Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Well, up until recently I let my husband handle all the gunfights; however, since he passed away on
Christmas day, and I am now very alone in a dicey neighborhood, self defence is now up to me. I refuse to willingly be a victim. You do what makes you feel safe and I'll do the same. John Wayne is a distant relative. His real name is Marion Morrison.

Genuinely, so sorry to hear about your husband.

However, as previously stated earlier in the thread, your gun is not going to make you safer, it's going to put your safety more at risk. First of all the chances of you being assaulted in your home by a stranger are ridiculously low - so low as to be close to zero. However if you are assaulted you are are 4.5 times more likely to be shot if you carry a gun.
And being a woman, statistically, gun ownership puts you even more at risk. In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers.
Having a gun in your home puts you and the people around you at far greater risk of accidental death (especially children) than people without guns in their homes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why that would be.
In fact since suicide is the leading cause of gun death, the person you are most likely to kill with your gun is yourself.

Unfortunately people in America are living in such fear of being attacked by imaginary strangers that they feel they have to live this way. It doesn't matter how many facts and statistics you put in front of gunowners, they simply won't accept that guns are a health risk.
My husband works away a lot so I'm well used to spending time as a female having to 'defend myself' in my home, and I have 3 young kids at home. You are far better off with a decent security system and a dog. There's no way on earth I'd put my kids at risk by owning a deadly weapon.

Last edited by Cruithne; 02-11-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
What, giving up on the gun fetish lobby so soon?
LOL yes. Frightening as it sounds, I am going to brave fate today and dare leave my house completely unarmed. I'll play Aerosmith's "Living On The Edge" on my iPhone to symbolize the moment. If I'm as lucky as I have been the other 19,254 days of my life so far, I will make it home alive. Wish me luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
LOL yes. Frightening as it sounds, I am going to brave fate today and dare leave my house completely unarmed. I'll play Aerosmith's "Living On The Edge" on my iPhone to symbolize the moment. If I'm as lucky as I have been the other 19,254 days of my life so far, I will make it home alive. Wish me luck!
Good luck LoriBee!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Good luck LoriBee!

Yes. Good luck! Be sure to call when you get safely back in so we don't worry ourselves sick

Old 02-11-2015, 08:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
If you want to move somewhere safe, try Fernley NV, heck everyone is armed to the teeth, it's even known to locals as "Ferntucky".
Suspect charged with 'open murder' in killing of five in Nevada - U.S. News

The point is, bad stuff happens everywhere and you are really very dumb to think that guns are going to help you much when a psychotic thug wants to hurt you.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. Good luck! Be sure to call when you get safely back in so we don't worry ourselves sick
My Hubby and I just went for our morning walk. Saw a couple suspicious characters that appeared to be hunched over near an SUV, obviously lurking in wait of an unsuspecting woman to pounce on. On closer observation, they were just children with back packs waiting for their mom to take them to kindergarden. Lucky I didn't have the old firearm on me, because for a minute there, my trigger finger was a-twitchin.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
My Hubby and I just went for our morning walk. Saw a couple suspicious characters that appeared to be hunched over near an SUV, obviously lurking in wait of an unsuspecting woman to pounce on. On closer observation, they were just children with back packs waiting for their mom to take them to kindergarden. Lucky I didn't have the old firearm on me, because for a minute there, my trigger finger was a-twitchin.
Well, you can't trust kids nowadays either. It isn't the good old days when the world was free and rosey and bad things just didn't hardly happen ever anywhere at all!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne;
Good luck LoriBee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
She must be suicidal. Isn't there a hotline we can call?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Genuinely, so sorry to hear about your husband.

However, as previously stated earlier in the thread, your gun is not going to make you safer, it's going to put your safety more at risk. First of all the chances of you being assaulted in your home by a stranger are ridiculously low - so low as to be close to zero. However if you are assaulted you are are 4.5 times more likely to be shot if you carry a gun.
And being a woman, statistically, gun ownership puts you even more at risk. In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers.
Having a gun in your home puts you and the people around you at far greater risk of accidental death (especially children) than people without guns in their homes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why that would be.
In fact since suicide is the leading cause of gun death, the person you are most likely to kill with your gun is yourself.

Unfortunately people in America are living in such fear of being attacked by imaginary strangers that they feel they have to live this way. It doesn't matter how many facts and statistics you put in front of gunowners, they simply won't accept that guns are a health risk.
My husband works away a lot so I'm well used to spending time as a female having to 'defend myself' in my home, and I have 3 young kids at home. You are far better off with a decent security system and a dog. There's no way on earth I'd put my kids at risk by owning a deadly weapon.
Facts? Who needs facts when one can cloak oneself in paralyzing fear, and seek out endless media that gleefully stokes it? So many 'friends' to agree with! "We care for your safety. That's why you should be aware that you should always be AFRAID!!!" Got ammo?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Guns are your friends, remember that Americans, the more guns the better on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland