Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 PM

42,814 posts, read 26,173,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
We need immigration policy equivalent to the one Mexico has in the south with Guatemala, including militarization, just like they have. What's so hard about that? Why can't we do it? Because the prez doesn't inform the world of that disparity and stick it in Mexico's face. It doesn't fit the leftist world view and Geraldo wouldn't like it.

Every murder by an illegal is one that didn't have to happen, but for policy. And excuse the anti-PC stance but when I see a pretty white woman blown away like this, I can't help but wonder if her race and appearance is why she was singled out. And if there is a a racial nexus there then we have one more indication that the nation is in real trouble.

I happen to live in another sanctuary city, Houston. Here you have to speak Spanish to get a job in a car parts store, a hardware store, a nursery, a salvage yard, government clerical, and many retail positions and many teaching positions. And at the many residential construction sites around town. Explain to me why that is fair. And these jobs mostly do not pay a premium for Spanish fluency or bilingual ability. The job market is fairly twisted now especially at the unskilled and semiskilled levels.
The border between Mexico and Guatemala is 541 miles long. The border between the US and Mexico is 1989 miles long. It was the US who pressured Mexico into guarding the Guatemalan border to cut down on the number of Central American children making their way into the US. And I really doubt that you have to speak Spanish to get a job in Houston, I have friends who live there and work in City Gov't and they don't speak Spanish.

If you are so worried about illegal immigration, tell your congressional reps to pass legislation requiring the use of e-verify with a prison term for employers who fail to use it. You will get better results by doing that then by whining.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 AM

19,184 posts, read 16,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
What I am getting at is while there's no denying these selected crimes occurred, there is no special dispensation given to illegals. The same crimes are committed by citizens with the same legal results or non results.

If a citizen driving without a license hits your car s/he is not treated differently than if the accident was caused by an illegal without a license. And now that illegals can obtain licenses those licenses would be taken away same as happens to legals.

The point isn't to apologize or justify or approve. The point is claiming that somehow illegals are being treated with specific deference or preference because of their status is simply not true. The crimes and their resolution or nonresolution are the same regardless of legal resident status. SF is not any particular "haven" for illegal criminals.
I don't know whether SF is a haven or not. All I know is what is reported in the news. If you want to jump on someone, go after the stations and newspapers that report it. SF isn't the same city is was once upon a time but neither is the state, for that matter. Too many people with a lack of respect for others. Like now. It's almost 12:30 in the morning and there are still jerks outside setting off fireworks. It's not bothering me at the moment because I'm typing this but it will continue on for the next few weeks because these idiots love the 4th of July so much, they feel the need to repeat it over and over again. Lack of respect, like I said. But I digress.

Frankly, I don't have an ounce of sympathy for anyone who is here illegally and find them self in trouble. They deserve what they get. If they are treated more harshly, so be it. Stay in their own country and raise hell. We have enough of our own garbage in this state and country to deal with.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,242,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
SF isn't the same city is was once upon a time but neither is the state, for that matter. Too many people with a lack of respect for others. Like now. It's almost 12:30 in the morning and there are still jerks outside setting off fireworks.
I agree SF is not the city that it once was. It's better days are long gone.

I also have to agree that this state is full of narcissistic people who have absolutely no respect for any one except their own manner-less agenda. I noticed this immediately when I moved here several years ago.

Quote:
ICE briefly had him in their custody in March after he had served his latest sentence for "felony re-entry," but turned him over to San Francisco Sheriff's Department on an outstanding drug warrant. At this time, ICE issued the detainer -- effectively asking that he be turned back over to ICE when San Francisco was finished with him.

But ICE was not notified. The incident is sure to renew criticism of San Francisco's sanctuary city policies.

Nice work SF Sheriffs' Dept

Old 07-05-2015, 09:06 AM

940 posts, read 1,899,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The border between Mexico and Guatemala is 541 miles long. The border between the US and Mexico is 1989 miles long.
Huge segments of the border are essentially impassable e.g. the western Big Bend and would not require militarization

Quote:
It was the US who pressured Mexico into guarding the Guatemalan border to cut down on the number of Central American children making their way into the US.
I suppose that would be the same government advertising in Mexico City food stamp availability:

Omnibus Spending Bill Continues Funding Food Stamp Ads in Mexico - Breitbart

Quote:
And I really doubt that you have to speak Spanish to get a job in Houston,
Did anyone claim that?

Quote:
I have friends who live there and work in City Gov't and they don't speak Spanish.
Yes I have never heard our mayor speak Spanish and she got a good job, the one promoting "sanctuary city" policy.

Quote:
If you are so worried about illegal immigration,
I am worried about our populace not knowing that the traditional immigration to this country was from Western countries, and not from ones hostile to the United States and Western culture. My girlfriend is Latina, 3rd generation Mexican and I know how the Spanish conquistadors are resented down there (and Europeans in general), even though most have Spanish blood. I am worried that the New York Times did not report the details of the horrible murder of the 32 year old woman, preferring to avoid the topic. THAT IN ITSELF should prove something is terribly wrong with the elite who run this country. I am worried that our populace is so uneducated of history that they don't know about the 1965 Hart-Cellar Act, and how Ted Kennedy, the prime force behind it, told people in private that the only way to get "white people" to learn their lesson is to make them a minority.

Never in the history of the world has a nation planned a complete reversal of its ethnic makeup, until now: 1965 Immigration Law Changed Face of America : NPR

And the result is obvious looking at our schools, hospitals and jails. This country will be burdened in perpetuity with attempts to educate the new arrivals from the south to a significant level. And will be perpetually coming up with schemes to make it happen. And it will never happen, considering the people burdened are going to be a smaller and smaller segment.

Quote:
tell your congressional reps to pass legislation requiring the use of e-verify with a prison term for employers who fail to use it. You will get better results by doing that then by whining.
That's all fine and good I agree with the prison term part, less so with the congressional rep part. My congresswoman is Sheila Jackson Lee who I met at a funeral for a musician that I shared the stage with, Little Joe Washington. I'm fine being amiable with her, however I strongly sense that she is all giddy inside about the coming minority status of whites in the country, and will not go along. She, like a lot of people, probably thinks that some switch will be flipped instantly at that time, causing the legendary institutional racism to disappear, and along with it the mythical white privilege.

And thanks for your time but the "whining" insinuation is inappropriate, so no thanks there. Have you commented about gays "whining" over the years about inability to marry? Or military veterans "whining" for better benefits and medical treatment?

Last edited by groovamos; 07-05-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 AM

20,833 posts, read 17,070,509 times
The goal was not to surrender people here to ICE for no cause. In this most dramatic case it has tragically failed. A catastrophic blunder on the sheriffs department. When all is said and done it will be the multimillion dollar lawsuit which corrects this policy. It will be unfair and capricious, but the innocent (next) girl will be alive.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:57 AM

335 posts, read 328,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I don't know whether SF is a haven or not. All I know is what is reported in the news. If you want to jump on someone, go after the stations and newspapers that report it. SF isn't the same city is was once upon a time but neither is the state, for that matter. Too many people with a lack of respect for others. Like now. It's almost 12:30 in the morning and there are still jerks outside setting off fireworks. It's not bothering me at the moment because I'm typing this but it will continue on for the next few weeks because these idiots love the 4th of July so much, they feel the need to repeat it over and over again. Lack of respect, like I said. But I digress.

Frankly, I don't have an ounce of sympathy for anyone who is here illegally and find them self in trouble. They deserve what they get. If they are treated more harshly, so be it. Stay in their own country and raise hell. We have enough of our own garbage in this state and country to deal with.
I read this response at 4 AM and had to laugh. Why? Because I had been awakened by loud fireworks. I hadn't gotten to sleep until about 2 AM I think for the same reason.

I don't disagree with you one bit. A pet peeve of mine is the common practice of pointing fingers of shame at illegals when legals are just as bad. The difference is only why add more? I read a couple posts in another thread in another forum recently where the writer was anti any kind of immigration, legal or not. Works for me.

My jumping in to this discussion was based simply on the unsupportable hyperbole of one contributor who declared that San Francisco is some kind of "special haven for illegal criminals." It's not. Sanctuary city status doesn't mean criminal activity is treated any differently between legals and illegals. SF is not some kind of hideaway for the "Hole in the Border Gang".

Old 07-05-2015, 04:41 PM

21,718 posts, read 16,270,541 times
Quote:
We need immigration policy equivalent to the one Mexico has in the south with Guatemala, including militarization, just like they have. What's so hard about that? Why can't we do it? Because the prez doesn't inform the world of that disparity and stick it in Mexico's face. It doesn't fit the leftist world view and Geraldo wouldn't like it.

Every murder by an illegal is one that didn't have to happen, but for policy. And excuse the anti-PC stance but when I see a pretty white woman blown away like this, I can't help but wonder if her race and appearance is why she was singled out. And if there is a a racial nexus there then we have one more indication that the nation is in real trouble.

I happen to live in another sanctuary city, Houston. Here you have to speak Spanish to get a job in a car parts store, a hardware store, a nursery, a salvage yard, government clerical, and many retail positions and many teaching positions. And at the many residential construction sites around town. Explain to me why that is fair. And these jobs mostly do not pay a premium for Spanish fluency or bilingual ability. The job market is fairly twisted now especially at the unskilled and semiskilled levels.
Donald? Is that you?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM

21,718 posts, read 16,270,541 times
Quote:
And excuse the anti-PC stance but when I see a pretty white woman blown away like this, I can't help but wonder if her race and appearance is why she was singled out. And if there is a a racial nexus there then we have one more indication that the nation is in real trouble.
Good thing you didn't wait for any investigation before launching your assault. Would have spoiled the rant.
Quote:
Woman Shot, Killed at SF Pier Reportedly Wasn't Intended Target
The man suspected of shooting and killing a woman at a popular San Francisco pier allegedly told police he wasn't targeting her but instead was shooting at sea lions, sources close to the investigation told ABC News station KGO.
San Francisco Woman Shot, Killed at Pier Reportedly Wasn't Intended Target - ABC News

Old 07-05-2015, 05:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,242,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good thing you didn't wait for any investigation before launching your assault. Would have spoiled the rant.
Well of course he is going to make up any excuse to take the spotlight off of the real target.

I wonder if the sea lion was walloping down the Pier in front of the victim?

I wonder why he threw the gun in the Bay and ran vs. rendering aid to the victim or family?

Quote:
He has a long rap sheet, which includes seven felonies, most on drug charges. Sources say he's been arrested not only in Texas, but Oregon and Washington.
Sure I believe his words.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 PM

42,814 posts, read 26,173,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos;
Huge segments of the border are essentially impassable e.g. the western Big Bend and would not require militarization
Building more fences won't help. What we need to do is either quit allowing employers to hire undocumented people or come up with a rational immigration policy.

Secure enough | The Economist

Quote:
I suppose that would be the same government advertising in Mexico City food stamp availability:
Bush started that program in 2004: Transcript of Remarks by Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman and Ernesto Luis Derbez Bautista, Secretary of Foreign Affairs for Mexico at the signing of the Nutrition Assistance Memorandum of Understanding - Washington, DC | USDA Newsroom

There was NO advertising in Mexico, information on SNAP was distributed to Mexican consulates in the US. There as no change in policy, illegal immigrants are ineligible for SNAP.
Is Obama giving food stamps to Mexicans? - Salon.com

Quote:
Did anyone claim that?
Did anyone claim that you had to speak Spanish to get a job in Houston? yep, you did:

Quote:
I happen to live in another sanctuary city, Houston. Here you have to speak Spanish to get a job in a car parts store, a hardware store, a nursery, a salvage yard, government clerical, and many retail positions and many teaching positions.
Quote:
I am worried that the New York Times did not report the details of the horrible murder of the 32 year old woman, preferring to avoid the topic. THAT IN ITSELF should prove something is terribly wrong with the elite who run this country
Here are the details, I don't think the 'elite' withheld any details. San Francisco Woman Shot, Killed at Pier Reportedly Wasn't Intended Target - ABC News
That is a tragic incident, there were clearly errors made in releasing that guy after he had been arrested on another case prior to this. I don't think the errors were a result of the sanctuary policy because I already posted information that it does not apply to those suspected of, or charged with criminal behavior.

Quote:
INever in the history of the world has a nation planned a complete reversal of its ethnic makeup, until now: 1965 Immigration Law Changed Face of America : NPR
Planned? Do you even know what the changes in the 1965 Hart-Cellar Act did? It changed immigration law from prioritizing immigration applications from residents of western european countries to a system that prioritized immigration based on two factors: skills and family reunification. Yes that caused a less white US than you might have liked but it was the right thing to do, and I have never felt that a lily white population makes a nation better or stronger than one that is more diverse.

After reading this post of yours, and others it appears that you have a problem with ethnic people or people of color being here, and I hate to tell you this but it's really too late for you to fuss over it because it looks like in about 28 years whites will be a minority in the US: Census: White majority in U.S. gone by 2043 - U.S. News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland