Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,589 times

Advertisements

San Fran
Just got back from San fran, spent most of the time on Caltrain routes from Mill Brae isiting local towns etc. Just wondered with the history of earth quakes and such, but the whole time I was there, when i was walking around I felt like I was swaying and dipping up and down like a boat on calm water. At first I thought it was jet lag or that i was feeling ill or something but I did not experience this sensation in New York or when i got home. I have read about roller earthquakes but this literally happened constantly and it actually felt quite cool! Was gonna ask the locals but a.) if it does exist they would be too used to it, or b.) they might think im nuts!

Any other tourists experienced this weird floaty feeling out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 102,369 times
I promise you I'm not being a wiseguy with this response, but: it's distinctly possible that you were dehydrated from your travels and were just having mild dizziness due to low blood volume.

Check out this site if you're curious about earthquakes. The plates are moving and rubbing together, but you really shouldn't have felt any constant motion. They'd have to hand out dramamine upon arrival at SFO if that was the case.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Actually, I feel that all the time here, so maybe some people are more sensitive? Like how animals can sense seismic activity, waaay before any humans can. We obviously don't have constant earthquakes here, but it's possible the plates are always shifting just a little... plus, aren't parts of the Bay Area built on landfills? Then again, I do have low blood pressure (which causes dizziness sometimes), or possibly the OP & I are just crazy - LOL.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 AM

323 posts, read 1,426,064 times
just nuts ...

Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM

123 posts, read 867,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wards View Post
San Fran
Just got back from San fran, spent most of the time on Caltrain routes from Mill Brae isiting local towns etc. Just wondered with the history of earth quakes and such, but the whole time I was there, when i was walking around I felt like I was swaying and dipping up and down like a boat on calm water. At first I thought it was jet lag or that i was feeling ill or something but I did not experience this sensation in New York or when i got home. I have read about roller earthquakes but this literally happened constantly and it actually felt quite cool! Was gonna ask the locals but a.) if it does exist they would be too used to it, or b.) they might think im nuts!

Any other tourists experienced this weird floaty feeling out there?

That sounds fun! Was that your first trip there? Did you go alone? Either way, was it easy to find yourself around? I am very concerned that I will get lost! What areas (cities, towns, cross-streets, intersections, etc...) did you find yourself at most often or had the most 'life' (social activity, people, etc...)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM

21 posts, read 107,953 times
Are you sure you weren't inhaling something around here? ) There is alot of *Fog* and such that would contribute to that sensation. Have a few drinks and you will definately feel like you are on a boat! lol. The only time I ever feel the ground move is during an earthquake, or if I am next to a freeway where a large semi just rolled on by. In any event, did it make your trip more pleasurable?

Keep rolling on~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland