Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times

Advertisements

Pardon me for "budding in" but this topic makes me smile. Some of you may have noticed that over in the Utah forum, one of the most popular questions is: "Will I be accepted as a non-LDS/liberal/double-income no-kids person?"

I think the answer to both is that you'll find the majority of people to be accepting of - and a minority people who can relate to - your poltical and social views. Just don't expect to "overthrow the regime".

As for me, if money were no object I'd love to live in San Francisco. I'd still be worried about The Big One though.

I'm done interfering now. As you were...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times
Thats also true the Catholic Church has it's own doctrines but with most resent church scandals concerning pedophile priest, theres something wrong with this picture.

Thats a different subject Tone509, the "BIG ONE", but it's always a valuable thought nobody gives it much thought about those bad boys till they strike without warning, but I for some reason follow them closely and when theres consistant seismic activity then I get ready.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The Catholic church simply does not allow homosexuality.
Then why are so many of them caught doing it?

Quote:
Gay catholics should just join the Episcopal church instead. Its basically watered down catholicism.
I've heard the Episcopal church is fairly gay-friendly, as are Unitarian Universalists (which I guess is sort of a "non-religion") and Presbyterians - at least around here! The Reform Jewish synagogues are also very gay-friendly, especially considering one of my Rabbis is a lesbian.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
[quote=gizmo980;2581439]Then why are so many of them caught doing it?

Beats me. Judaism forbids its followers to eat shell fish and pork but I've met scores of Jews who don't follow those rules.lol

What can I tell you. Catholicism is not Thomas Jefferson I guess.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Then why are so many of them caught doing it?

Beats me. Judaism forbids its followers to eat shell fish and pork but I've met scores of Jews who don't follow those rules.lol
Touche. I do not eat shellfish or pork, but am guilty of mixing milk & meat fairly often - LOL. But unlike the Catholics & homosexuality, we don't preach about the evils of bacon or picket outside Red Lobster. NOBODY from any religion follows every word of their Bible/book, but when they preach about it & then do it behind closed doors, I have to call BS on them.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Touche. I do not eat shellfish or pork, but am guilty of mixing milk & meat fairly often - LOL. But unlike the Catholics & homosexuality, we don't preach about the evils of bacon or picket outside Red Lobster. NOBODY from any religion follows every word of their Bible/book, but when they preach about it & then do it behind closed doors, I have to call BS on them.
This is human nature. Always will be! Because humans cannot be perfect even if they try. All they can do is form an illusion that they are good so others cannot judge them.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Fine enough. Perhaps I should post this excerpt from The Catechism for Adult Catholics.

"Some people have an inclination to sin with another person of the same sex. Such inclinations must be brought under control before doing harm to oneself or others. That being said, it should be noted that persons who are homosexual do not choose their condition. As human persons they are to be treated with all human respect and unjust discrimination against them is forbiden by Jesus' law of love".

Last edited by CamaroGuy; 01-21-2008 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Pardon me for "budding in" but this topic makes me smile. Some of you may have noticed that over in the Utah forum, one of the most popular questions is: "Will I be accepted as a non-LDS/liberal/double-income no-kids person?"

I think the answer to both is that you'll find the majority of people to be accepting of - and a minority people who can relate to - your poltical and social views. Just don't expect to "overthrow the regime".

As for me, if money were no object I'd love to live in San Francisco. I'd still be worried about The Big One though.

I'm done interfering now. As you were...
LMAO. You'll find examples of this on many state/city forums, because people always focus on the stereotypes. When someone doesn't live in a place, that's all they can base their opinions on... so they blow it up in their mind, and think 100% of the city is just like the stereotypes. ALL San Franciscans are gay liberal atheists, ALL Utahians (??) are Mormons with 5 wives & 20 children, and everyone in Las Vegas gambles and strips (or visits strip clubs, LOL). Like someone said about Vegas on another thread, when it really comes down to it, SF is just like any other place... we might have more liberals and gays than most cities, but you'll also find conservatives & plenty of heterosexuals. And whether or not people believe it, the majority of us are welcoming to anyone - as long as you're not a dillhole, of course.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,135 times
This is so funny - I was just about to post something like this. I am a female conservative christian moving to SF in two months. People keep telling me i'm moving into the most liberal town in the US. I guess I look at it as more of an adventure and I would hope people wouldn't judge me just b/c I share different views. Most of my friends are liberal so i'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue

Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknywi View Post
This is so funny - I was just about to post something like this. I am a female conservative christian moving to SF in two months. People keep telling me i'm moving into the most liberal town in the US. I guess I look at it as more of an adventure and I would hope people wouldn't judge me just b/c I share different views. Most of my friends are liberal so i'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue
San Francisco is to the left of Mao though so do be careful.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland