Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM

540 posts, read 653,119 times

Advertisements

LOL At you acting like everybody will be walking around with permits. You give people the right to carry then it will cause everybody to carry. Just like drivers licenses. You think everybody driving has a license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
LOL At you acting like everybody will be walking around with permits. You give people the right to carry then it will cause everybody to carry. Just like drivers licenses. You think everybody driving has a license?
Because not giving out licenses to law abiding citizens is stopping criminals from carrying now?

You won't know if someone is walking around with a gun, that is what concealed means.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
A law abiding citizen would get a permit, a criminal wouldn't care whether or not you are permitted to carry with or without a permit. You really think a criminal who is ready to kill someone in a robbery will say, "well murder is illegal, but it's okay.... WHAT carrying a gun is illegal, oh geeeeeeeeez, what am I going to do now"

Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was hoping one of those customers was going to pull out a concealed weapon and make the world a slightly better place... although, Bay Area-ians would probably then riot and rob 20 stores and then hold a memorial service for the gunmen.
Wouldn't need to do that. Their back was turned to the couple. The guy could have rushed the gunman and took hold of his weapon while striking him repeatedly in the kidney. He's less than 21 feet away so he is within range for martial arts to be effective against a gun. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

Also I don't know if they only have one clerk or not. But if there is more than one, the second one could have ducked and come around behind the counter to do that. It would be hard for the clerk to step past the gun and attack the gunman because of the counter.

But the bottom line is, guns are not needed for self defense in most situations.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Wouldn't need to do that. Their back was turned to the couple. The guy could have rushed the gunman and took hold of his weapon while striking him repeatedly in the kidney. He's less than 21 feet away so he is within range for martial arts to be effective against a gun. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

Also I don't know if they only have one clerk or not. But if there is more than one, the second one could have ducked and come around behind the counter to do that. It would be hard for the clerk to step past the gun and attack the gunman because of the counter.

But the bottom line is, guns are not needed for self defense in most situations.
Thanks for the laugh.

I'll let my grandmother know that she should use martial art sneak attacks if ever confronted by a bad guy.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Thanks for the laugh.
You laugh at Dan Inosanto? He is a world renowned expert in fighting. He is an expert in Filipino martial arts. He is one of the few living people who was authorized by Bruce Lee to teach Jeet Kune Do. He trains the police and military. This video we just watched was a police training video featuring (a very young) Dan Inosanto.

Quote:
I'll let my grandmother know that she should use martial art sneak attacks if ever confronted by a bad guy.
Well, you aren't the grandparent, presumably you're an able bodied person. So why do you feel so weak that you need a firearm on US soil in peacetime? Are you a gang member?

In any case if your grandmother is too frail to defend herself and wants some kind of weapon, there are various options other than a firearm. Tasers, pepper spray, collapsible batons etc.

Of course, the chances of being attacked with a firearm on US soil are quite low unless you're in a bad neighborhood, and even then the chances are still much lower than in, say, Afghanistan or Somalia. I don't know about you but I don't often find myself in such places.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 PM

This guy learned Jeet Kune Do under Dan Inosanto, and went on to become a trainer for Army Special Forces and the Navy SEALs.

Programs | Warrior's Way

Old 02-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You laugh at Dan Inosanto? He is a world renowned expert in fighting. He is an expert in Filipino martial arts. He is one of the few living people who was authorized by Bruce Lee to teach Jeet Kune Do. He trains the police and military. This video we just watched was a police training video featuring (a very young) Dan Inosanto.

Well, you aren't the grandparent, presumably you're an able bodied person. So why do you feel so weak that you need a firearm on US soil in peacetime? Are you a gang member?

In any case if your grandmother is too frail to defend herself and wants some kind of weapon, there are various options other than a firearm. Tasers, pepper spray, collapsible batons etc.

Of course, the chances of being attacked with a firearm on US soil are quite low unless you're in a bad neighborhood, and even then the chances are still much lower than in, say, Afghanistan or Somalia. I don't know about you but I don't often find myself in such places.
So when are people going to do the tens of thousands of hours of training needed in these various martial arts when a handful of hours of training with a gun will make you proficient? Of course this only matters if the bad guys are not trained in similar fighting tactics, then the same gender and size issues come back into play.

Why not just admit the only way for the average person to protect themselves from a bigger and stronger adversary is with a gun? Btw, collapsible batons are illegal in California. Good thing you are not the one making decisions for other people, we would all be commiting misdemeanors.

22210. Except as provided in Section 22215 and Chapter 1
(commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person
in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports
into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who
gives, lends, or possesses any leaded cane, or any instrument or
weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag,
sandclub, sap, or slungshot, is punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.

This might come as a surprise to you, but bad guys have these things called cars, which allow them to travel to other areas. You see, they can get into these cars and drive to nicer areas and commit crimes there, then they get back into their car and drive home. This is actually more common than you realize, home invasions in affluent areas are on the rise.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So when are people going to do the tens of thousands of hours of training needed in these various martial arts when a handful of hours of training with a gun will make you proficient?
Yes but martial arts is more useful. With a gun, your two choices are do nothing or kill the person. In the situation that is the topic of this video, it could have been resolved without killing anyone if someone had used martial arts to subdue the gunman.

Bruce Lee said that weapons are limiting. If somebody has a knife, you're thinking about running, blocking, striking him, etc., whereas all he can he can do is stab you with the knife.

Quote:
Of course this only matters if the bad guys are not trained in similar fighting tactics, then the same gender and size issues come back into play.
No they don't. The factors are skill and speed and focus. You don't have to be muscular to fight.

Quote:
Why not just admit the only way for the average person to protect themselves from a bigger and stronger adversary is with a gun?
Because that's not true. I have personally fought larger and strong adversaries using martial arts.

Quote:
This might come as a surprise to you, but bad guys have these things called cars, which allow them to travel to other areas. You see, they can get into these cars and drive to nicer areas and commit crimes there, then they get back into their car and drive home. This is actually more common than you realize, home invasions in affluent areas are on the rise.
What's your point? If a bad guy came in my house and I was in a different room, I would simply leave and call 911. Or use martial arts to defend myself if that wasn't an option.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 PM

This US Marine body slams the girl twice and she STILL makes him tapout. Tell me again how you can't defeat a large, stronger opponent without a gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeoer-eZRKs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland