Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,048 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just joined the community and I'm trying to get some advice/info about living in Cali. I have a good shot at getting a job where I'd be working in San Ramon, and I was trying to scope out a place to live.

A little background about myself. I'm single and 22 years old, and originally from PA. I'm looking for an area where I could meet other educated young professionals around my age. Also, I'm big into doing outdoor activities and the whole nightlife scene. I think at this point, I'd prefer to live in a more urban location with a lot of people.

I've never been to CA before so any kind of recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

As far as some more general information, I wanted to get to know the differences in culture I could expect moving out there. The friends I have now probably most accurately fit the NYC demographic and from what I've heard and read, the lifestyle in California is quite different. I'm all for being exposed to new culture and experiences, and I just wanted to get an idea of what I can expect.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 PM

23,300 posts, read 23,684,746 times
San Ramon is a nice city, but generally a "bedroom community". Closest for some nightlife is Downtown Walnut Creek, Downtown Pleasanton, parts of Oakland, and Downtown Livermore. Of course, you can go to the city also.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM

379 posts, read 782,665 times
Oakland near 580 would be a reverse commute (30-40 min drive) and have the most young single people nearby. Consider the Uptown, Grand Lake, and Adams Point neighborhoods - maybe also the area around Mills College. If you want to be a little closer to work, downtown Walnut Creek cuts your commute in half and also has nightlife and amenities. It's an older crowd than Oakland and would feel more suburban.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM

833 posts, read 1,193,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
San Ramon is a nice city, but generally a "bedroom community". Closest for some nightlife is Downtown Walnut Creek, Downtown Pleasanton, parts of Oakland, and Downtown Livermore. Of course, you can go to the city also.
It's a sad day when those are what you consider "cities with nightlife"

OP, if you want a bunch of people, good night life, and a decent place to live, your options are limited to SF and that is all. Point blank period. Everything else you are settling. Oakland would be decent at very most.

This is the Bay Area, not LA. It's not all it's cracked up to be. This is coming from someone who is in the same boat as you.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post

OP, if you want a bunch of people, good night life, and a decent place to live, your options are limited to SF and that is all. Point blank period. Everything else you are settling. Oakland would be decent at very most.

This is the Bay Area, not LA. It's not all it's cracked up to be. This is coming from someone who is in the same boat as you.
I appreciate your straightforward response. I would live in San Francisco, but the commute to San Ramon is a little long isn't? (~1 hour).

I've browsed some other threads and come across pretty much the same thing (Walnut Creek, Rockridge, Piedmont, any other Uptown Oakland neighborhoods). From what you say, it probably doesn't compare, but would uptown Oakland be the next best alternative as far as meeting other young people, nightlife, and things to do in general?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 PM

10,295 posts, read 8,455,093 times
Hope you have a big budget for rent as living in SF is extremely expensive. Most people would live in San Ramon and go to SF on the weekends.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 PM

23,300 posts, read 23,684,746 times
It's the only nightlife closely accessible to where the OP wants to stay, in San Ramon. You know of any other places around San Ramon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post

Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,232,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It's the only nightlife closely accessible to where the OP wants to stay, in San Ramon. You know of any other places around San Ramon?
I don't think that Walnut Creek is bad at all for nightlife. Its not exactly the thriving club scene, but there is a critical mass of bars and a lot of young people. Its not like you're so far away that you can't access SF on a weekend if you'd like either.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,926 times
I've lived in San Ramon when I was single and its pretty dead-after 10pm everything pretty much closes down. Oakland and Walnut creek are probably the best places in that area for nightlife.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo69 View Post
I've lived in San Ramon when I was single and its pretty dead-after 10pm everything pretty much closes down. Oakland and Walnut creek are probably the best places in that area for nightlife.
With regards to Oakland, where specifically would be a good place for a young professional? I've seen Rockridge and also Berkeley mentioned but haven't seen any other recommendations. Also, how much would a place run me if I didn't have roomates in both Oakland and Walnut Creek?

I plan on moving out there within the next two months and my base salary will be $70k. Would this be enough to live in these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland