Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I meant, it could get weird if all the service people have to live in the East Bay and Daly City, and commute to the city to staff the hotels, restaurants and coffee shows. It's already weird enough.
Yeah, as Jade said, those places are already unaffordable to people working service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Th fix is actually easy, build more housing than their is demand and prices will fall.

San Francisco, like most of the Bay Area is full of NIMBY's that will do whatever it takes to stunt growth. Leading to higher and higher housing prices, benefiting those same NIMBY's who own the current property.
It may even be easier than that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/op...ight.html?_r=0

I’ve recently joined the ranks of San Francisco landlords who have decided that it’s better to keep an apartment empty than to lease it to tenants. Together, we have left vacant about 10,600 rental units. That’s about five percent of the city’s total — or enough space to house up to 30,000 people in a city that barely tops 800,000.

.....after renting out a one-bedroom apartment in my home for several years, I will never do it again. San Francisco’s anti-landlord housing laws and political climate make it untenable.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:26 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, as Jade said, those places are already unaffordable to people working service jobs.
Unless they stack a small army in each house/apartment. All these highly-paid people wanting to live large need all the "little people" to do the dirty work to float their lifestyles, but don't want them to live anywhere near where they do, since the worker bees need to squeeze a lot of low incomes under one roof just to get by.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Unless they stack a small army in each house/apartment. All these highly-paid people wanting to live large need all the "little people" to do the dirty work to float their lifestyles, but don't want them to live anywhere near where they do, since the worker bees need to squeeze a lot of low incomes under one roof just to get by.
Agreed. The worker bees are going to have to get wise and vote with their feet and leave...Unforunately, they don't. And I suppose if they did, we'd just import more illegal immigrants to do the work. Very frustrating.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Wherefore shall we find these vast expanses that don't already feature thorough buildout, congestion, no parking, dilapidated infrastructure, noise, stink, and people disconnected from their community, only to add more of the same? Not exactly oodles of room in SF.
There isn't oodles of room in SF, which is why the only way to increase supply is to build UP like in many cities in Asia. If you aren't willing to see that happen, then you can't complain about outrageous home/rent prices.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM

540 posts, read 653,210 times
Quote:
Th fix is actually easy, build more housing than their is demand and prices will fall.

San Francisco, like most of the Bay Area is full of NIMBY's that will do whatever it takes to stunt growth. Leading to higher and higher housing prices, benefiting those same NIMBY's who own the current property.
How does that help? San Francisco is building a bunch of new Condo's right downtown and surrounding but they are completly unaffordable. They are building for the rich. Oakland the same thing. All those uptown Condo's & Apartments are unaffordable for most people. The Grand has 1 bedrooms renting for $3300

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
How does that help? San Francisco is building a bunch of new Condo's right downtown and surrounding but they are completly unaffordable. They are building for the rich. Oakland the same thing. All those uptown Condo's & Apartments are unaffordable for most people. The Grand has 1 bedrooms renting for $3300
The price is high because they have not built enough, demand is still far outpacing supply. The city went years without building anything meaningful. High rises need to be built for years to increase supply in a meaningful way.

The cost of the new housing will be high, but it lowers the cost of old housing since the older housing is less desirable than the new housing. This, plus allowing 2nd unit conversions (like garages) while giving the property owner some protection would help a bunch as well. Maybe a good balance is easing renter protections in properties where the owner lives on site.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 AM

424 posts, read 466,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Dolores Park hit again by vandals - SFGate

This is a common occurrence and I'm sure it wasn't committed by a tech person earning a good income. This is one of the main reasons why I like gentrification because unfortunately there is a very real correlation between low income people and crime/vandalism/etc.
WOW....literally how ignorant can you get? bmw335xi.....are you serious?

The first people to respond to your ignorant and embarrassing post are completely right about vandalism and stupid behavior not being confined to low income people.

In addition, because the city is being gentrified so much - the middle/working classes are being hollowed out of San Francisco.

All that will be left are the extremes of immensely wealthy people and the have nots (homeless, etc.). How is that healthy for any urban environment? The extremely low income - to no income at all will probably remain in the city no matter how gentrified it gets.

I would think it would be better for the city's long term economic health if the majority of it's inhabitants were middle class and the two extremes on either side of them (the super rich and the super poor) were the minorities in the city.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:42 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
I'll need to drive through Palo Alto on my way home today to check for all this vandalism that is supposed to be happening in affluent neighborhoods everyone keeps talking about.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
I'll need to drive through Palo Alto on my way home today to check for all this vandalism that is supposed to be happening in affluent neighborhoods everyone keeps talking about.

Don't forget to drive through Hillsborough as well, that place is covered with graffiti, vandalism and random crime from those pesky affluent people! If you want to see how society should be just drive through West Oakland, International, Hunter's Point and Tenderloin to get an idea on how great society can be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland