Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM

43 posts, read 131,927 times

Advertisements

The story so far...

Single guy, 30, going for his 2nd job after college.

I'm pretty sure that in the next week I will be offered a job in downtown SF (Mission and 2nd) or downtown SJ (Santa Clara and 1st). I live in SJ. The first one is in a big company, the role is specific, but the department is small so there is "some" mobility and potential for growth. The second one is at a startup (100 people) the job position hasn't even been created yet, and of course I'd have the potential to interact cross departmentally and learn and make a difference. Of course compensation will be a big part of my decision. BUT, assuming that generally speaking a bigger company in a high cost of living city will pay more than a startup running on venture capital. OTOH, the position at the startup might be higher up in the food chain, so right now it's a bit of a toss up. If location wasn't an issue, I'd pick the startup job over the big corp one. (i.e. SJ). However, if the position wasn't an issue (similar responsabilities and pay) I'd pick the location. (i.e. SF).

Should I move to SF regardless of the job, and enjoy a better 'city' experience? i.e. what does SF has that's better than SJ, and on the flip side, what are the cons of SanFran vs SanHo?

Last edited by rfung; 11-06-2006 at 11:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 01:15 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,210,083 times
Both SF and SJ are about the same price(expensive) for whatever you wanna do. That said, SF has a significantly higher crime rate than SJ, though it is also certainly more urban and has a much more intense and vibrant city feel to it.

San Jose is, generally speaking, much more quiet, clean, and safe, though truth be told, it can get a little boring, at least in comparison with San Francisco.

I'm not familiar with SJ neighborhoods, but am very much so with pretty much every single inch of SF. Where exactly would you plan on living in the city?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

31 posts, read 109,924 times
San Jose I've heard can get very boring and it's kinda far so harder to get out to the city here I would compare it too like New York and Brokklyn or soemthing even further than than people move to New York City hoping to live in the city no one moves there to like in Jersey or something. San Jose is better maybe if you want more space or more suburban feel.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,414,393 times
I moved to the bay area recently, and work in IT... looking around at several different options.
I am definitely a city person, I like eating out with friends at lunch, and again in the evening, going out, going to new events, not relying on a car, and have visited mountain view/sj/etc...For instance I've got a membership at SFMOMA already so yesterday got to bring several friends there for free and check out the Avedon collection, then went to a few thrift stores, bought a jacket b/c it was chilly for 2.00 and had some Burmese food on Clement. Don't think I could do these kinds of things in SJ with the same vibe. Even though the job opportunities there are much better, I would go out of my mind working there so I am only looking for jobs in SF. I can't go there without having office space quotes pop up in my head. I am a recent transplant from Chicago but personally wouldn't ever consider living in SJ. I was in Florida for 6 months in between and just quit my job there in Tallahassee because it was so damn boring to live there. Who cares if there is money to be made if your life sucks..?
For me it is lifestyle first, job 2nd, I've never felt that I am whatever job I am doing or my career.

You already live in SJ though, so maybe SF is not for you? They are cities that cater to two completely different type of life styles, one very urban, one very suburban.

Last edited by grapico; 07-22-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
For instance I've got a membership at SFMOMA already so yesterday got to bring several friends there for free and check out the Avedon collection, then went to a few thrift stores, bought a jacket b/c it was chilly for 2.00 and had some Burmese food on Clement. Don't think I could do these kinds of things in SJ with the same vibe.
Are you originally from the sticks? All of California has thrifts stores and ethnic restaurants. It's only in San Francisco where transplants will stop and reflect on how "omg European" they are for doing everyday **** like that.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,959,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Are you originally from the sticks? All of California has thrifts stores and ethnic restaurants. It's only in San Francisco where transplants will stop and reflect on how "omg European" they are for doing everyday **** like that.
LOL. True. And my friends from NY who have visited and/or lived in SF could not wait to get back east.. they found SF a little too parochial and populated by people who liked to talk about how wonderful it was in SF as if needed affirmation (something NYers did not have to do).

As a teenager living in Los Gatos I could not wait to get to the city (SF). I started my career in San Francisco and I loved it then, until I moved to NY and realized what I was missing in SF. Now that I'm older I'd take neither SF or NY but... and shockingly.. I'd chose Los Gatos. I guess one can go home (to quote that Bon Jovi song).

You get to a stage of live where you hate congestion and people living on top of you and pretention ("oh we are so Euro and can only get this in the city". Yes SJ will have congestion but I know my way around San Jose and can get around it. And I love the coast south of Monterrey.

Alas I am far from San Jose, living in the New Hampshire seacoast. I have at my disposal amazing mountain hikes and easy access to amazing Maine coastal scenery (as well as easy acccess to the 24 hour LL Bean store).

But alas I know that as I continue to age, I may get tired of winter and who knows, some day I'll truly make it back home to San Jose (okay Los Gatos).

Last edited by minibrings; 07-25-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,414,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, actually SF seems a bit small but is cool for now, having lived in Paris and Chicago. The point was that is a typical day. Maybe that is typical of people in SJ as well, but that hasn't been my impression the few times I have been there.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,311,656 times
Maybe the OP should forget the Bay Area (and for that matter, California) entirely:

Best Cities For Singles 2009 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 07-29-2009, 05:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,622,427 times
A city is someplace you can live without a car, otherwise it's an overgrown suburb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland