Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Really?

Any "real discussion" should be fact based, don't you agree?
I made the point that the bulk of spending should be in mental health, education and work programs, which only makes up a small percent of the money being spent on homelessness as of now. There is no proven solution yet, so discussion in this matter is subjective. It's good to backup arguments with facts when applicable, but it is also important to remember nobody knows how to fix this problem as of now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I made the point that the bulk of spending should be in mental health, education and work programs, which only makes up a small percent of the money being spent on homelessness as of now. There is no proven solution yet, so discussion in this matter is subjective. It's good to backup arguments with facts when applicable, but it is also important to remember nobody knows how to fix this problem as of now.
1 - When, exactly, are facts NOT applicable?

2 - You have not educated yourself as to how those funds are applied under the categories identified. Nor, apparently, do you understand anything about the nature of most of the problems you complain about. Clearly you know nothing about mental illnesses and addiction, nor about medications

As I have said several times, you have the obvious ability to learn and understand. Baffling you don't bother while continuing to press on with ignorant statements and claims.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
1 - When, exactly, are facts NOT applicable?

2 - You have not educated yourself as to how those funds are applied under the categories identified. Nor, apparently, do you understand anything about the nature of most of the problems you complain about. Clearly you know nothing about mental illnesses and addiction, nor about medications

As I have said several times, you have the obvious ability to learn and understand. Baffling you don't bother while continuing to press on with ignorant statements and claims.
Oh yes, the FAR left mindset is so knowledgable regarding these issues which explains why SF doesn't have a homeless crisis, right?

Get off your high horse Tulemutt. Trust me, I feel the same way about you. My feeling toward you, is that you live in a little bubble not understanding the underlying issues at work. If you are going to avoid discussing solutions and instead just make cheap attacks at me, then we can add each other to the ignore list as well, so we don't ever have to see each other's posts again.

When it comes to facts, you can use them to support both arguments, so on issues that haven't been solved yet, creative thinking also needs to apply.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Oh yes, the FAR left mindset is so knowledgable regarding these issues which explains why SF doesn't have a homeless crisis, right?

Get off your high horse Tulemutt. Trust me, I feel the same way about you. My feeling toward you, is that you live in a little bubble not understanding the underlying issues at work. If you are going to avoid discussing solutions and instead just make cheap attacks at me, then we can add each other to the ignore list as well, so we don't ever have to see each other's posts again.

When it comes to facts, you can use them to support both arguments, so on issues that haven't been solved yet, creative thinking also needs to apply.
I see. Well, er, no, I don't.

At what point did ANY political ideology enter the conversation?

At what point has anyone said SF doesn't have a homeless crisis?

What "high horse" am I on?

What "bubble" do I live in, having lived well more than twice your years, probably about 4x the adult years you have under your belt - mostly connected to the streets you talk about but haven't roamed and interacted with as I have.

Yes, "Facts" can (and should) be used in ALL sides of discussions. And you aren't using them. That's the point.

How am I not discussing "Solutions"? There is no simple or single "Solution" to the symptom of homelessness - because, as I have been pointing out to you, the causes of homelessness, and addictions, are many. The Solutions, plural, are many. And many are being applied through the existing programs. And many people benefit from them. Others do not and continue to fall. And new afflicted continually enter the cycle even as others graduate.

Your "Solution" is to force sobriety. Very nice, bmw. Except everyone in the field KNOWS for a FACT that forced sobriety cures nothing. Speaking of discussing solutions.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I see. Well, er, no, I don't.

At what point did ANY political ideology enter the conversation?

At what point has anyone said SF doesn't have a homeless crisis?

What "high horse" am I on?

What "bubble" do I live in, having lived well more than twice your years, probably about 4x the adult years you have under your belt - mostly connected to the streets you talk about but haven't roamed and interacted with as I have.

Yes, "Facts" can (and should) be used in ALL sides of discussions. And you aren't using them. That's the point.

How am I not discussing "Solutions"? There is no simple or single "Solution" to the symptom of homelessness - because, as I have been pointing out to you, the causes of homelessness, and addictions, are many. The Solutions, plural, are many. And many are being applied through the existing programs. And many people benefit from them. Others do not and continue to fall. And new afflicted continually enter the cycle even as others graduate.

Your "Solution" is to force sobriety. Very nice, bmw. Except everyone in the field KNOWS for a FACT that forced sobriety cures nothing. Speaking of discussing solutions.
1) At what point? Come on, you should know lol.

2) Nobody is saying SF doesn't have a homeless crisis. However, many are basically saying the way we tackle the issue shouldn't change. Well, I can tell you that the current method isn't working.

3) You act as if you know everything about the issue and that anyone that disagrees, needs to go educate themselves.

4) You think giving homeless free money and housing will fix their problems that is what I call living in a bubble.

5) Facts support both arguments.

6) You haven't recommended anything to solve the issue besides defending the current path, which is not working.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
I think what he and others are saying is that eradicating homelessness isn't realistic. It's not some new phenomenon that has a simple solution. It's also not ever going to completely disappear. Simply locking people up and turning them into criminals isn't any better than just ignoring it. It's much more complicated than the 'solution' you are positing. It sounds like you're just bothered by the visibly addicted and mentally ill, which is only one part of the equation.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think what he and others are saying is that eradicating homelessness isn't realistic. It's not some new phenomenon that has a simple solution. Simply locking people up and turning them into criminals isn't any better than just ignoring it. It's much more complicated than the 'solution' you are positing.
I never claimed it would completely solve the issue. I also mentioned the city should be focusing resources primarily toward education, mental health and a jobs program.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Ok, but your main argument and solution is advocating jail time for these people.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, but your main argument and solution is advocating jail time for these people.
Why should a person who is high or carrying meth be arrested but not a homeless person?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think what he and others are saying is that eradicating homelessness isn't realistic. It's not some new phenomenon that has a simple solution. It's also not ever going to completely disappear. Simply locking people up and turning them into criminals isn't any better than just ignoring it. It's much more complicated than the 'solution' you are positing. It sounds like you're just bothered by the visibly addicted and mentally ill, which is only one part of the equation.
Precisely spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland