Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Living with someone who isn't your spouse or significant other would stink.
No, it's awesome. You have people to hang out with, go places with, eat with, etc. I don't know why you live in a major city if you don't want to live with people. I'm a shy person, too. But I'm still a city mouse. I like the city lifestyle, including roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Low outgoings, rent control, box size apt.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The benefits of rent control are constrained by the desire to move into different stages of life.if you have a spouse and/or a child you will have to relocate out of SF or live an uncomfortable lifestyle as a family in a studio apt. This situation of families with 3 or 4 members having to stay in a rent controlled 1 bedroom because they cannot afford market rate is not uncommon.
In addition beyond a certain age a studio is not a desirable accommodation .
Good point, I gave up an apt in Hayes Valley after about 14 years - spend sometime abroad, didn't want to be a prisoner to rent control. I've been back in SF for a few years now, again rent control, smaller apt, but am glad of it. Living in a small studio isn't for everyone.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
People who make the median income in this area can afford 3k in rent/mortgage. If you can't, you probably chose the wrong major in college. What software engineer working at Twitter (for example) cannot afford $3k a month in rent? Glassdoor says a software engineer there typically makes $150k in total compensation.

Twitter Software Engineer Salary | Glassdoor

Such a person could definitely pay $3k in rent/mortgage. Especially if their spouse has a comparable salary.

Now I'm not a software engineer. I just got a new job as a security guard for $11.25/hr. In theory I shouldn't pay more than about $500 a month in rent, so obviously I'm looking to share a place with roommates (actually I'm looking for a better job already because mine is almost as bad as my last, and obviously doesn't pay enough to settle, but I digress).

People who make a lot more than me complain too much on this web site. Seriously, if you make six figures, you can afford to live here. Stop whining. If you don't, let's swap salaries. Then you'll see what a truly limited budget is.
Median earnings for males in sf is $68,815 for females in sf $55,784 per the U.S. Census bureau . $3000 in rent is too much for these salaries

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Median earnings for males in sf is $68,815 for females in sf $55,784 per the U.S. Census bureau . $3000 in rent is too much for these salaries
In San Jose the median income is 100k. Maybe lower in SF. Let's see household income median 75,000 in county of San Francisco, interesting. San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So the people at the median probably are not buying houses in SF (at least not on their income alone, maybe with their spouse). You can easily afford an apartment at that salary though. A room at least. That's roughly 6250 a month, so 1/3 of that is 2083. There are lots of places -- rooms and otherwise -- for that price in SF.

According to the link above, only 13% of people in SF are in "poverty", so obviously people can afford it.

Don't forget, even if your income is 55k, that's almost five times what I make.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
No, it's awesome. You have people to hang out with, go places with, eat with, etc. I don't know why you live in a major city if you don't want to live with people. I'm a shy person, too. But I'm still a city mouse. I like the city lifestyle, including roommates.
I think sharing a bathroom and a shower with one or more people is gross ( or can be); not to mention having to co-exist with people who have potentially questionable hygienic practices. I've never roomed with anyone long-term, but I have heard personal accounts of it from friends who don't speak very highly of it. Plus, my own imagination tells me that one would probably have to have a high threshold for the nuances and personal habits of ones roommates.

But I know many people have no choice but to share a living space, so they obviously have to make it work.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
If I made 300k I would def move to the Bay Area if you make under 100k its not worth it with the COS standards, SF is the best city to visit in America thou, I love visiting the Bay Area thou I will say its a special place.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 PM

238 posts, read 302,561 times
we moved back here last year and purchased a house. we did it by living below our means for many years in the midwest. my husband also has a very demanding but well paying position.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I think sharing a bathroom and a shower with one or more people is gross ( or can be); not to mention having to co-exist with people who have potentially questionable hygienic practices.
lol the hygenic practices would have to be awfully questionable before this became a concern.

When I say roommates are awesome, I assume you find people you like living with, and will move until you find such a place. Somebody who lives with roommates needs to be capable of being nomadic.

Quote:
But I know many people have no choice but to share a living space, so they obviously have to make it work.
Yeah, service on USN submarines taught me a lot about living with other people. But of course that was a situation where I wasn't necessarily friends with most of the guys. Assuming you find a group of people you like to live with then roommates are awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Then again you're probably right that if you're someone who really wants to be isolated in a house somewhere and not interact much with others outside of the house then city life probably isn't for such a person.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
lol the hygenic practices would have to be awfully questionable before this became a concern.

When I say roommates are awesome, I assume you find people you like living with, and will move until you find such a place. Somebody who lives with roommates needs to be capable of being nomadic.

Yeah, service on USN submarines taught me a lot about living with other people. But of course that was a situation where I wasn't necessarily friends with most of the guys. Assuming you find a group of people you like to live with then roommates are awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Then again you're probably right that if you're someone who really wants to be isolated in a house somewhere and not interact much with others outside of the house then city life probably isn't for such a person.
I have nothing against city life, and nothing against San Francisco. But if I were to live there, and if I had to share a living space with someone, I would want my own bathroom and shower. None of that communal stuff!

But with SF rents being what they are, I understand why so many SF residents have roommates. I mean, $1700 for a tiny studio in the Tenderloin? LOL! That's comedy. And even more comical that you have to pay extra rent if you have a cat or dog ($50, and $75). The ad paints a lovely picture about how close this Tenderloin studio is to vibrant shops and restaurants, eclectic local stores and boutiques, and how centrally located it is; yet the ad fails to mention ( or warn) about what else this studio is close to ( or immersed in)! LOL.
$1700? And I'm sure it won't be $1700 for long, not if the techies keep encroaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland