Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:20 PM

157 posts, read 192,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Median earnings for males in sf is $68,815 for females in sf $55,784 per the U.S. Census bureau . $3000 in rent is too much for these salaries
San Francisco has the highest number of female sex workers per capita in the U.S., I bet those statistics don't include their annual salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I have nothing against city life, and nothing against San Francisco. But if I were to live there, and if I had to share a living space with someone, I would want my own bathroom and shower. None of that communal stuff!
Why, dude? That just makes it more expensive for no reason. Sure, take it if available, but you really only need the bedroom to yourself.

Just be glad you don't have to take "submarine showers" (military showers). That's turn the water on for 1 second, turn it off, lather the soap on, turn the water on for 1 second to rinse, done. You're motivated to have the water on for a small amount of time because the water is only heated to like 70 degrees on the boat (and there's no temperature adjustment). Assuming the Captain has not ordered the showers disabled because we are using too much water (iirc on my first boat we needed to keep it under 5000 gallons per 24 hour period for 120 people).

Don't worry, for safety reasons s/he will only do that for short periods of time. You'd be much more worried about lack of sleep. I personally have stayed awake for 4 days doing "operations"...24 or 48 hours was typical. If your performance was bad sometimes your superior would say "it's going to start affecting your sleep", you don't want to hear that, lol.

These are "first world problems" dude.

Quote:
But with SF rents being what they are, I understand why so many SF residents have roommates. I mean, $1700 for a tiny studio in the Tenderloin? LOL! That's comedy.
That's the free market (in SF, distorted by rent control, but I digress). People live with roommates all over the world in all major cities. If you make 5100 a month, you can afford $1700 for rent. That's only $61,200 a year. Lots of electricians make that. They don't need a bachelor's, just high school. If you have a "professional" job (requiring a degree, especially STEM jobs), you probably make more. If you can't afford, you share.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:28 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

Yes indeed. No end to the blurred "needs vs. wants" stuff in here.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 PM

238 posts, read 302,614 times
Quote:

well, this is a first world country... i am not sure why somebody's preference to have a private bathroom (aside from sharing with a partner) bothers you so much.

i don't want to share a bathroom with anybody either. but then again, i live in one of those monolithic single family homes you like so much.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
well, this is a first world country... i am not sure why somebody's preference to have a private bathroom (aside from sharing with a partner) bothers you so much.

i don't want to share a bathroom with anybody either. but then again, i live in one of those monolithic single family homes you like so much.
Sometimes, people need to share, especially in a high-demand place. Kids know this. Why don't the adults?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
It is just that, a preference. If you can afford a place that offers that, great. But you're not living in poverty if you can't afford it.

Quote:
Again, if you can afford it, great. But not being able to afford it doesn't mean you live in poverty.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 PM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
Quote:
Quote:
I think sharing a bathroom and a shower with one or more people is gross ( or can be); not to mention having to co-exist with people who have potentially questionable hygienic practices.
lol the hygenic practices would have to be awfully questionable before this became a concern.

When I say roommates are awesome, I assume you find people you like living with, and will move until you find such a place. Somebody who lives with roommates needs to be capable of being nomadic.

Quote:
But I know many people have no choice but to share a living space, so they obviously have to make it work.
Yeah, service on USN submarines taught me a lot about living with other people. But of course that was a situation where I wasn't necessarily friends with most of the guys. Assuming you find a group of people you like to live with then roommates are awesome, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Then again you're probably right that if you're someone who really wants to be isolated in a house somewhere and not interact much with others outside of the house then city life probably isn't for such a person.
I have to agree with Anthony because some people don't clean the bathtub or shower floor after themselves, and that's gross & inconsideration toward others who share the same bathroom. Some people have athlete's foot, nail fungi, candida, etc. which can be passed to other people and which is why it's important to have a bathtub & shower floor cleaned between each person (however, if I had to share a bathroom, I'd still clean the bathtub or shower with Comet or Ajax before using it to be sure it's clean & disinfected).

Some housemates are also lazy and leave dirty dishes in sinks. At some of my friends places, they had gross sinks full of dirty dishes because they were lazy, and two of those places had roaches! I may not be a regular bather like most people, but I don't understand how some people don't care about cleanliness so as to not attract bugs and to not have mold growing in the sink.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I have to agree with Anthony because some people don't clean the bathtub or shower floor after themselves, and that's gross & inconsideration toward others who share the same bathroom.
Yes, people should clean the shower after use. Permission granted to find a place with roommates you think have acceptable hygeine. Common sense there.

Quote:
Some people have athlete's foot, nail fungi, candida, etc. which can be passed to other people and which is why it's important to have a bathtub & shower floor cleaned between each person
In theory, yes, those things can be passed to other people. In practice, as long as you dry it off you're reasonably safe.

We didn't disinfect the showers after each use on nuclear submarines and we got by ok. We just used a "squegee" (like what you use to dry off your windows when you're washing your car) to dry out the shower after using it.

Quote:
(however, if I had to share a bathroom, I'd still clean the bathtub or shower with Comet or Ajax before using it to be sure it's clean & disinfected).
lmao please, dude.

Again...if you can afford a place with your bathroom and no roommates, more power to you. However, sharing a bathroom is NOT living in poverty. That's lame.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
Quote:
lmao please, dude.

Again...if you can afford a place with your bathroom and no roommates, more power to you. However, sharing a bathroom is NOT living in poverty. That's lame.
I didn't even say it was! My point was that I wouldn't expect someone else to make as much of an effort to clean & disinfect a bathtub or shower floor after they use it. Before use, maybe.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I didn't even say it was! My point was that I wouldn't expect someone else to make as much of an effort to clean & disinfect a bathtub or shower floor after they use it. Before use, maybe.
Yeah and it doesn't mean you're going to contract a deadly disease and die.

In practice, as long as it is dry, you are reasonably safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland