Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM

141 posts, read 534,622 times

Advertisements

The 6' high dark, coiled turd the city of San Jose commissioned an artist to create and plant in a central downtown park for near $100k years ago that sort of resembles a snake if you look really really hard. But no, it's a turd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
The east bay area in general to me is one of the ugliest places...when I visit it just seems like miles of concrete and buildings with nothing much else. Too much sprawl bugs me

Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
The east bay area in general to me is one of the ugliest places...when I visit it just seems like miles of concrete and buildings with nothing much else. Too much sprawl bugs me
The East Bay is very large and diverse. Are you referring to the scenery along the Nimitz Freeway which runs through most of the industrial sections for the East Bay?

The MacArthur, Warren and Breed Freeways are much more scenic and then there's 24 through Orinda and don't forget 680 from Fremont to Walnut Creek.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:11 PM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
Default The B of A Building--yeech!

The B of A Bldg. is a monstrous black club from a distance and even uglier up close...is the awful slab sculpture still in front of it? ("the banker's heart" was the derivise nickname). SF skyline would look much better without B of A bldg.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie guy View Post
The B of A Bldg. is a monstrous black club from a distance and even uglier up close...is the awful slab sculpture still in front of it? ("the banker's heart" was the derivise nickname). SF skyline would look much better without B of A bldg.
Not all buildings can be a pyramid

Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
I dunno, they kind of go together. The big brown building and the big black turd (Trancendance) in front. But I do think most of Masayuki Nagare's stuff has been a punishment inflicted upon the American people for dropping the bomb on Nagasaki.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
I would agree with the original poster's numero uno - Sutro Tower. What an obnoxiously hideous and prominent eyesore.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 AM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Is that so?
yes it is.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
My father used to work in the BofA building, and had an incredible view from his office... I suppose it's not the most gorgeous building, but I wouldn't call it ugly - sorta '70s retro, I think. Btw, does anyone know the deal with that new blue & white building? It's just north of the Bay Bridge (if I remember correctly), and is very tall and modern looking. Kind of a neat building, but I don't like how it blocks the bridge view from certain angles.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My father used to work in the BofA building, and had an incredible view from his office... I suppose it's not the most gorgeous building, but I wouldn't call it ugly - sorta '70s retro, I think. Btw, does anyone know the deal with that new blue & white building? It's just north of the Bay Bridge (if I remember correctly), and is very tall and modern looking. Kind of a neat building, but I don't like how it blocks the bridge view from certain angles.
You must be thinking of the One Rincon Hill project, a 60 or so story condo tower about three feet from the Bay Bridge. A second slightly shorter one is on the way right next door. There is nothing interesting about them except their height, and their location next to the bridge. Allowing these monsters to go in so close to the bridge was a monumental error on the part of the planning commision in my view, diminishing the beauty and grandure of the bridge for no good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland