U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 8,727 times

Advertisements

I would liket o get an honest opinion as to the area of Point Richmond as I am thinking of relocating there from Nevada. Specifically I know that Richmond is a high crime area. Any pointers or opinions - advantages/disadvantages - would be welcome.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 AM

1,900 posts, read 2,009,379 times
Point Richmond is a newer development in the city of Richmond, Richmond itself is pretty Ghetto. There is a great marina though. Check this;
Quote:
Richmond Cedes "Most Dangerous City in California" Rating. The original data can be found at
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25.

Last edited by enlightenme; 11-11-2006 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 135,035 times
Default Richmond

If you want to settle in the general area, then I would suggest Pinole, Rodeo, Hercules, or San Pablo. These towns are around Richmond and have lower crime rates. If you are going to live in Richmond, I can't think of a better place to settle than "The Point". There are nice older homes up there and it is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of San Pablo Ave. But, it is right next to the refinery, so keep your ears open for emergency alarms.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM

34 posts, read 417,203 times
When I was looking for a waterfront house with a dock, I looked at Pt Richmond because it is one of only three areas inside the SF Bay that offered such a set up. Here are the good and the bad about Pt Richmond:

The good:

*Secluded from the crime-ridden Richmond.
*Many houses have good bay view.

The bad:

*Too many chemical/refinery plants around; I heard every now and then the siren sounds and you have to run inside the house with all windows sealed tight -- too much excitement for me.
*Very far from the main downtowns and "happening" places of the Bay Area (SF, Oakland).
*Proximity to Richmond still makes me nervous.
*Price is very high.

Is there a reason you are looking at Pt Richmond?? If there is no specific reason, I'd avoid it. I did end up buying somewhere else (Alameda).

Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,690,654 times
Wow ... amazing. Point Richmond is one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) area of Richmond. The deep water port made Richmond the most industrious, ethnically diverse area on the West Coast for many, many years. The Liberty ships where built there. Rosie the Riveter was highly active and productive there.

But the city fathers made some awful decisions that may have made them a lot of money, but stuck a stake through the heart of Richmond in the early 80s. They trumped up a phony reason, and moved a once quaint downtown shopping area up to an area called, "Hilltop."

Today Hilltop Mall has fallen on hard times. Carpets are torn and many of its shops are vacant. Hilltop is no longer a majority white area. But worse, "Downtown" has been torned down. I looks like hell. Drugs flooded the area and the Police Department is now one of the most productive institutions left.

Point Richmond? It is still a small town outside of Richmond. It has some really, really, nice homes in its marina (...the idea of a boat tied up outside your front door is not open to everyone/everywhere...) and the hill side still hosts the older Victorians of the 1800s.

Richmond is poised for a major urban renewal project. This won't bode well for many of its present residents but many home owners will stay and benefit from the gentrification.

If you're moving to Point Richmond, I don't see any reason you should be "afraid" ... and as far as shopping, it's not THAT far away. I don't see what some of the commenters are talking about. The freeway is right there.

But ... yes... so is Standard Oil's refinery.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM

433 posts, read 2,230,979 times
I would have to wonder how the Point Richmond marina/homes would make out during an earthquake on the Hayward Fault. Are they built on dredge fill? The place might liquify. Seems the Hayward has a higher probability for the "Big One" in the Bay Area than the San Andreas during the next 30 years. Probability greater than 60% for a magnitude 6.7 or higher earthquake. The Hayward seems due...

I certainly understand the appeal of the area. Great location for boating etc. I just wonder about that looming crack in the earth just a few miles to the west.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 AM

35 posts, read 338,690 times
Point Richmond is a lovely area. I would live there any day. Also, do not be afraid or deterred by the negative information regarding the city of Richmond. There is an area called the 'Iron Triange' which is where 90% of the criminal activity occurs. There are million dollar homes in Richmond, I had an attorney who resided in the hills of Richmond and his home was gorgeous!
As for earthquakes...(unlike snowstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes) they do not come every year. I'm figuring the next big one will be in about 30 years or so. Don't worry - be happy

Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 PM

774 posts, read 1,690,654 times
I agree with Bickie. Now ... I don't want to paint the picture that Richmond is Mayberry ... 'cause ... it's NOT. But you do have some really good areas ... and you have a lot of marginal areas ... and you have some DANGEROUS areas.

Everything changes ... but if you have an opportunity to move to Pt. Richmond, I'd take it. I'm not aware of the geological strengths or weaknesses to the area. But it is near a major Standard Oil Refinery.

I wrote a somewhat misleading statement in my earlier post. Pt. Richmond isn't "outside" of Richmond ... it's at the far-most western edge. The San Rafael Bridge that leads to Marin County begins at its water's edge. In short, it's something of an island of calm "out of the way" of a small city that is going through some major changes. It's been bad ... in the next one-to-five years, they're going to really clean that small town up.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 135,035 times
Default Not knocking Point Richmond either

just throwing out some alternatives and letting you know that you will be right next to the refinery. I agree with veganwriter, the Point is nice. For the same money, I would take an ocean front in Crockett, though.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,980,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Wow ... amazing. Point Richmond is one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) area of Richmond. The deep water port made Richmond the most industrious, ethnically diverse area on the West Coast for many, many years. The Liberty ships where built there. Rosie the Riveter was highly active and productive there.

But the city fathers made some awful decisions that may have made them a lot of money, but stuck a stake through the heart of Richmond in the early 80s. They trumped up a phony reason, and moved a once quaint downtown shopping area up to an area called, "Hilltop."

Today Hilltop Mall has fallen on hard times. Carpets are torn and many of its shops are vacant. Hilltop is no longer a majority white area. But worse, "Downtown" has been torned down. I looks like hell. Drugs flooded the area and the Police Department is now one of the most productive institutions left.

Point Richmond? It is still a small town outside of Richmond. It has some really, really, nice homes in its marina (...the idea of a boat tied up outside your front door is not open to everyone/everywhere...) and the hill side still hosts the older Victorians of the 1800s.

Richmond is poised for a major urban renewal project. This won't bode well for many of its present residents but many home owners will stay and benefit from the gentrification.

If you're moving to Point Richmond, I don't see any reason you should be "afraid" ... and as far as shopping, it's not THAT far away. I don't see what some of the commenters are talking about. The freeway is right there.

But ... yes... so is Standard Oil's refinery.
Are you implying that if hilltop was majority white it would be better off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland