Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeinca View Post
Same ($****ty) neighborhood.

(New) Immigrants are the target. They live in the government assisted housing and work for cash (don't pay tax). Save cache and jewelry at home. They can not put money in the bank because they are receiving government assistance.

Why these type of robberies are not happening in the Pacific Height?
This makes perfect sense. If anyone had tried to rob me, they wouldn't get anything. I don't have any special phones, only a landline, don't keep cash at home, what little jewelry I have is unfindable, no gun, no TV, no stereo, nothing worth stealing, unless they want an old hand-me-down computer.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If the police aren't protecting you, then that leaves you. Do you think criminals will care whether or not their gun is legally owned? It's like Conservatives thinking making weed illegal, nobody will be able to get it. Problem now is people who use guns illegally or own them illegally seem to just get a slap on the wrist and as soon as they get out, their back at it. If they rob someone with a gun, but don't use it, it's also not treated as attempted murder in most cases, when it should be. So, this article tells me people need protection in their homes.
But how does this article tell you that? That's what people are questioning. Because to most of us, the article is saying the opposite: having a gun at home not only won't help you, it will contribute to the criminal class, because it will end up in their hands.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But how does this article tell you that? That's what people are questioning. Because to most of us, the article is saying the opposite: having a gun at home not only won't help you, it will contribute to the criminal class, because it will end up in their hands.
Did you stop reading at the end of this quote because I thought I explained it if you finished reading it?

A person with a gun is > than a burglar(s) with a knife. This article shows how fearless criminals are now and how there is virtually no way of finding them. I remember when our car was broken into, the police say, well there is basically no way we can find out who did this, sorry. We can dust, but really it would be a waste of time. When people start having no morals, you could literally go on a crime spree with very little chance of getting caught.

Banning guns doesn't keep guns out of criminals hands, the Bay Area has some of the strictest gun laws, yet gun violence is very high. It only hurts law abiding citizens. Now I think there needs to be universal background checks, mandatory gun classes etc in order to buy one, but I definitely believe in gun ownership, especially in San Francisco and Oakland where crime is high.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Banning guns doesn't keep guns out of criminals hands, the Bay Area has some of the strictest gun laws, yet gun violence is very high. It only hurts law abiding citizens. Now I think there needs to be universal background checks, mandatory gun classes etc in order to buy one, but I definitely believe in gun ownership, especially in San Francisco and Oakland where crime is high.
But your logic doesn't work. Some of the victims in the article had guns, but what good did that do them? This is what people here are getting at. I don't see where you've addressed that, yet.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Did you stop reading at the end of this quote because I thought I explained it if you finished reading it?

A person with a gun is > than a burglar(s) with a knife. This article shows how fearless criminals are now and how there is virtually no way of finding them. I remember when our car was broken into, the police say, well there is basically no way we can find out who did this, sorry. We can dust, but really it would be a waste of time. When people start having no morals, you could literally go on a crime spree with very little chance of getting caught.

And you open the door with a loaded gun aimed at the person who knocked, ready to fire with the safety off? One woman was woken up out of a dead sleep. Do you keep it under your pillow too? What about the couple who had their own firearm stolen from them? Their gun didn't help them much.

You seemed to have glossed over a huge amount of this article to make a very thinly-supported argument in favor of guns.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:35 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ding ding ding ding ding! THIS is why some of the perps are ringing the doorbell! So the burglar alarm won't get tripped! Maybe. Easy access, too. But notice that one of them got the owners to open the door while he snuck in a window. Distract them, but also--get them to turn off the alarm (if there was one).

I never answer the doorbell for randoms. Usually, it's just Jehovah's Witnesses or solicitors. Who needs that? Worse case scenario, it's someone with criminal intent.
This is the reason my dog answers the door for me.

Wait. I don't have a door.
Ok. The hatch. Anyways, you get the idea.

And if any burglar can get in through any of my porthole windows, I wanna watch. And video it. And post on YouTube.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
People don't get the case for gun ownership. It is not like you are going to be a Rambo and shoot all the criminals. You might not even get to it. However, if you do have it, your chances of being able to do something are greater than if you didn't.

If you don't have a gun, there is 100% chance that you will be at the mercy of the criminals and you will be resorting to "please, don't hurt me". If you have a gun, you might very well end up doing that, but the chances are less. Even if it is 98%, when it comes to the safety of my family, I will take my 2% better chances or whatever.

The gun will obviously not serve you in every situation, as evidenced above. But it will serve you in a situation where you hear them and you have time to react. Many examples of that, as well. Imagine if you do hear them, and your only option is cowering in a corner, holding your partner and hoping that they will not be pure evil. I would rather take my chances with my 870.

People who are against guns are so black & white and think everyone is some nutjob. Yeah, let's declare a war on guns, because the war on drugs is REALLY going well. And prohibition of alcohol also worked out REALLY well. And alcohol doesn't touch the lips of <21 year olds. I mean, so many good precedents to choose from. A ban of guns can only work out REALLY well, too, right?

Last edited by HappyinCali; 02-03-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
It seems the solution is easy if you own a gun -- put it behind your back when answering door. Myself I prefer other solutions before resorting to using a gun -- if only to avoid the legal aftermath of using a weapon even in a justifiable homicide.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
People don't get the case for gun ownership. It is not like you are going to be a Rambo and shoot all the criminals. You might not even get to it. However, if you do have it, your chances of being able to do something are greater than if you didn't.

If you don't have a gun, there is 100% chance that you will be at the mercy of the criminals and you will be resorting to "please, don't hurt me". If you have a gun, you might very well end up doing that, but the chances are less. Even if it is 98%, when it comes to the safety of my family, I will take my 2% better chances or whatever.
I dont see anything disagreeable with this.

If it were possible to deter criminals by blowing bubbles at them, that would be great, but alas that doesnt seem to work.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont see anything disagreeable with this.

If it were possible to deter criminals by blowing bubbles at them, that would be great, but alas that doesnt seem to work.
Exactly! I added this too.

People who are against guns are so black & white and think everyone is some nutjob. Yeah, let's declare a war on guns, because the war on drugs is REALLY going well. And prohibition of alcohol also worked out REALLY well. And alcohol doesn't touch the lips of <21 year olds. I mean, so many good precedents to choose from. A ban of guns can only work out REALLY well, too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland