Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain what positve effects rioting has? People who are totally innocent lose their property, people get injusred or killed, many end up arrested and nothing is proven, except the fact a lot of idiots will do anything to get attention. Talk about thugs, wow. Tell me why anyone would even want to live in Oakland? At least some protests were peaceful, that is different. It still doesn't solve anything but it doesn't cause damage and destruction either.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tell me why anyone would even want to live in Oakland?
I have quite a charmed life in Oakland. I have no reason to want to give that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay
It seems as if Oakland has become the center in the Bay Area for protests. The shift has been happening away from San Francisco to Oakland for sometime now. Some of it is probably due to the changing demographics with the activist crowd leaving the Mission and moving over here. Also, BART hubs out of Oakland making this the easiest place to get to by transit.
The NYTimes put out an article 2 years ago calling Oakland the last bastion of radicalism in America. I think cost of living vs SF us the main reason, as well as the rise of Uptown.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Six shot and wounded in S.F.

Not sure if it's related to protests or not (I doubt it), but how is the headline for SF Gate right now about the 'violent' protests in Oakland when SIX freaking people got shot in the Mission last night??

Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM

365 posts, read 779,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

Not sure if it's related to protests or not (I doubt it), but how is the headline for SF Gate right now about the 'violent' protests in Oakland when SIX freaking people got shot in the Mission last night??
I know, if that happened in Oakland can you imagine the outrage is the SF media? When I saw the blurb I thought, wait -- that was a few weeks ago.This is the second time in a month 6 people were shot in the Mission!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I imagine, as usual most of the looters and violent protesters will be not from Oakland and will continue to blemish the city. I do not understand why Oakland is the epicenter for fake protesters.

It does not help that Quan has given her tacit approval over the years.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM

24,403 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

Ignoring questions by trying to take the attention away doesn't solve anything. It'd be like gun control advocates saying "gun violence is high in the US, so why aren't we requiring universal background checks?" Only to be countered from a gun supporter as "Well look at how many people die each year in North Korea and their citizens aren't allowed guns, so nope, no problem here."

Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Ignoring questions by trying to take the attention away doesn't solve anything. It'd be like gun control advocates saying "gun violence is high in the US, so why aren't we requiring universal background checks?" Only to be countered from a gun supporter as "Well look at how many people die each year in North Korea and their citizens aren't allowed guns, so nope, no problem here."
We need a thread about media bias in the local media. The other week I saw an article about deadly shooting and stabbings in SF over a weekend. They were combined in one article, buried 2/3s onto the home page after car collisions involving pedestrians in Walnut Creek, Santa Rosa and other less important regional news.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:34 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:
Nobody is denying that the riots in Oakland are a total mess. But the selective reporting by the media is really disingenuous. SIX PEOPLE GOT SHOT. Oh it's just a nightclub in SF, no big deal.

A common pattern I notice on these boards and in general is that when violence happens in Oakland it's typical and to be expected, but whenever it happens in SF it's somehow a mystery that doesn't warrant discussion or investigation. Nothing to see here, move along now. Overall, the Bay Area has a real problem with violence, but people really don't seem to notice unless we're talking about Oakland.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times
The problem with the protests is, 90% of the people involved have their own agenda (looting, destroying, etc, even the stepfather was yelling out "burn this ***** down" after the verdict). They are mostly predatorial animals taking advantage of the situation. They don't give 2 ****s about the man who was killed. They also don't care about the judicial system, for instance, they only think highly of it when it falls in their favor (flashback to people dancing in the streets when O.J. was found not guilty). Instead of looking at the facts presented, they ignore those facts because they didn't get the "justice" they felt they were owed. After seeing the video of Brown robbing the store owner, as well as physically terrorizing the store owner, I am more prone to believe that he attacked the officer as the Grand Jury (which had 3 blacks on it) found. The officer had no record of wrongdoing during his career, whereas you can see the type of over agressive thug that Brown was, the video doesn't lie. No mother should have to bury her teenaged son. But where was this mom while her son was stealing and terrorizing others ? Not saying he deserved to die, but anyone who attacks police officers will get shot, and anyone who attempts to KILL a police officer will most likely die.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Well, good question: how many people DO die in North Korea each year? You mean it's dangerous to NOT have guns in DPRK? Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland