Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
A lot of the things you listed are parts of why I'm leaving SF at the end of this month. I don't care about the dating scene, but the high cost of the rent and the people/culture is not for me. I'm moving to LA next month.

Despite what people say, I've always felt like there's no true culture in SF. There's tech and that's about it. There aren't too many artists who are trying to make a living from their art; just tech folks that are trying to build the ~next big thing.~ It's boring and not worth the money.

Plus, I absolutely hated the fact that the city was so dirty and grimy! Literally, every street is covered in dog and/or human ****. It's disgusting. And although LA won't be much better, I hated that it took me 35 - 45 minutes to drive 6 miles in SF. For a city that's so small and relatively empty compared to LA, it makes no sense that the driving conditions aren't better. If my commute is going to be like that, then I figured I might as well move to LA, which is cheaper and has artsier folks.
You could have easily checked out Berkeley or Oakland if you were looking for an artsier vibe and saved yourself a 225 mile move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
A lot of the things you listed are parts of why I'm leaving SF at the end of this month. I don't care about the dating scene, but the high cost of the rent and the people/culture is not for me. I'm moving to LA next month.

Despite what people say, I've always felt like there's no true culture in SF. There's tech and that's about it. There aren't too many artists who are trying to make a living from their art; just tech folks that are trying to build the ~next big thing.~ It's boring and not worth the money.

Plus, I absolutely hated the fact that the city was so dirty and grimy! Literally, every street is covered in dog and/or human ****. It's disgusting. And although LA won't be much better, I hated that it took me 35 - 45 minutes to drive 6 miles in SF. For a city that's so small and relatively empty compared to LA, it makes no sense that the driving conditions aren't better. If my commute is going to be like that, then I figured I might as well move to LA, which is cheaper and has artsier folks.

LA has its "dirty and grimy" parts too, to be sure, but since LA is sunnier -- on the whole -- than SF, I think it's cleaner. The sun's rays have a way of drying out and killing off grime.

If you want to be in a part of LA that has an artsy vibe (similar to SF) than I'd suggest the following neighborhoods:

Highland Park
Eagle Rock
Atwater Village
Silver Lake
Echo Park
east side of Los Feliz

These are all pretty artsy areas and not too dangerous. Atwater Village somewhat reminds me of the Sunset District in San Francisco.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

There used to be, but most of them got pushed out into the East Bay, due to the high rents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4kL4nD;
You could have easily checked out Berkeley or Oakland if you were looking for an artsier vibe and saved yourself a 225 mile move.
This. Berkeley/Oakland are probably what you're looking for. I'd prefer that far above LA. But...suit yourself.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
No city/ area is going to appeal to 100% of all people, 100% of the time. In fact, every city has those who can't wait to move for a myriad of reasons, so I won't be losing sleep over the OP and others that desire to leave, so yeah, deuces.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No city/ area is going to appeal to 100% of all people, 100% of the time. In fact, every city has those who can't wait to move for a myriad of reasons, so I won't be losing sleep over the OP and others that desire to leave, so yeah, deuces.
Exactly!

There is no point in debating someone over a personal preference. Someone who loves Chinese food and hates American food isn't going to change his/her mind, so why debate a preference.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Other than living in SoCal in early adulthood for edumacation and early career, I am a lifer.

Even so, unless I hit a windfall, when my career completes, I'm outta here.

No way to reconcile the extreme COL once the job thing is no longer relevant.

At this extreme COL level, I am expecting an NYC, a London, a Tokyo, a Paris.

Sorry to slime the boosters and rah rahs who post here, but we are not that good.
Absolutely. If you are not getting a good return on your investment, why would you stay?

It seems odd to suggest that your personal measure is universal, though, especially to those of us who do get a good return on our investment via the cost of living paid to be here. SF (and the Bay Area, by association)offers a combination of factors affecting quality of life that is wholly unique and, as such, commands a premium (much as those other places you list do, as they are also unique in their own respect).

Your statement seems to suggest that people must have been drawn to SF seeking a smaller scale (and thus expecting a lower cost) New York, London, etc. and are disenchanted that SF is not like a bargain version of those other cities. In fact, none of those other cities is like any of the others...including San Francisco.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
California is transitional for many... just the way it is... whether you are selling and cashing out or find the price of day to day living a burden.

For others, it is family ties for either staying or leaving.

Not to mention California is absolutely huge... much more than big metro areas...

I have friends that are here on assignment... British and Swiss and they are 100% in love... and believe it or not... find just about everything to be a bargain... all a matter of prospective.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
California is transitional for many... just the way it is... whether you are selling and cashing out or find the price of day to day living a burden.

For others, it is family ties for either staying or leaving.

Not to mention California is absolutely huge... much more than big metro areas...

I have friends that are here on assignment... British and Swiss and they are 100% in love... and believe it or not... find just about everything to be a bargain... all a matter of prospective.
Hmm you guys got me thinking... NYC is known to be transitional too, especially Manhattan. Lots of young, bright, and ambitious folks move or go to school there, stay for a few years and then move on. Some of them get fed up with the high COL and after all the fun they had, feel it is time to move on. Some start families and need more space so they move to places like Connecticut. That is a transitional city.

But California may very well be on its way to being the same thing but on a statewide level. Perhaps that is why people lament the loss of the old, down-to-earth California. The one that was pleasant and nice, not crowded, expensive, and stressful. Maybe it was less transitional than it is now and is increasingly become more so over time. Any old timers though probably have a better long term perspective on that. California is becoming a transitional state, like NYC is a transitional city... Interesting for me to imagine.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Hmm you guys got me thinking... NYC is known to be transitional too, especially Manhattan. Lots of young, bright, and ambitious folks move or go to school there, stay for a few years and then move on. Some of them get fed up with the high COL and after all the fun they had, feel it is time to move on. Some start families and need more space so they move to places like Connecticut. That is a transitional city.

But California may very well be on its way to being the same thing but on a statewide level. Perhaps that is why people lament the loss of the old, down-to-earth California. The one that was pleasant and nice, not crowded, expensive, and stressful. Maybe it was less transitional than it is now and is increasingly become more so over time. Any old timers though probably have a better long term perspective on that. California is becoming a transitional state, like NYC is a transitional city... Interesting for me to imagine.
I've noticed the Bay Area being transitional for a long time now. It seems like I've constantly been saying goodbye to friends I've made who are "moving back" or "moving on". I hoped that would change as I got older but it hasn't and even the people that stuck around for a few decades are retiring elsewhere, usually to be closer to family and those they left behind when they transferred here for work. It's a bummer I tell ya! I have to be making new friends every few years!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've noticed the Bay Area being transitional for a long time now. It seems like I've constantly been saying goodbye to friends I've made who are "moving back" or "moving on". I hoped that would change as I got older but it hasn't and even the people that stuck around for a few decades are retiring elsewhere, usually to be closer to family and those they left behind when they transferred here for work. It's a bummer I tell ya! I have to be making new friends every few years!
Is that why I keep feeling like the social ties here in the Bay Area tend to be weak? Is it simply the COL that has created this? Or other things as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland