Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
I wonder what happened to it. Now it barely clings to being a working class city.
We lived in the bay area (Marin co) clear back in the 60s and Hayward was pretty much working class then. Or it had that reputation anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEKTO View Post
Several people commented here that Hayward started to declined after 9/11 - can some explain pleae what the correlation is?
a bunch of section 8s and crazy people from Oakland and Southern California started moving into Hayward slowly during the 1990s and all hell broke loose after 9/11. Once 2005 came in (I was still a minor in 2005), my parents decided to get the hell out of Dodge and move to the North Bay near Napa. Have been there since.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
What's bizarre about this thread is that the median price of a home in Hayward is $447,000, and the median household income in the Bay Area is about $76,000 at last estimate. Based on the old 30% "rule of thumb," the average household in the Bay Area should be buying a house for about $253,000. In other words houses in Hayward cost almost twice as much as the average Bay Area household should reasonably be paying for housing, and here is a thread lamenting it's lost days as a "middle class" city! Only in the Bay Area...
lol. Go visit Hayward right now. A lot of people who own their homes right now in Hayward bought before property prices went higher than the Empire State Building.

And yes, I am lamenting about the lost glory days of Hayward. That place is a total ghetto ****hole now unlike how it was before and during the 1990s.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
lol. Go visit Hayward right now. A lot of people who own their homes right now in Hayward bought before property prices went higher than the Empire State Building.

And yes, I am lamenting about the lost glory days of Hayward. That place is a total ghetto ****hole now unlike how it was before and during the 1990s.
Some people on this forum (like yourself) seem like they have never been to a real ghetto....

Go take a little ride to a real ghetto and tell me that Hayward is a "total ghetto ****hole"

Old 12-05-2014, 08:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Some people on this forum (like yourself) seem like they have never been to a real ghetto....

Go take a little ride to a real ghetto and tell me that Hayward is a "total ghetto ****hole"
I agree. Many on this board seem to think anyplace black people live is a ghetto. Not every city is Caucasian acres.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
a bunch of section 8s and crazy people from Oakland and Southern California started moving into Hayward slowly during the 1990s and all hell broke loose after 9/11. Once 2005 came in (I was still a minor in 2005), my parents decided to get the hell out of Dodge and move to the North Bay near Napa. Have been there since.
What does "all hell broke loose" mean, and what did it have to do with 9/11?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I agree. Many on this board seem to think anyplace black people live is a ghetto. Not every city is Caucasian acres.
I've been hearing this more and more...

As a child, my family moved from Oakland to Hayward for a time and then back to Oakland... I still have friends there from when we lived there.

The Bay Area is a funny place... people are always in motion/moving.

When we moved back to Oakland... many of the Oakland people I knew were moving to San Leandro/Hayward and those in Hayward were moving to Castro Valley and those in Castro Valley were moving to Dublin/San Ramon/Pleasanton

The funny thing is I know about a dozen kids from Pleasanton that now live in Oakland... one 20 something young lady rents a room in Oakland's Rockridge on a street where her parents once lived and she can't believe her parents left Oakland for Pleasanton...

The only constant is change

Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've been hearing this more and more...

As a child, my family moved from Oakland to Hayward for a time and then back to Oakland... I still have friends there from when we lived there.

The Bay Area is a funny place... people are always in motion/moving.

When we moved back to Oakland... many of the Oakland people I knew were moving to San Leandro/Hayward and those in Hayward were moving to Castro Valley and those in Castro Valley were moving to Dublin/San Ramon/Pleasanton

The funny thing is I know about a dozen kids from Pleasanton that now live in Oakland... one 20 something young lady rents a room in Oakland's Rockridge on a street where her parents once lived and she can't believe her parents left Oakland for Pleasanton...

The only constant is change
This is interesting. The opposite was true on my mother's side of the family. The whole extended family stayed put in the same neighborhood where they were raised, some even staying where their pioneer ancestors settled when they first arrived in CA. The only reason my siblings and I moved out of the neighborhood is we couldn't afford to buy there. But my mom and her sister settled down just a couple of blocks from the house they were raised in.

I wonder if that 20-something's parents moved from Oakland so that she could go to a better school for high school. That tended to be the impetus for quite a few families in the Rockridge/Claremont area: kids nearing HS age, and the parents didn't want them to go to Oakland Tech or Berkeley High.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post

I have. I go to the ****ty parts of Oakland, Richmond, and Vallejo from time to time. Looks similar to Hayward (yet again, I grew up in the Tennyson area and that area by far has been hit hard).

Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am Mexican-American. I don't flee to Caucasian majority cities because of stupidity. I live in a multi-ethnic city of Solano County and have no problems living with non-Caucasians. Understand when I say that Hayward has truly gone to the ****s because a bunch of crazies from Oakland and SoCal moved in that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland