Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I'm moving to the Bay Area from (most recently) Boulder/Denver and would love some input into finding the right part of the city to call home. As of now I am thinking of living somewhere in the city proper although I am open to the surrounding areas depending on cost/commute time/situation/etc.

I really want to find an area that is young and hip with yoga studios, healthy/organic shopping and dining, outdoorsy culture, close to Bart/Muni, not TOO expensive with some funky flavor and warmish weather =)

Any ideas pop into your mind?

Your thoughts are much appreciated =)

Love and light, Xander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
That sounds like the entire city minus the not too expensive part, all of SF is too expensive and the warmest weather in SF is in Hunters Point.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 102,361 times
Which, for the sake of mentioning, is probably one of the roughest neighborhoods in the city (no?), so you don't want to move there.

How yuppie do you want to go? How much grit? And, most importantly, how high is your rent pain threshold?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
HP is not as bad as it used to be. They are cleaning up 3rd St. You should see some of the condo's down there now lining 3rd street near china basin. Soon HP will be like the rest of SF. Upper Middle class- Rich, Asian and white.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,757 times
Default Yuppie/Grit Ratio =)

I'd like to find a 50/50 balance. My thoughts at this point are either the Mission (closer to Delores/Castro, does that make sense?) or either upper or lower Haight. My rent threshold is around $800 although I would dig a bit deeper for the 'right' place/situation.

Thanks for the feedback =0

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
$800? You'll be someone's roommate for sure on that kind of budget. It's even hard to rent an apartment in Oakland for that much.

Both Dolores and Castro go through multiple different neighborhoods. Could you be more specific?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 AM

26 posts, read 70,178 times
I am not sure you could even get into the Tenderloin for $800. If that is absolutely your ceiling, consider a roommate situation. Everyone here uses Craigslist to shop for housing, so that will be your best bet to figure out the market.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM

21 posts, read 107,908 times
Northbeach! Northbeach!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

20 posts, read 102,361 times
Xanderpage, go straight to craigslist; do not pass Go, do not collect $100

Take a look at the different offerings in San Francisco for the rent you're anticipating to afford. Take a look at some of the listings and see what appeals to you. Then come on back and ask about some of the neighborhoods and I'm sure we'll all offer feedback.

I think there are A TON of neighborhoods that would feel great to you--as is said over and over, this is a very diverse, very interesting city to live in. There's a ton of outdoor activity, tons of places to eat, tons of things to do. It's not a segregated or sectioned off city where there's only 1 or 2 fun neighborhoods with entertainment and life of some sort.

But I think the $800 (as mentioned previously) will be one of the key factors influencing your decision.

Dig around, get some data and then come back and let us know what you're thinking.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I was about to suggest Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, Lower Haight, Castro, or North Beach - until you said $800 a month. The others are correct, you'll need to get a roommate (or two) for SF and most surrounding towns. I pay considerably more than that, for a shared house near Bayview/Hunter's Point... which is indeed the roughest part of the city, but I found a secret safe pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland