Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 13,939 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted into an accounting graduate program at Golden Gate University, San Jose State University, and University of Southern California. I plan on moving to either San Francisco, San Jose, or Los Angeles. I am originally from Connecticut. So I am planning to move to these locations for a career change and to get out of the Northeast. I was wondering what would you do if you were in my shoes. All of these programs I will have to pay out of my own pocket and I plan on living in California for 3-5 years. Also, i am currently single and having a hard time meeting women in suburban Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
USC accounting is top notch. I have never heard about the other two.
Can't be a serious question.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM

USC definitely has the best prestige from the schools I listed, but I am questioning the extra 70k of student debt that I am going to put myself through to get into USC. The degree is to help me get into the big 4 for tax, GGU's taxation program is well respected (this program is actually ranked higher than USC believe it or not), SJSU is also well recruited by the Big 4. So why would I pay more money to have an USC degree if my goal is to get into the Big 4.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
USC accounting is top notch. I have never heard about the other two.
Can't be a serious question.
... Yeah, but it's also rated one of the top schools for extremely high student debt. Something to seriously consider.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsone07 View Post
So why would I pay more money to have an USC degree if my goal is to get into the Big 4.
Tell us then, why would you?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM

To add more insight to my situation:
Cost + Living Expense
USC: 48K tuition + 20k Living Expense
GGU: 32K tuition + 5k living Expense
SJSU: 19k tuition + 20k living expense
Main reason why my living expense is cheaper at GGU is because my friend is letting me crash at his place for free and I do not need a car to live in San Francisco.

Total cost is something I am considering, career prospect is another category, and quality of living. All three programs will help met get into the big 4. What would you do?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Tell us then, why would you?
USC is an option because you can't beat the network, I was more responding to a comment that didn't really consider the value of the other two programs. I am wondering how is living in LA is different than living in SF or SJ. In reality, the starting salary are pretty similar, low 50's first year out of the program. From what I read, 7-10% annual raises are common for public accountants with major boosts with a CPA. Money isn't everything, where I am considering quality of life. That's why i am asking the question about all three locations.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsone07 View Post
USC is an option because you can't beat the network, I was more responding to a comment that didn't really consider the value of the other two programs. I am wondering how is living in LA is different than living in SF or SJ. In reality, the starting salary are pretty similar, low 50's first year out of the program. From what I read, 7-10% annual raises are common for public accountants with major boosts with a CPA. Money isn't everything, where I am considering quality of life. That's why i am asking the question about all three locations.
SJ would be my last choice.

I would pick LA over SF for USC vs. GGU.

You can find a good quality of life in LA easily.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 PM

386 posts, read 797,331 times
SJ State will have residency requirements as a state school and thus should be higher until residency is met. USC and Golden Gate are private so the fees should be accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Are you joking? USC is a top tier university while the others are one notch above community college. If you can get accepted into USC, why even spend 1 second considering the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland