Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see this happening?
Yes 10 43.48%
No 9 39.13%
Maybe 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
A more accurate comparison would be L.A. and the Inland Empire. I've always said that if So Cal was it's own separate state, Riverside would probably be our capitol city.

L.A. = S.F. / Oakland

I.E. = Sacramento / Stockton

Orange County = Silicon Valley
I meant the analogy more in how the people living in these places see themselves. I don't ever really foresee people in Sacramento seeing themselves as being part of the Bay Area (or a Bay Area mega region) since they've been traditionally separate places for so long.

I'm not sure if that is completely analogous to places like the I.E. and OC in southern CA. Mainly because these places were never really very built up/established to begin with, and also because when you ask many people from these areas where they're from, often they'll say "LA". Obviously in the furthest reaches of these areas you might get a varying answer/fine-tuned response ("Near LA", "east of LA" or "south of LA", for example)...but I think people in these areas generally see their regions as being an extension of LA (generally being the keyword here).

I don't think people in SD, even in the northern-most reaches of SD county near the base, see themselves as being in the same region of LA. Even if they are in the same mega region that's pretty well-connected.

I agree that the I.E. and OC are a good analogies for Stockton/Tracy/Modesto and Silicon Valley, respectively (although I don't think the central valley near SF is as well-connected to it as the I.E. is to LA...still way too much agriculture and undeveloped land). But I don't think this really extends as much to Sacramento.

I think Sacramento is more like SF's San Diego in this analogy. And will probably stay that way for a long time, even as the two areas grow more connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,512,969 times
Quote:
A more accurate comparison would be L.A. and the Inland Empire. I've always said that if So Cal was it's own separate state, Riverside would probably be our capitol city.

L.A. = S.F. / Oakland

I.E. = Sacramento / Stockton

Orange County = Silicon Valley
That's really not a more accurate comparison at all seeing as LA and the IE are part of the same CSA.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:41 PM

18,972 posts, read 32,512,969 times
Quote:
Stockton used to be a very nice clean green wholesome Central Valley city and at that time more like Sacramento and other Central Valley towns, now it's an exurb, violent, and broke step child of the Bay Area. The Bay Area media maligns it constantly, while the Sacramento media still treats it with respect like the bucolic Central Valley city it used to be.
So what do your news stations call bank robbery's and shootings? "Misunderstandings"? lol

Quote:
The core of Sacramento is growing up, more dense, urban, with infill. Sacramento is taking it's growth cues from Portland and San Francisco not suburban Southern Cal.
Seems like the other 90% of the Sacramento region is taking it's cues from suburban wherever as that is all that you find outside of Sac's tiny "core".

Old 12-18-2014, 03:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,548,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
I was reading something online recently and it mentioned that if growth continues between the two areas a mega region of over 12 million would develop. What are your thoughts on the possibility of this occurring?
I don't see this, basically due to the way the census bureau organizes CSAs. Right now San Francisco is part of the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA, I really don't foresee something happening that would make San Jose drop from the CSA with SF, which would be what is necessary for the MSA of SF-Oakland to be combined with that of Sacramento MSA, or Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Yuba City CSA, instead of the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara CSA. There are too many commuters currently in Alameda County and San Mateo County that commute to Santa Clara County for the two MSAs to not be considered part of the same CSA, I don't think this will change anytime in the next many years.
So I would imagine the answer is that no, it won't happen, any CSA with San Francisco in it would include San Jose.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:54 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,547,128 times
Quote:
Yolo County is part of the Sacramento Metropolitan Area, from what I can see. Yolo borders Solano County, which is part of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose CSA, so in essence, there is no barrier between the metropolitan areas. It's one contiguous Megalopolis from Gilroy all the way to Applegate with some open space here and there.
I'm aware of all that, my point was that because Yolo County doesn't allow sprawl development, there will always be a big open empty space on the drive between the Bay Area and Sacramento that makes people feel like they left one metro area and are entering another area. Camp Pendleton provides this same type of break between San Diego and LA; the fact that Camp Pendleton is technically within San Diego County and therefore part of the San Diego Metro Area is irrelevant to that.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:56 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,547,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I don't see this, basically due to the way the census bureau organizes CSAs. Right now San Francisco is part of the San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CSA, I really don't foresee something happening that would make San Jose drop from the CSA with SF, which would be what is necessary for the MSA of SF-Oakland to be combined with that of Sacramento MSA, or Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Yuba City CSA, instead of the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara CSA. There are too many commuters currently in Alameda County and San Mateo County that commute to Santa Clara County for the two MSAs to not be considered part of the same CSA, I don't think this will change anytime in the next many years.
So I would imagine the answer is that no, it won't happen, any CSA with San Francisco in it would include San Jose.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the way most people understand this question is that the existing San Jose-San Francisco area would expand to include the Sacramento area. I'm not sure I'm following why San Jose would need to be dropped for that to happen.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:09 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,246,952 times
San Jose is like 120 miles away from Sacramento. I don't know of any CSAs in the country with a 120 mile distance between cities...

Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
San Jose is like 120 miles away from Sacramento. I don't know of any CSAs in the country with a 120 mile distance between cities...
It would be called San Jose-San Francisco-Sacramento CSA, (S3?) I think the biggest issue is that Sacto does have jobs, it would require some crazy change to have people from Sacto commute to Solano county and beyond, there is a minimum commuter base that is necessary from the entire developed area around Sacto to commute to Solano Co. and beyond. If you consider development patterns around Sacto this is even less likely, the only real development west of Sacto are Davis and West Sacramento, almost all of the Sacto metro is to the northeast further from Solano Co.

Essentially either Davis and West Sacramento grow big and have a large commuter base west.
Or a big depression hits the area and people have to choice but to seek jobs in Solano Co. and into the Bay Area.
Or Genentech and companies build up major employers in Solano Co. (while somehow Fairfield, Vacaville and Suison City get too expensive and or fail to expand), that people start moving to Davis, West Sacramento and Sacto to commute to Vacaville etc.

I doubt we would see any of these happen within my lifetime.

But who knows, Solano Co could have a boom in something and become built out and more expensive in 20 years so people start commuting from Sacto region and somewhat vice-versa by then.

I think the lack of jobs and overall development in the I-80 corridor between Vacaville and West Sacramento will mean a lot has to change for a merger of MSAs/CSAs

Old 12-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the way most people understand this question is that the existing San Jose-San Francisco area would expand to include the Sacramento area. I'm not sure I'm following why San Jose would need to be dropped for that to happen.
I kind of interpreted it as the census bureau name San Francisco-Sacramento(-Oakland?) CSA which means that San Jose MSA is not part of it, since there was no mention of the metro area it seemed like the more logical interpretation, but I can see how you could see it differently.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:28 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,246,952 times
I think some people vastly overestimate the growth rate of US cities sometimes. This isn't China or India we're talking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland