Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 AM

4 posts, read 12,178 times

Advertisements

I'm a greater Bay native, and am writing a travel guide of sorts to the region. I came across this forum (I was also into urban studies for a while and love cities, so I'm glad I did) and thought I'd ask the same thing I've asked before on travel forums - I've got a list of neighborhoods and cities I like, and am going to be featuring them in the guide. Using these as a base, can anyone suggest any more in the greater Bay that I might be interested in checking out?

Telegraph, Berkeley
Piedmont Ave, Oakland
Point Richmond
Bolinas
Sebastopol
Japantown, San Jose
Santa Cruz
Inner Richmond, Inner Sunset, Mission, Chinatown, Haight; SF

I've got a few more but I'm blanking. My to do list includes Lakeshore, Oakland; 4th Street, Berkeley; Bodega Bay and a few other spots.

I'm focusing on arts districts, vibrant ethnic neighborhoods, that kind of thing - a little danger is ok, but not too much. Also looking for things to do in the metro area, but that's a whole other can of worms...

Any suggestion welcome - done a lot of research, but there seems to be some wisdom here. Thanks,

Rylan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 AM

Just found Jingletown in a thread in this forum - that's one I definitely have to check out.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Also, does anyone know West End Village in San Rafael?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Go to Uptown in Oakland, and see if you can catch the Art Deco tour. Or just go on a first Friday Art Murmur or weekly Saturday Stroll.

Also try Temescal. Solano Ave in Berkeley/Albany. Downtown Livermore is pretty interesting actually.

Fruitvale District and Chinatown in Oakland. "Koreatown" in Oakland is below Temescal.

If you start south in Telegraph in Oakland, and end in Berkeley, you'll go through "Koreatown" "Little Ethiopia," the mini Middle Eastern strip with mosques, middle eastern shops and butchers. The whole street has stuff going on.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,765,463 times
Jingletown is definitely an area worth checking out. While the neighborhood itself doesn't have any main business corridor, it's right next to the Fruitvale & International corridor and the Park Street corridor in Alameda. It's also next to BART. The neighborhood has a very sizeable arts scene... one of the more interesting businesses in Jingletown is the Institute of Mosaic Art, which has a full gallery of mosaic art and they offer classes on how to do it. You can see a variety of their pieces throughout the neighborhood. Here's some of them:

Here's the website for Jingletown's arts community:

Jingletown Arts and Business Community | Art on the Edge of Oakland California

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM

20 posts, read 23,879 times
Oakland is edgy, not not Piedmont Ave, which is older and more established. Try just east of Lake Merritt Or West Oakland. Emeryville too.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Add Grand Lake and Rockridge in Oakland to your list, also Elmwood in Berkeley.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses! Definitely into checking out these suggestions; I'm especially interesting by the DT Livermore suggestion; that ties in nicely with some other things I have to do in the Lower East Bay, and I'd never heard that before.

Been to and didn't like Rockridge; too posh. And East and West Oakland might be a little too 'edgy' for me, trapped. But thanks again y'all

Old 01-03-2015, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 7,083 times
Default SoFA (SOuth First Arts) District, Downtown San Jose

I realize this thread is old and the guide is probably made, but if you're interested in updating it, a HUGE spot to hang in downtown San Jose is the South First Arts District, centered on South First Street between San Carlos and Reed Streets. There are a number of great galleries on the strip (Anno Domini, Institute of Contemporary Art, MACLA, Zero1 Garage, et. al.), two independent small theatre companies (The Stage, and City Lights), as well as a number of bars and cafes (Caffe Frascatti, Cafe Stritch) that have live music and open mics. Stritch specializes in stellar jazz shows, free on Sunday, covers for big hitters on Fri/Sat. There's also a climbing gym/art gallery and a number of nightclubs. San Jose has been doing "South First Fridays" since before the days of Art Murmur in Oakland, which seems to have effectively monopolized attendance over all other first friday events in the Bay. The Zero1 festival (a first friday) every summer closes off the whole street for art/DIY vendors, a concert stage, interactive art installations, video art wall projections (with acrobats!), local coffee roasters, and all kinds of costumed performance art going on, a general bohemian wonderland, and the street really starts to feel like Art Murmur used to. Few people outside the South Bay really know of this, since Oakland takes most of the hype these days.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:48 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Too bad it's an old thread. Sounded like a fun project. I wonder how it turned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland