Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:51 PM

387 posts, read 356,192 times

Advertisements

San Francisco homeless people are really annoying and aggressive...In NYC/Chicago they usually just ignore you or ask for money and then do nothing after that...The sheer amount of homeless people in San Fran is alarming aswell....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 12:18 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
San Francisco homeless people are really annoying and aggressive...In NYC/Chicago they usually just ignore you or ask for money and then do nothing after that...The sheer amount of homeless people in San Fran is alarming aswell....
the violent or aggressive ones may be ex convicts, they have nowhere to go when they get out of prison and end up on the streets and back to their old ways

they arent so innocent as some people think they are, besides drug addicts and mental illness, many are also ex convicts out of prison

the guy you give handouts to could be a ex convict that did time for rape, murder, armed robbery, child molester, assault or attempted murder , etc

some are actually bad people that you cant trust

Old 03-28-2015, 02:48 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
I agree. A few of my friends from FL moved here and said the homeless here are ________. One of them said he used to buy some food or drink for homeless in FL and they would be really happy about it where as over here the vast majority of his experiences have been horrible. They just want money. I stopped caring after a few bad experiences too. I was in Starbucks and got a homeless guy some water and he yelled at me and said I want coffee.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:49 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
The numbers are very alarming and I think this had a lot to do with the increase.

SHAME OF THE CITY / THE BEST INTENTIONS / The kindness San Francisco extends to the homeless - welfare checks and daily handouts - has combined with political gridlock to allow the problem to persist - SFGate

While I have compassion for homeless people I don't have tolerance for the aggressive or drugged up ones.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The numbers are very alarming and I think this had a lot to do with the increase.

SHAME OF THE CITY / THE BEST INTENTIONS / The kindness San Francisco extends to the homeless - welfare checks and daily handouts - has combined with political gridlock to allow the problem to persist - SFGate

While I have compassion for homeless people I don't have tolerance for the aggressive or drugged up ones.
Did you even read the article?
"...But that will never be enough to solve the problem, he said. The only solution is getting the homeless into "supportive housing," meaning a room and enough on-site counseling to cure the substance abuse, mental illness or joblessness that rendered them homeless in the first place."

What is missing in San Francisco is supportive housing, and yes - even for the 'drugged up ones'. Maybe you should read up on "housing first"
Give the Homeless Homes - The New Yorker

Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"...But that will never be enough to solve the problem, he said. The only solution is getting the homeless into "supportive housing," meaning a room and enough on-site counseling to cure the substance abuse, mental illness or joblessness that rendered them homeless in the first place."

What is missing in San Francisco is supportive housing, and yes - even for the 'drugged up ones'. Maybe you should read up on "housing first"

Wow you really have issues with missing my points.

My point was the alarming number of homeless in SF and what has helped to contribute to this alarming amount.

When you read my posts take a deep breathe and re-read them.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Two wrongs don't make this right.

Both systems are destroying the US.

Now back to the homeless issue...where is my knee-walker when I need it?
Bingo

If we’re going to have a war, let’s do it right. The battle lines should be drawn orthogonally to the oversimplified “rich versus the rest.” A virtuous war would be one that rewards society’s honest earners and productive contributors, while punishing society’s predators, pirates, and parasites—all without regard to anyone’s income level.

http://www.aei.org/publication/the-c...rfare-we-need/

Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Wow you really have issues with missing my points.

My point was the alarming number of homeless in SF and what has helped to contribute to this alarming amount.

When you read my posts take a deep breathe and re-read them.
My breathing is just fine, thank you. You said "I think THIS is contributing to it" What is THIS? The $410 that some homeless get? There is no evidence that giving them cash aid and blankets and food keep them homeless, or keeps them in San Francisco, is there?

If that is your point, that if we refused all social services to the homeless they would just "go away". I don't agree. I recently moved to California from Nevada and Reno is full of homeless people and cops arrest them every chance they get, there is NO welfare for the homeless, no one gives them blankets or food and the tent city they once had has been torn down. In spite of being treated quite poorly, they are still there; the nice ones, mean ones, drunk ones, psychotic ones, old ones, young ones, they are there in the snow in February and the heat in September.

A good number of the homeless in any City were once residents of that City and for whatever reason they are now homeless, they have no where else to go- the City they are homeless in is the only place they know about and with no resources they don't have the means to relocate. Many of them are aggressive and quite hostile, but could it be that those behaviors might be related to untreated mental illness? Same with the "drugged up ones", except for some fake homeless kids, they aren't out there partying, many do have serious substance abuse issues, and some recent research has shown that substance abuse is very strongly related to despair and isolation The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think*|*Johann Hari By the way, the book "Chasing the Scream" is very interesting, you might want to read it.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

And 10 years later after more supportive housing is provided, we get this:

Since then, about 9,000 people have been lifted off the sidewalks and given a roof over their heads.
And yet, it seems like little has changed.

Panhandlers still swarm residents and tourists alike. Ragged down-and-outers still hang out on the sidewalks with giant bindles or heaped shopping carts. Drug users inject in the open all over downtown......

The result is a huge population of formerly homeless people who still beg, do drugs, wander around with bags of junk - in short, who behave exactly like homeless people. Except they sleep inside at night.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
And 10 years later after more supportive housing is provided, we get this:

Since then, about 9,000 people have been lifted off the sidewalks and given a roof over their heads.
And yet, it seems like little has changed.

Panhandlers still swarm residents and tourists alike. Ragged down-and-outers still hang out on the sidewalks with giant bindles or heaped shopping carts. Drug users inject in the open all over downtown......

The result is a huge population of formerly homeless people who still beg, do drugs, wander around with bags of junk - in short, who behave exactly like homeless people. Except they sleep inside at night.
If you are going to quote from an article, then don't cherry pick- that article goes on to explain the problems with the current system which can pretty much be summed up as "The only solution is getting the homeless into "supportive housing," meaning a room and enough on-site counseling to cure the substance abuse, mental illness or joblessness that rendered them homeless in the first place."

SF struggles to help ex-homeless thrive off streets - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland