Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoconkid View Post
You avoided answering the question..

Also, if SF was so tolerant why does it hate the military?
Both questions are trollish and total non-sequiturs, unworthy of detailed response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:37 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why do conservatives always think we hate the military? They're warmly welcomed every year during Fleet Week, and I've never noticed any animosity towards them in my 25 years here... please explain why you believe we hate them.

As for the guns comment, how exactly is it intolerant to want to keep our children (and adults) safe? That issue has absolutely nothing to do with "tolerance."
Oh but it does. The US constitution states that the citizens have the right to firearms. Gun control to me means a steady aim.

Banning guns to stop gun violence is like banning cars to stop auto accidents.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I have to disagree with you here. SF does not warmly welcome the Navy and Fleet Week. SF rejected the Iowa battleship display, and it tried to ban the Blue Angels from flying. It tolerates Fleet Week because tourists attending Fleet Week spend money in town. I would have to say “warmly welcomed” is a euphemism in the extreme.

This question is simple. You think banning guns will protect your children. That’s fine, and it’s your right not to have guns in your home, but such laws are intolerant of those who believe having a gun in their homes will protect their children. Fortunately, as is the case with most of San Francisco’s insane attempts to usurp both the U.S. and State Constitutions, the most recent law banning possession of guns was overturned by the courts.

I worked for SFPD for a number of years. The politics of SF is truly a bowl of granola, and only becomes worse as time progresses. If a person is conservative, straight, believes in God, and thinks government should be limited, SF isn't the place to live.
That's why I cannot why any conservative would want to live there. We here in SoCal don't call it "Stalingrad by the Bay" for nothing.lol

Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM

67 posts, read 518,614 times
If a person is conservative, straight, believes in God, and thinks government should be limited, SF isn't the place to live.[/quote]

Just curious - do a lot of people in SF not believe in God?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 52,116 times
man people in frisco believe in god what kinda question is that.

im no expert but i took civics this year which taught me about bein liberal and conservative.

how are you gonna be conservative and live in frisco you gotta be outtta your mind. frisco has soooo much culture man. you got every race available. you got straight and gay people. evvverrryyythanggg. cool thing is that nobody is really stuck up unless there like one of thos fashion people who have all the nice clothes (like suit that cost $5000 no joke check out the macys in frisco they range from 1 grand to like 20 grand)

anyways the main point is that you gotta be open minded and liberal to live in frisco california in general i think...west coast in general...the bay area to me is hella liberal.

when i go to frisco i jus hop on the bus sometimes they dont make you pay. a lotta people smoke weed too. cops really dont trip to hard on that. liquor stores dont ID you...but its the same case in oakland/berkeley. people talk **** about bush all the time and i think hes one of those conservatives.

personally i luv frisco, the bay, and california in general. ive been to other states lik oregon, washington, and i think that they are cool and similar in a way

when i went down to texas, san antonio to visit my cousins...that was weird man. everything was different. it felt like a different world. it was cool but it was bland in a way.

if i were you. i would visit frisco for 2 weeks and see what you think. you can still believe in god and everything. bein conservative...i dunno if you can do that... but the one thing that would hurt you is what others do. you may dislike what you see in frisco if you are strict to your religion. but if you accept everyone else for what they are then you will be fine people in frisco are chill. watch out for the bad areas though

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy123 View Post
man people in frisco believe in god what kinda question is that.

im no expert but i took civics this year which taught me about bein liberal and conservative.

how are you gonna be conservative and live in frisco you gotta be outtta your mind. frisco has soooo much culture man. you got every race available. you got straight and gay people. evvverrryyythanggg. cool thing is that nobody is really stuck up unless there like one of thos fashion people who have all the nice clothes (like suit that cost $5000 no joke check out the macys in frisco they range from 1 grand to like 20 grand)

anyways the main point is that you gotta be open minded and liberal to live in frisco california in general i think...west coast in general...the bay area to me is hella liberal.

when i go to frisco i jus hop on the bus sometimes they dont make you pay. a lotta people smoke weed too. cops really dont trip to hard on that. liquor stores dont ID you...but its the same case in oakland/berkeley. people talk **** about bush all the time and i think hes one of those conservatives.

personally i luv frisco, the bay, and california in general. ive been to other states lik oregon, washington, and i think that they are cool and similar in a way

when i went down to texas, san antonio to visit my cousins...that was weird man. everything was different. it felt like a different world. it was cool but it was bland in a way.

if i were you. i would visit frisco for 2 weeks and see what you think. you can still believe in god and everything. bein conservative...i dunno if you can do that... but the one thing that would hurt you is what others do. you may dislike what you see in frisco if you are strict to your religion. but if you accept everyone else for what they are then you will be fine people in frisco are chill. watch out for the bad areas though

Whoa buster! I've been to San Antonio twice and believe me other cities in America can learn quite a bit from SA on diversity. I saw way more mixed couples(White/Hispanic) than you'd ever see in Los Angeles or Frisco for that matter.

Remember that when the military was desegregated in 1948 it had a carry over effect on San Antonio and the surrounding area. And the people in SA LOVE their military there! You cannot turn your head without seeing military people in that town.:-) San Antonio is lovely "Goldwater libertarian" type of town where they just let people be themselves!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:36 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I have to disagree with you here. SF does not warmly welcome the Navy and Fleet Week. SF rejected the Iowa battleship display, and it tried to ban the Blue Angels from flying. It tolerates Fleet Week because tourists attending Fleet Week spend money in town. I would have to say ``warmly welcomed`` is a euphemism in the extreme.

This question is simple. You think banning guns will protect your children. That`s fine, and it`s your right not to have guns in your home, but such laws are intolerant of those who believe having a gun in their homes will protect their children. Fortunately, as is the case with most of San Francisco`s insane attempts to usurp both the U.S. and State Constitutions, the most recent law banning possession of guns was overturned by the courts.

I worked for SFPD for a number of years. The politics of SF is truly a bowl of granola, and only becomes worse as time progresses. If a person is conservative, straight, believes in God, and thinks government should be limited, SF isn't the place to live.
First of all, why do you assume I am for a gun ban? I was just playing devil's advocate, and asking how that issue was a liberal vs. conservative thing... to be honest, I don't think guns should be outlawed altogether, just more strictly controlled (not sure how, though). I personally hate them, but agree that banning guns wouldn't solve the problems - which proves this isn't divided by political lines, seeing as I'm a raging liberal. Furthermore, I wasn't even aware of this bill, so it's not something I've thought about recently.

As for the military, I don't see any hatred towards them, but whatever... all I know is that I don't hate them, and neither do most people I know, regardless of how the CITY acts. And while SF is obviously a liberal-leaning city, there are plenty of straight, conservative and/or religious people who are quite happy here! I am a practicing Jew, and feel more welcomed here than most other places I've lived & visited.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoconkid View Post
Conservatives are taking over SF. .. Give it a few more years.
Wether conservatives take over this city or not will never take or change the craziness of this city, the city is changing all the time so a new comer conservative to San Francisco might just find themselfs right at home.

A male conservative Christian can survive in San Francisco, even more if they have deep pockets.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, why do you assume I am for a gun ban? I was just playing devil's advocate, and asking how that issue was a liberal vs. conservative thing... to be honest, I don't think guns should be outlawed altogether, just more strictly controlled (not sure how, though). I personally hate them, but agree that banning guns wouldn't solve the problems - which proves this isn't divided by political lines, seeing as I'm a raging liberal. Furthermore, I wasn't even aware of this bill, so it's not something I've thought about recently.
OK, next time write, "I am playing the role of the devil's advocate, and what I have written is purely hypothetical," and I won't assume you are for a gun ban.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 AM

Well whatever. I think this whole thread is silly anyways. Still can't figure out why any conservative would want to live in SF. I'll say one damn thing about Frisco though, it has the best Italian restaurants in the western US!

Here in Los Angeles a good Italian restaurant is like a needle in haystack, HARD TO FIND!LOL That's because for the most part they are owned by middle east people who don't know a damn thing about cooking Italian food.:-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland