Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
A lot of people will say it "takes pressure off of those other houses/apartments in SF". And while they're technically correct, don't count on that actually making any significant impact. Because SF is so drastically under-supplied, we'd have to build tens of thousands of units of things similar to being built in SOMA to make any sort of actual dent in overall SF rental prices.
Exactly. The city has been so anti growth for so long that it will take time to correct the problem. Time to get started and maybe in 10 to 15 years housing would go down.

You remind me of the people who would say we shouldn't drill for more oil because it would take 5 years before prices would go down, of course they have been saying that for 20 years. Once we finally started drilling for more oil than the miracle happened, prices went down. Same thing would be true of housing on San Francisco.

Start building smartly and in large volumes and prices will go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I will respond to this in greater detail, but literally not a single problem you have listed is unique to San Francisco. Somehow, all these other cities have managed to grow without someone getting hammered for sticking their neck out and building a subway.
So, we've come full circle and are back to refusing to acknowledge that SF is unique in its geography and urban structure.

Case in point:

For The Richmond to grow and increase density to the degree proposed, major transportation infrastructure would have to happen. Likely, that means a subway, as the surface transportation is already overly taxed to the point of being inefficient with current density levels.

If the City built that subway first, owners of smaller properties out in the Richmond would see their property skyrocket in value--to the point that developers could not afford to buy them out to build the higher density properties the subway was meant to serve. $700K flats become $1.2 million flats the day the first train runs and the whole area loses its unique sense of place as it now becomes more attractive to transient commuter newcomers who dilute its local charm.

Conversely, if the developers come in first and build the higher density properties without efficient transportation infrastructure, the drawbacks of the area are exacerbated. Developers who spec'ed their new units at $800K + based on demand, from transportation-dependent newcomers could see their properties plummet to half that with the glut that stayed on the market, passed over by people who'd rather not deal with an over-burdened bus system and nightmare traffic.

I know what you're going to say, "Values plummeting to half?! That's great--affordable housing comes to SF!" But what you would have done is killed growth by overbuilding and you've hindered development by making it unprofitable for developers to build in the area. So, they would stop, as properties cool down. Now, you've got the same shortage of desirable housing, but with lower valuations than when you started.

It's a catch-22. Who sticks their neck out? Who has the plan? You can't really do both simultaneously. Private and public interests don't mix well in SF--it's too corrupt. So, we're kind of stuck. The good news is, we are stuck with a really charming, diverse, and interesting neighborhood in the Richmond. I'll take it over a mini-SOMA any day.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Exactly. The city has been so anti growth for so long that it will take time to correct the problem. Time to get started and maybe in 10 to 15 years housing would go down.

You remind me of the people who would say we shouldn't drill for more oil because it would take 5 years before prices would go down, of course they have been saying that for 20 years. Once we finally started drilling for more oil than the miracle happened, prices went down. Same thing would be true of housing on San Francisco.

It's not that simple, though. SF is different--economically, geographically, politically, etc.

I think you underestimate the appeal of San Francisco. About the only thing keeping the City in balance from a flood of newcomers is the high cost and scarcity of housing. Were we to build in numbers significant to reduce prices as you suggest, demand would certainly increase, not decrease. With that flood of people coming in would be burdens on our infrastructure that we couldn't sustain. And yes, the charm of SF would certainly be lost.

While that might eventually stem some of the new population explosion we had created, the damage would have already been done.

This isn't SimCity, no mater how simplistically people want to look at it.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:

Hmmm, I'm not anti-development (although I'm not anti-preservation, either).

I actually think we need a lot more high rises in SF, especially in the areas of the city that already have them. We should also not be building low rise structures around the ballpark. It's odd how we have things like One Rincon Hill, and then on the other side of 80 we have things like South Beach Marina Apartments (which honestly looks like it belongs in a suburb somewhere).

If we want to make the most of these dense areas of the city, we need to really focus high rise construction there. I'd rather see a lot of high rises in a concentrated area vs. a bunch of mid-rises all over town. We don't have to change the build of apartments/houses so much in the outer areas of SF, but we should focus development in certain areas of town.

I also think development outside of SF is very important, too. Transit hubs throughout the Bay Area should have highrise development, and will (oddly enough) go a long way towards preserving the low-rise neighborhoods (by taking pressure off of building where they are).

Basically, I'm in favor of smartly-planned dense development in SF and all over the Bay Area. And of course, we need infrastructure improvements to go along with that (which would probably lagged by at least a few decades).

Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Hmmm, I'm not anti-development (although I'm not anti-preservation, either).

I actually think we need a lot more high rises in SF, especially in the areas of the city that already have them. We should also not be building low rise structures around the ballpark. It's odd how we have things like One Rincon Hill, and then on the other side of 80 we have things like South Beach Marina Apartments (which honestly looks like it belongs in a suburb somewhere).

If we want to make the most of these dense areas of the city, we need to really focus high rise construction there. I'd rather see a lot of high rises in a concentrated area vs. a bunch of mid-rises all over town. We don't have to change the build of apartments/houses so much in the outer areas of SF, but we should focus development in certain areas of town.

I also think development outside of SF is very important, too. Transit hubs throughout the Bay Area should have highrise development, and will (oddly enough) go a long way towards preserving the low-rise neighborhoods (by taking pressure off of building where they are).

Basically, I'm in favor of smartly-planned dense development in SF and all over the Bay Area. And of course, we need infrastructure improvements to go along with that (which would probably lagged by at least a few decades).
100% agree.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It's not that simple, though. SF is different--economically, geographically, politically, etc.

I think you underestimate the appeal of San Francisco. About the only thing keeping the City in balance from a flood of newcomers is the high cost and scarcity of housing. Were we to build in numbers significant to reduce prices as you suggest, demand would certainly increase, not decrease. With that flood of people coming in would be burdens on our infrastructure that we couldn't sustain. And yes, the charm of SF would certainly be lost.

While that might eventually stem some of the new population explosion we had created, the damage would have already been done.

This isn't SimCity, no mater how simplistically people want to look at it.
Translation: if you are not affluent you are not wanted.

The policies of the city you hold so dear is destroying the culture you are trying to protect. It amazes me you cannot see that.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Translation: if you are not affluent you are not wanted.

The policies of the city you hold so dear is destroying the culture you are trying to protect. It amazes me you cannot see that.
I wasn't making a statement of advocacy, just an observation. It amazes me that you cannot see that.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post

Generally, California, more so than any other state, tries to stick it to newcomers - rent control, prop 13, etc - all of these are laws meant to benefit people who won the sperm lottery and were born here or people who happened to be here first.
Please realize that Prop 13 applies to all taxable real property in the state... matters not if it was bought today or 30 years ago...

Today's high price could be tomorrow's bargain.

I bought at the end of 2003 and during the Real Estate bust prices fell dramatically in the Bay Area city... a new family bought a very nice Bank owned property much bigger and newer than mine and paid 240k LESS.

So the new family that bought in 2011 is the one making out using the above logic and since I bought 8 years prior I get no break.

Prop 13 is based on value at the time of transfer... nothing more or less.

I was not old enough to vote when Prop 13 because law... that said, I am very grateful those that came before me made Prop 13 law...

Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 PM

540 posts, read 653,119 times
Quote:
I understand this, the problem is there is not enough land to build the necessary property to have prices come down. You'd need to literally build 100-200 Thousand new units to make some impact. Remembers Oakland's 10K project? Well it worked, Brown got more people to Oakland but prices went UP because of it.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
I understand this, the problem is there is not enough land to build the necessary property to have prices come down. You'd need to literally build 100-200 Thousand new units to make some impact. Remembers Oakland's 10K project? Well it worked, Brown got more people to Oakland but prices went UP because of it.
Right. That's what I said above, but that same poster misinterpreted it in his failed "translation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland