Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 19,103 times

Advertisements

You guys are right. It is terribly close to the Loin. An yes, I do need to hang out in those areas after dark. Just to see how would it feel to walk down the block to grab some milk.

Apartment hunting is difficult, especially since I live WAY out here.

Thanks for the help guys! Keep it coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 03:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARahman View Post
You guys are right. It is terribly close to the Loin. An yes, I do need to hang out in those areas after dark. Just to see how would it feel to walk down the block to grab some milk.

Apartment hunting is difficult, especially since I live WAY out here.

Thanks for the help guys! Keep it coming
This discussion has become very interesting and usefull to the OP. Good info about the margins of the Tenderloin by Nob Hill. There's a Cala grocery store just 2-3 blocks uphill from that Sutter location, walking past the hospital. As gnomatic said, it's a decent neighborhood just a block uphill, so, knowing that, you can use that info to guide you in your future searches. Seems like that's a pocket for more affordable rents. However, as he indicated, parking could be a problem, in terms of putting the apt. rent out of affordability. Another thing to keep in mind in your search.

You can also look for rents around the Fillmore, which is a few blocks west of that area, and a great area for shopping and other amenities. There's a Whole Foods in that neighborhood. Probably best to keep to the northern part of the Fillmore, again, to avoid the Tenderloin-y area. Anything from about Bush St. to the north. There are some new buildings in that area that may have their own parking garage.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 19,103 times
You guys are right about the car. I have to think about adding $300 to any apartment that I consider. Errrgh!

How does the Mission district stack up?

Cozy 1bd, hardwood floors, 1 block to BART!

There are a couple listings which seems feasible price wise, just not sure about the location.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

The Mission is gentrifying. It used to be the Latino barrio. So it's a transitional neighborhood at this point, on the upswing.

When are you looking to move? How urgent is this?

There are some small buildings in the Richmond district that have parking on the ground floor. But there, and in the Sunset District, you're looking at a long bus ride to downtown. They have express buses, but still, it's not the same as BART. But there are some nice apartments out there, and it's near GG Park and the beach. Great restaurants. It's more affordable out there, because it's so far from downtown. Also, there's more fog, but not so much in the "Inner Richmond" and "Inner Sunset". There are also some large, remodeled buildings facing GG Park, in the Richmond.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
San Francisco is overrated.
I couldn't agree more. That city is expensive and the inhabitants of that city are weirdos. I'll rather stick to living in the Outer East Bay Suburbs (Walnut Creek and Concord).

Old 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM

OP, there are a couple of places in the Richmond that would work. One is 1 br. $1895, looks light and bright. Look it up on C'list.

Here's the other one, and it includes parking. Just had an open house, Sunday. Not sure if still available. $2095.

*** 2 UNITS AVAILABLE ***--1BR/1BA Apartments+Parking Space

These are good, quiet locations, though a bit of a haul to downtown. Excellent location for shopping, restaurants, GG Park. I love the Richmond!

Old 12-30-2014, 04:27 PM

OP, I have a winner for you! If you can make it to their Open House TODAY at 6 pm! Parking included. Richmond Dist.

UPDATED Central Richmond 2BR/1BA Apartment SF Presidio AVAILABLE NOW!

The Richmond is full of little buildings like this, 3 stories (technically 4), ground-floor parking, neat, tidy, quiet apts., some with elevator. Some are newer than others.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARahman View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I have been tirelessly looking through CL ads for the past week. Just so I can educate myself with the prices in various areas. I've found some decent places for 2200-2500 within a mile walk of my office. I just haven't had the chance to actually go and inspect the area and the building. I'm not looking for a modern building with all the amenities. I just want a nice living space to come home to after working.

Question: Is the loin as bad as I hear/read? Look at the following deals...only a mile from where I work

347 Eddy st. - 1BD - Updated and Ready for MOVE IN
895 Sutter St. 1BR Ground Unit w/ Tons of Closet Space!!
Not only is that area a little sketchy, you definitely don't want leave your car overnight on the street there if you expect to return to it with all the parts intact.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:34 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's a Cala grocery store just 2-3 blocks uphill from that Sutter location, walking past the hospital.
That hasn't been a Cala for a few years. It's a Trader Joe's now.

Quote:
How does the Mission district stack up? !
I work 3 blocks from the apartment you listed. It's right on Mission, and very high traffic. This apartment looks like it's on top of the stores/markets right on Mission. It is just a block from the 16th Street Bart station, which is very sketchy. Again, parking space will be an issue.

At your price range, and Bart station proximity requirement, I think you will find most apartments will be in less then desirable neighborhoods in the city. You will have to look farther out if you want to stick near Bart. Look farther south (i.e. Glen Park and beyond) or east (East Bay).

Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
That hasn't been a Cala for a few years. It's a Trader Joe's now.
That's too bad. I hate Trader Joe's. The Cala had a decent deli and bakery section, which T Joe's doesn't have.

Oh well. OP has moved on. There are some apt.s available in Glenn Park in his price-range. Not sure if he's going to stick to the BART requirement, or branch out and try the Richmond. I think as long as he gets free parking included, he could do the Richmond, and drive to work. Or take the Geary express/limited bus.

Here's one on Twin Peaks, $2200, garage parking included

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/4819953641.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland