Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM

629 posts, read 619,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I remember that. Fun times driving on I-95 with wipers going as fast as they can, me driving 5-10 mph, and still not being able to see the road. One thing I notice people in CA don't do enough is turn on their lights during rain. I need to see your rear lights, people!
I agree, but that also takes some common sense as well. For instance, on the freeway often you follow the lights of the car in front of you because visibility isn't great (yes, I know, the logic is terrible, but that's how it goes in these storms). And then smart people pull over to the side of the freeway because of all the rain, and.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 08:57 AM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I am working from home today (as with most days of the week), but we received an email yesterday from management, asking all staff to work remotely and to not come to the office unless you absolutely must.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I'm originally from NJ but live in AZ now.

My coworkers in the Bay Area are all planning to work from home tomorrow due to the weather, so I asked one what kind of weather they are getting. He told me 3 inches of rain and 35 mph winds.

I thought...."meh....back home that's a medium strength Nor'Easter. Not really a big deal"

But I guess it is in Cali.

I know here in AZ, that would be like a biblical flood
It will vary by location. Guernville in the north bay has received 7.28 of rain in 24 hours! I don't care where you are, that's a huge amound of rain for a 24 hour period.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Californians crack me up.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Experience a Nor'easter in NY, a hurricane in Miami, a tornado in Oklahoma or a serious thunder and lightning storm in Texas, and the panic over rain in the Bay Area will seem rather cute.
uh-huh, and you guys sh*t your pants during the mildest of earthquakes so don't mock.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM

379 posts, read 785,706 times
Normally on Thursdays I go into work and am out and about running errands most of the day. Today? ... yeah, definitely working from home.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
People do it all the time. Hell, I remember driving in some great storms in Texas where you have a split second of visibility between swings of the wiper blade and literal waves of water on the windshield. And people still drive 80 on the freeway. It's really not that big a deal if you do it all the time (it's actually safer than a light rain with all the oils on the road) and know what you're doing. I'm actually a bit curious about this storm to see what is considered bad to you folk. I'll probably be a bit amused.
Of course, drainage is more important than volume of water. That's the real concern here.

Until rain is parallel to the ground and soak my entire leg only one side within 3 seconds of walking outside I don't consider anything here to be a real storm.
Looking forward to it. Leaving my umbrella at home to tempt fate

Good luck my friends!
Absolutely! The Bay area is pretty well set with storm sewers, unlike the Southwest, where even a brief downpour can cause hazardous pools of water in the roads that can cause a car to plane.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It will vary by location. Guernville in the north bay has received 7.28 of rain in 24 hours! I don't care where you are, that's a huge amound of rain for a 24 hour period.
That is a lot of rain, even by east coast standards!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That is a lot of rain, even by east coast standards!
Thing is, these sorts of storms used to be more common. I remember growing up and watching blinding sheets of rain fall in Berkeley. One or two storms a year would also have the wicked winds. This storm is being talked about so much because it's been about 5 years since one this intense has hit California. California has always had periods of drought but there are also normal years thrown in there with a few unusually wet years. Lately, it seems like drought is more persistent. Rainfall in Socal has always been much more erratic.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Well, that was lame lol... it was just rain with some winds and now it's over. It looks like wine country got hit 100x more than SF.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Lots of wind and rain today, but things seemed to have quieted down, at least for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland