Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm not an attorney, but I'm pretty sure that as a landlord, he is required to ensure that there is heat, and that it works.

Until then, try covering the inside of your windows with bubble wrap. It sounds crazy, but it helps trap the heat inside. A lot of New Zealanders do this, as houses there are notoriously cold otherwise.
What's with Kiwi houses? Don't they have adequate heating? Are there double-paned windows Down Under? Insulation for walls & ceiling? Home Depot? (Joke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You already signed a lease, why are you worried about getting kicked out?

Do not fear the landlord. He couldn't evict you based on you telling him there isn't adequate heating. The judge would laugh at him if it ever came to that point.
Before going to the landlord, it may be useful to talk to other tenants about their experiences in this matter. Do they also have the same wimpy heaters, and just deal with it, or did they get upgrades when requested? Or is this just an isolated problem in the one apartment nobody wants cuz it's so cold?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,829 times
Try heavy 100 per cent curtains on the windows. Home boots and wool caps help. Oh, and space heaters. If you get sun open the curtains. If you ever find who'll curtains get them. Double curtain rods are even better. A long cardigan in wool is terrific indoors too. Fingerless gloves. I live in Montreal and the temps are in an arctic freeze.

I live on the ground floor and there is no heat below me. I use these little tricks but some extreme days/nights have me dreaming of California. oh
last tip, wool rugs though costly really help too.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:44 PM

213 posts, read 252,525 times
It literally doesn't get below 30F in Oakland (and that's like 2 days of the year). Wear sweaters, plug in some space heaters and get an electric blanket.

Be glad you even have wall heating units in the apartment.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
Try heavy 100 per cent curtains on the windows. Home boots and wool caps help. Oh, and space heaters. If you get sun open the curtains. If you ever find who'll curtains get them. Double curtain rods are even better. A long cardigan in wool is terrific indoors too. Fingerless gloves. I live in Montreal and the temps are in an arctic freeze.

I live on the ground floor and there is no heat below me. I use these little tricks but some extreme days/nights have me dreaming of California. oh
last tip, wool rugs though costly really help too.
Is it normal in the Bay Area for tenants to jump through all kinds of hoops to enable landlords to avoid meeting their obligations?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it normal in the Bay Area for tenants to jump through all kinds of hoops to enable landlords to avoid meeting their obligations?
Simple answer: Yes. It's a veritable slumlord paradise!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
My apartment I just moved into in the city had a broken gas wall heater. It took us contacting the landlord 3 times to get them to replace it. Even then, the heater was only in the bedroom - but once I complained enough, they came out and put in a new one. We supplement that with a rotating space heater (Lasko brand, cost under $80), and we are pleased.

I also complained about the old gas stove, because the burners were more than warm to the touch without the gas actually being on. Not only are they going to replace the stove, but they're putting in new electric outlets for us as well.

If you just signed a lease and are dealing with a property management company, then be the squeaky wheel.

Why in the world would you get kicked out when you're under a contract? Don't be a wuss, stand up for yourself and get what is a basic expectation when you move into a new place - a comfortable living environment.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
Based on OP's description, the heater is not broken. It is an old house and the heating is most likely appropriate at the time of installation.

Note the laws states:
Heating facilities that conformed with applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.

Source is from California legislature website. See #4: Law section.

Note that some tenant website simply states "adequate heating". That is way too vague and not what the law says.

Last edited by jk88cal; 01-14-2015 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Fix link

Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
Based on OP's description, the heater is not broken. It is an old house and the heating is most likely appropriate at the time of installation.

Note the laws states:
Heating facilities that conformed with applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.

Source is from California legislature website. See #4: Law section.

Note that some tenant website simply states "adequate heating". That is way too vague and not what the law says.
You're assuming that an old heater is still providing the same level of heat as it did at installation, and that may not be the case.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
You're assuming that an old heater is still providing the same level of heat as it did at installation, and that may not be the case.
Exactly. Why would a heater that was adequate when installed no longer be adequate for the same amt. of square footage, unless it's just an old heater that's nearing the end of its life-span? Saying, "well, it was adequate when installed" makes no sense. The landlord is still required to provide adequate heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland