Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times

Advertisements

They have bans like this in Montana. It is common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I wish we had that.
Everyone with their fireplaces and outdoor kitchens creating choking, third world-smelling stench.

Ugh.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wish we had that.
Everyone with their fireplaces and outdoor kitchens creating choking, third world-smelling stench.

Ugh.
I don't like it when smoke from neighbors' chimneys and BBQ grills get into my house either. It usually happens on days when there isn't much wind or the air is stagnant, but, fortunately, my neighbors rarely burn wood lately.

Wood burning might be okay in less populated areas where properties are far apart for the smoke to not suffocate people, but in densely populated cities it's going to affect people.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A couple of comments...

Wood burning standards are good.

Wood burning is often a misnomer because too many simply do not know or choose to ignore rules that forbid the burning of trash... plastic are the worst for pollution.

Modern EPA certified ultra low emission stoves are super clean and require seasoned hardwood... NO TRASH BURNING.

My fireplace insert in California is one of these certified units that uses an expensive Catalytic Convertor to maintain low emissions... the previous owner installed it with permit.

It is heavy handed to say the least when any agency or group lumps all "Wood Burners" together because the science proves otherwise.

My point is the Air Quality Districts around the country prefer to take a shotgun approach for expediency...

Also... I rarely burn... may twice a year EXCEPT when the power is down and a few years ago the area wide outage lasted a week at below zero some nights...

If you want the support of the citizens use some common sense and realize those that burn seasoned hardwood in certified stoves are not the problem... and I have been told this by a regulator when I attended public hearings... followed by it is easier to enforce blanket bans.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I don't like it when smoke from neighbors' chimneys and BBQ grills get into my house either. It usually happens on days when there isn't much wind or the air is stagnant, but, fortunately, my neighbors rarely burn wood lately.

Wood burning might be okay in less populated areas where properties are far apart for the smoke to not suffocate people, but in densely populated cities it's going to affect people.
Densely populated cities have few wood burning fireplaces or easy access to firewood...

Without a reliable source of local firewood... wood heat is not economical nor convenient.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
In any case, this needs to be stiff armed. It is a step too far.

In addition to all the other improvements we need to fund in our old house, we don't need this on top of it all.

And given how much it costs people to buy a house to begin with, this is just a slap in the face.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Prediction - if they get away with this, come the next big earthquake, there will be about 10X the number of actual damaged fireplaces submitted as claims. The day after the quake people will "help the earthquake."

Insurance companies should also oppose BAAQMD on this one.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wish we had that.

Ugh.
Ironically, the hardest thing to enforce or control is use of outdoor devices. And of course none of those have catalytic convertors. Even here, the BAAQMD will never really be able to stop the outdoor action. And the outdoor action will increase, if anything, given our generally outdoor friendly climate and the fact that many people love a crackling fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland