Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM

123 posts, read 867,356 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can anyone give me any info on the Bays? I have been confused about the 'Bay Area' for a very long time. So now that I've figured out there is a north bay, south bay, east bay and peninsula can someone tell me about them? Which are the best for jobs? for apartments? money-wise? safety-wise? And are these bays separate from San Francisco itself or are they IN SF? I always thought 'the bay area' was part OF san francisco.

Also how much of SF is Bay? If it isn't Bay, what is it? Anyone?

This will be my first visit and I'm coming alone. I would like to avoid places where I can be easily lost (take the wrong turn and I'm screwed). Which area would you suggest I linger in?

Greatly appreciate it, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM

141 posts, read 534,799 times
First of all you need to look at a map. Note the that there is a bay - the SF Bay - and note the cities bordering that bay. That is the Bay Area - pretty much the area around the bay - hence the name. You can answer most of your questions if you look closely at a map. Try maps.google.com and just browse around. Your other questions are too general to answer. Jobs area everywhere. What kind of job are you looking for? Try zillow.com and turn on the "heat map". The really expensive homes will generally indicate "good" areas and the really cheap homes will indicate "bad" areas. That's not to say the middle areas aren't good... it's just a very general indicator.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
The Bay area is generally considered to be the 9 counties that ring the bay. They are; Marin, Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, Napa, Solano, and Sonoma.

It's time for you to get a map. A 300 page book could be written about the questions you asked, it's a very large and diverse area.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,748 times
not to confuse the original poster, but a question ....how many actual bays are in bay area? and i dont mean north bay, south bay, east bay etc .....

i know of San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Bay, Richardson Bay, San Leandro Bay .... any more?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
This is the Bay Area, more or less:

FYI -
Marin City to Novato (and above) is the North Bay
Vallejo to Hayward-ish & out to Pittsburgh and Pleasanton is the East Bay
Fremont (or Milpitas?) to Los Gatos & everything south is the South Bay
Los Altos to Daly City is the Peninsula, which is often broken down as North, Mid or South Peninsula
Cities on the ocean/hwy 1 are usually called "the coast," but also are part of the Peninsula or North Bay
And obviously, San Francisco is "the city"... confused yet? Even I probably messed up some of that, which I'm sure somebody will comment on - LOL.

As for the rest of your questions, the other posters are correct... you'll have to narrow it down a bit, or we'll end up writing novels in response!

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-10-2008 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Fremont is usually grouped in with the East Bay, because it's in Alameda County. Otherwise I'd agree with that description.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
not to confuse the original poster, but a question ....how many actual bays are in bay area? and i dont mean north bay, south bay, east bay etc .....

i know of San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Bay, Richardson Bay, San Leandro Bay .... any more?
There is also Suisun Bay (where the mothball fleet is parked).

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
There is also Suisun Bay (where the mothball fleet is parked).
Mentally I've always wrapped my mind around these as one big bay (generically the SF Bay), and have wondered about the need for the different distinctions.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Years of sailing on SF bay and I never heard of San Leandro Bay, but I've fallen down a couple of times leaving the San Leandro Yacht Club

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Years of sailing on SF bay and I never heard of San Leandro Bay, but I've fallen down a couple of times leaving the San Leandro Yacht Club

haha I heard it cause I stay in Alameda ... and it's close to Alameda

btw, there are many more bays i found when wiking (shouldn't that be a new word added to the dictionary) San Leandro Bay. There's Bodega Bay (remember Hitchcock's Birds anyone?), Half Moon Bay, Grizzly Bay, Tomales Bay

San Leandro Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland