Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM

881 posts, read 1,818,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2015ATW View Post
Okay - help me out! From what I can see (from my desk in another city 150 miles away) via google, is that the best option would be the Powell/Hyde...light rail? Bus? And that would go directly to Bart....I am planning a visit soon to experiment with some route options. Would the 41 or 45 be a better way to go? The Oakland side is easy, the 19th street Bart is around the block from my office.
The 41/45 is probably the fastest, an alternative (to avoid the Civic Center area) is take 10 or 12 from Pacific..it's a weird route that goes around through Chinatown and then to the financial district to Montgomery BART.

It's mostly people commuting down to financial district from top of the hills on the cable cars in the morning (tourist tend to go the other direction). It's probably as fast as the bus in most cases, as loading/unloading tend to be faster on the cable car going downhill in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:49 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,328,503 times
Quote:
Okay - help me out! From what I can see (from my desk in another city 150 miles away) via google, is that the best option would be the Powell/Hyde...light rail? Bus? And that would go directly to Bart....I am planning a visit soon to experiment with some route options. Would the 41 or 45 be a better way to go?
In the mornings I would stand at the corner of Union and Hyde and just take the one that comes first. In the evenings try taking the 41 from Embacadero Bart and the 45 from Montgomery Bart and see which one you prefer. You can also take the Cable Car in the morning to Powell Station.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 7,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
In the mornings I would stand at the corner of Union and Hyde and just take the one that comes first. In the evenings try taking the 41 from Embacadero Bart and the 45 from Montgomery Bart and see which one you prefer. You can also take the Cable Car in the morning to Powell Station.

I actually like the sound of that. Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the suggestions and tips!!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,980,015 times
Where by "lake Merritt" are you going? 19th Bart may be closer. But much of grand around the lake isn't well connected by frequent transit.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where by "lake Merritt" are you going? 19th Bart may be closer. But much of grand around the lake isn't well connected by frequent transit.
In oakland I'll actually be at Harrison and 19th. From what I've see (or been told) that is my closest Bart station for work.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 PM

379 posts, read 787,570 times
The commute you describe is doable. Not awesome, but definitely possible. After getting the SF experience for a year or two you might want to move to Lake Merritt. It's a great area and you could walk to work.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,980,015 times
Quote:
In oakland I'll actually be at Harrison and 19th. From what I've see (or been told) that is my closest Bart station for work.
Yup. And right by the Bart exit on 19/broadway is Donut Savant. They have yummy donut holes and slightly bigger treats.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 AM

323 posts, read 698,244 times
I know that you said you wanted to live in the SF. But I do urge that when you come to the Bay Area you check out the area where you will be working around Lake Merritt. It is really quite pleasant, with many of the aspects of SF you may be looking for but without the commuter hassle. If you wanted to visit "the city" you can always head there from Oakland. Just a suggestion to keep an open mind.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:08 PM

365 posts, read 781,991 times
Skip MUNI, get a bike -- bike to BART. It will save you money and time.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the responses. I definitely am not closing myself to considering oakland. A friend lives on lake merritt and her place is gorgeous and seems safe. One of the reasons I'm renting a room to begin with (month to month) is so that I can make a change quickly when I need. Never having lived in the city, I just want to have that experience for a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland