Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times

Advertisements

I will agree that SF doesn't feel kid friendly. You could try moving out to Alameda if you like the Bay Area but want a little more bang for your buck. The downtown area is cute, small, but still pretty active.

Have you considered San Diego, Miami, or places close to NYC but outside of it like Jersey City or Hoboken? Once you have kids I doubt awesome nightlife is going to matter so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:05 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Did you seriously put Belltown and Pioneer Square in the same category!? Belltown is one of the nicest downtown neighborhoods! It's gorgeous there and super clean. It's like putting TL and Telegraph Hill in the same category. You must have not been in Seattle in a very long time. Belltown is an expensive and very desirable area to live now. Really there is no point in discussing this because this post proves to me you have no idea about Seattle neighborhoods, at least in 2015.

Pioneer Square is the homeless area in Seattle though. However, most residential neighborhoods in Seattle won't see homeless people, kids are actually able to play in their yards.
I did, because all the times I've been in Seattle I've seen tons of aggressive homeless people in both places. Maybe I'm just imagining it. Kinda like how Union Square has no homeless people, right? I'll be in Seattle next weekend actually, would you like photographic proof?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I did, because all the times I've been in Seattle I've seen tons of aggressive homeless people in both places. Maybe I'm just imagining it. Kinda like how Union Square has no homeless people, right? I'll be in Seattle next weekend actually, would you like photographic proof?
Union Square has tons of homeless people.

Belltown does not, it's also really clean and hip. Yes, by all means take pictures but make sure you include the cross streets so I know you aren't confusing Belltown for a different area. And if you really want full disclosure the pictures should be of the actual street, so you get the actual street with both sidewalks. Taking close up shots of homeless doesn't show anything.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...town-ok-2.html

LOL even people who live in Seattle admit that Belltown has its share of homeless. Whenever I've been walking around, I've seen them. I'm not talking about Queen Anne up in the hills. I'm talking about where all the bars and nightclubs are.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM

I trust my actual local knowledge over internet strangers. The thing is homeless people aren't a common sight in Seattle so its a talking point. Comparing Pioneer Square to Belltown is as stupid as comparing Telegraph Hill to Tenderloin.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
After you have children, all the "stuff" that you think you want/need in a city won't matter nearly as much as you think it does. Trust me.
Correct. Kids consume a great deal of one's personal time, energy, and money. So there's little time, energy, and money to do many of the cool city things after you have them.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I trust my actual local knowledge over internet strangers. The thing is homeless people aren't a common sight in Seattle so its a talking point. Comparing Pioneer Square to Belltown is as stupid as comparing Telegraph Hill to Tenderloin.
It's not though. Both areas are part of downtown! When was the last time you were actually in Seattle, as an adult?

Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It's not though. Both areas are part of downtown! When was the last time you were actually in Seattle, as an adult?
Last month, actually wait it's still Feb, so actually this month lol.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
You're right, O4kL4nD. Improvements in Belltown haven't eliminated the homeless. And the discussion of homeless downtown says nothing about the homeless problem in the University District, which didn't used to have homeless until after the Reagan presidency, more or less, and homeless living in Ravenna Park.

Just because there may not be homeless visible during the day doesn't mean they're not there. The last time I was in downtown SF (years ago), I was puzzled, in disbelief, almost, over the fact that there were no homeless in Union Square!! Where did they go? Well, somehow Gavin Newsom figured out something to do with them during daytime; maybe there was a new shelter or community center, or something, where they'd hang out during the day. Then I noticed them coming out of the woodwork after 5 pm. Maybe there's something like that currently going on in Belltown. Or maybe the homeless have been corralled into a part of Belltown. There certainly have been complaints on the Seattle forum about Belltown residents and tourists encountering homeless in and around Belltown.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're right, O4kL4nD. Improvements in Belltown haven't eliminated the homeless. And the discussion of homeless downtown says nothing about the homeless problem in the University District, which didn't used to have homeless until after the Reagan presidency, more or less, and homeless living in Ravenna Park.

Just because there may not be homeless visible during the day doesn't mean they're not there. The last time I was in downtown SF (years ago), I was puzzled, in disbelief, almost, over the fact that there were no homeless in Union Square!! Where did they go? Well, somehow Gavin Newsom figured out something to do with them during daytime; maybe there was a new shelter or community center, or something, where they'd hang out during the day. Then I noticed them coming out of the woodwork after 5 pm. Maybe there's something like that currently going on in Belltown. Or maybe the homeless have been corralled into a part of Belltown. There certainly have been complaints on the Seattle forum about Belltown residents and tourists encountering homeless in and around Belltown.

Nah, that can't possibly be! Seattle doesn't have a problem with homelessness. Just SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland