the photos on the site are actually representative of the homes.

3) - If you want to be close to everywhere - Marin to SF and everything in between - this is the spot for you. Traffic on 80 or 580 is indeed a nightmare, but since Richmond is just 5 miles outside of Berkeley, that's no different. The only difference is that Richmond has a central transit hub the other East Bay Cities do not enjoy: Busses, BART and Amtrack in one central station.

4) - Real estate investment? Last bastion of hope in the Bay Area.I barely made a profit when in the Oakland Hills for seven years; here it is much quicker.Also, much easier to buy if your credit isn't perfect.

5) - Kids? Plenty of great local resources; private schools if you do not want to integrate. One of America's finest performing arts academies exists here; try www.eastbaycenter.org for just one. Resources for kids are endless and mostly free.

6) - Want to start or relocate a business? Go to the Chamber of Commerce site (sorry, don't have url handy) and look at all of the breaks and incentives you get.

7) - Want progressive? Our new mayor-elect Gayle McLaughlin (sp?) is not only a woman, but a Green party person; making her the mayor of the largest Green city in America.

8) - Love nature? Hundreds of miles of Bay trails; thousands of acres of parks (both seaside and mountain); boating - you name it.

9) - Want to work in the non-profit arena? This is absolutely the place to be. Take your mid-level skills and get a higher-level position; great for career building. Make a difference!

10) - (And I'll keep it to 10): I can tell you I traded in a fat job in Hollywood for the privilege of being here. I think it is important for the kids in my life to see multi-cultural interaction and cooperation at work.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,532 times
Ya Know?.. To me it's a sad thing for such a beautiful city to have such a bad reputation.. I am one of those who were born and raised in richmonds "Ghetto" areas..
My mom was a single mother raising 5 kids,we had no father in the home.. Unfortunately this is how it was for many single mothers living in richmond.. My mother did something right because my brothers and sisters never became a statistic..
We were all mannerable hard working kids who never got into any trouble..

We knew we were poor and didn't have all the luxuries of others,but we had each other and lived in a house full of love..

The crime rate is unbelievable to me.. Every time I hear about another death or crime activity in richmond my jaw still drops.. And it's the reason why all of my sisters and brother moved out of there..
Now we all live and work in other cities,in areas where we can safely raise our children.. And hopefully do just as good of job as my mom did with us..

Richmond has the best weather in the world but thats just about the only positive thing i can say about it.. No you can't gather all the poor people and dump them into the bay.. But,Will it alway's be a crime ridden city?. What is the solution to making richimond a decent place to live?.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 25,765 times
veganwriter,
I really enjoyed reading your post about Richmond. I am a pastor on my way to Richmond and am trying to learn as much as I can about the city and your post was very helpful.
I will be located at 28th and Rheem. Could you tell me a little about that part of the city?
Ethnic make-up, recreation, etc.
I am really excited about coming to Richmond and am seeking to plant a church that is multi-ethnic, multi-economic, and any other multi you can think of. I actually love the diversity that seems to be in Richmond and am looking forward to jumping in with both feet when I arrive. I digress.
Anyway thanks for your post and i would appreciate some feedback.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 23,165 times
why iz every body always talking bad about richmond?? it aint that bad juss that people make it seem like the worst place to ever live in!!....trust me it is not like if ur kid iz walking down tha street he is automatically going to get shot!!!...a lot of people are always talking shyt bout richmond and they need to stop!!....oh nd by tha way it doesnt matter were u are from theres killers everywhere!!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuLiAn510 View Post
why iz every body always talking bad about richmond?? it aint that bad juss that people make it seem like the worst place to ever live in!!....trust me it is not like if ur kid iz walking down tha street he is automatically going to get shot!!!...a lot of people are always talking shyt bout richmond and they need to stop!!....oh nd by tha way it doesnt matter were u are from theres killers everywhere!!
Regardless of what you say, Richmond IS that bad. Just yesterday there was a gang shoot out and a by standard was shot in the head. Today a Police officer was shot at while in his police car leaving the station. On tues Two people were shot and killed. The murder and crime rate is WAY out of proportion to the number of people who live there. If you are a black or latino person (Especially male) you are a target of violence. I would not feel comfortable as a young black man walking around in parts of Richmond which consists of most of the city, and I live in Oakland. Close to the Acorn housing projects.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:47 PM

67 posts, read 148,033 times
Run The Other Way As Fast As You Can And Make Sure You Have On A Bullet Proof Vest!!!!!!!!......

Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Okay ... it's like this: If you have a family ... if you have kids ... you're a fool if you move to Richmond. Bring them to Oklahoma. You'll be shocked.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,097 times
Default Very Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurstar View Post
Richmond is one of the worst place, if not the worst place, to live in the SF Bay area. I would not let my kids walk on the streets of Richmond.

Just curious.... Of all places you can pick, how in the world did you pick out Richmond???!!! Is it close to the would-be work place? Close to your friends/family?
I'm from North Richmond ... and let me tell you, it is one of the most deadly places in California next to Compton which is on the opposite side of i.e. Southern Part of California.

Richmond is nice if you can get to the hills, but outside of that .. you are dead just for walking through Richmond California ... especially North Richmond ... I've been to Saint Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, Florida, New York, Los Angeles, Compton (which is just as bad), North West Los Vegas (very bad) and I have to say I would choose any of these place beside Compton and North West Las Vegas to Richmond, especially North Richmond.

If they don't recognize your car they will shoot you dead!

I've been shot out there and I had 14 cousins murdered in the Rich-town ... Stay away because you will have sleepless night and bullet holes through your house ... That's how it is in the Rich ... That's why I moved out of there, got my degree and I'm making it ... STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM RICHMOND ... ESPECIALLY NORTH RICHMOND!!!

www . youtube. com/watch?v=axAuECZyd7U

Last edited by One Hitter Quiter; 09-29-2007 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Had to add a youtube video of Richmond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland