Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 28,973 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in San Francisco downtown and I am looking for a mobile phone connection. I have been using Cingular (now ATT) since 2 years and have not had any problems yet. I found a good deal with T-Mobile with 1000 when ever minutes @ $40 per month. I am thinking of opting this offer.

Can somone who use T-Mobile say how the call quality and coverage is in the Bay Area? Else, which are the best service providers around here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:56 PM

36,639 posts, read 67,239,967 times
I hear T-Mobile is pretty good but I use ATT(used to be cingular) and am pretty satisfied I suppose.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,783,973 times
Don't do it... Cingular/At&T is very reliable and reasonably priced, whereas T-Mobile is famous for dropped calls around here! I did a trial-run with them a while back, and gave up even trying to call somebody near a hill - and seeing as we live in the Bay Area, it's pretty hard to avoid hills. I'd suggest you stick with Cingular, or you'll end up being frustrated & switching back at a high cost. If you must leave Cingular, consider Verizon first, though I hear bad things about their customer service.

They should pay me for this advertising, LOL.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,078,818 times
Verizon is the carrier of choice in the South Bay (the only carrier that reaches my parents' house in Morgan Hill!), whereas AT&T is superior in San Francisco and all the way down the peninsula, in my experience.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,210,083 times
You could check out MetroPCS, which has no contract, and is relatively cheap for what you get. The downside is spotty service, and it only works in the Greater Bay Area and a few other random parts of California (I've had it work in parts of the Central Valley and LA). You also have to pay full price for any new phone you get (first phone with signing up is half off).

The upside of course, is no contract, and if you don't pay you can do so at any time within the next month with no Penalty. For 60 bucks a month you also get unlimited minutes, texts, and internet. I have to say the service can be annoying at times, but in downtown SF there will be no problem at all. If you travel a lot though, forget it.

Otherwise I say stay with ATT, or check out Sprint.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM

254 posts, read 1,180,442 times
I've had Verizion, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile and I have just recently gone back to AT&T. In my experience, just from a service/dropped call perspective, AT&T and Verizon have the best coverage around here, although Verizon has really really crappy customer service. Well, they all do for the most part these days. Sprint is not nearly as bad as it was 5 years ago, but my friend who has them drops me enough that it's obviously still an issue. My husband just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T for work (I get his company rates, which is why I switch so often) and he gets better signal all over the Bay area.

My advice would be, if you have a good service, don't mess with it, kwim?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM

123 posts, read 866,048 times
This is a really good question. Any comments on ALLTEL?

Do people use it there? I'd like to take advantage of their mobile to mobile.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 AM

745 posts, read 2,202,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
This is a really good question. Any comments on ALLTEL?

Do people use it there? I'd like to take advantage of their mobile to mobile.
Very few people in the Bay area will have alltel. They don't have retail stores, own any phone numbers, or natively provide service to that part of San Francisco because they do not have an airwave license for that area from the FCC. So the only way for them to enter the market is with the buyout of another provider, and down the road it may make a lot of sense for Metro and Alltel to merge, though that's just my speculation. Existing alltel customers roam for free on Sprint and Verizon.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 28,973 times
How about metroPCS? Anyone using that? Does that have good coverage across bay area?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,992 times
Had Sprint, MetroPCS, Verizon and finally ATT, we changed service in this order as service degraded, so far ATT is still the best, service wise, equipment is lacking. LG CU575 phones rarely drops calls outside, does poor job inside and only during morning. Cheap Sony Ericsson W350a will hold in/out 24x7, even on hold over 1 hour inside after 4 PM with ATT trying to get our pricy LG phone replaced. Att needs to come out with a MILSPEC Rugged phone that can take a beating in the real work environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland