Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,221 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!
Now then,

I may get a new job in Kentfield, Marin County. If I get the job, my salary would be around USD 70,000. In the first year I'll be living alone, before my family comes and joins me. I have searched apartments for rent online, but I've found none in Kentfield. I'm interested in knowing where would the best apartments -suitable for my income- be. In which city? I wish if the apartment I rented would be close to my job.

I'd also be interested to know more about Marin County. What are the most difficult challenges I may face while living there? Shall I need a car, or would public transport be available? I'm quite aware of the relatively high cost of living there, but I still need to know more about this area.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by RedskinsFan1976; 12-07-2014 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,793 times
I haven't lived in Marin for many years, and my information is dated, but I'll hope that my two cents will be better than no response at all.

Kentfield includes College of Marin. It sounds like the first rental you'll be looking for will be for one year only. In your shoes, I'd be tempted to check out campus resources for shared rentals, roommates wanted and so on.

For apartments, I'd focus on San Rafael and Marin City. If you're willing to look further afield, you could check out Novato and even Point Richmond, across the bay ... although a Point Richmond apartment would require you to budget for the toll costs on the bridge.

Rentals should also get cheaper as you head west, on winding Sir Francis Drake Blvd. to Woodacre, Lagunitas and beyond. I've known many who have chosen to live inexpensively that far out, but they usually feel pretty isolated when they do.

Marin County is an unusually nice, pricey suburb of the Bay Area. I can't think of anything to warn a newcomer about.

I'm a regular transit rider in San Francisco, but would never try to live in Marin County without a car.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:46 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
I would look around San Rafael, enjoy!

Old 12-07-2014, 06:43 PM

483 posts, read 842,082 times
For commute purposes, I would generally look at places that are south of Kentfield (assuming you have to take 101 for some part of your commute) so that you are going against the normal rush hour traffic.

I'm about 99% sure that you will want a car. There is some public transportation in Marin but it is not extensive and is mostly focused on getting to/from San Francisco and the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland