Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times

Advertisements

the Tenderloin adds lots of "Character" to the city, it's kind of retro and interesting, I enjoy the restaurants in the area and old school atmosphere

it's kind of like a city within a city, kind of cool actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM

13 posts, read 17,015 times
I walk through this area all the time and never had a problem. Just keep your head up and walk with a purpose. People will leave you alone. And don't make eye contact with homeless people. I work on Market/9th which is considered edge of tenderloin but I walk through Taylor st, etc often without problems.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
The Tenderloin is completely overrated in terms of danger. I've worked there, and as long as you're just going to work minding your own business, and you're not involved in dealing or prostitution, you'll be fine. It's definitely the slums, but you're not likely to be in real danger if you're just a 9-5er, ignore the beggars, and don't flash your valuables or money. And watch where you step, as a lot of people defecate or urinate in the streets.

The most dangerous part of SF is probably the Hunters Point area.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
You are being irresponsible for telling a young white female that it is fine to wander through the Tenderloin dressed in business attire. I know people who have been mugged in the Tenderloin. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, not even you.
You are being irresponsible in telling people that it's not. I used to work at one of the hotels in the area. I used to get off work between 10 to 11:30 every night and have to wait for the 38 Geary. It wasn't always pleasant but I'd NEVER been harassed by anyone ever (and I'm petite also).

If you don't look/act like a scared little princess from Indiana (whatever color your skin is ) but someone that's just getting to/from work, street savvy, don't look like a john/prostitute or like you're looking to buy drugs, then people will leave you alone. There are regular day to day folks walking about in this area---people going to to/from hotels, people standing in line for one of the theaters in the area (The Curran or ACT), people eating out, etc.

Just use common sense. Take necessary precautions. It's really that simple.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The Tenderloin is completely overrated in terms of danger. I've worked there, and as long as you're just going to work minding your own business, and you're not involved in dealing or prostitution, you'll be fine. It's definitely the slums, but you're not likely to be in real danger if you're just a 9-5er, ignore the beggars, and don't flash your valuables or money. And watch where you step, as a lot of people defecate or urinate in the streets.

The most dangerous part of SF is probably the Hunters Point area.
Just being around drug dealers and prostitutes is dangerous. You don't have to be a dealer to get hurt.
Disputes over territory lead to drive by killing innocents
Dealing is an illegal cash only business so robberies are common.you really can't deal drugs without being armed
Junkies and addicts engage in crime to support their habits

The tenderloin has a lot of disturbed people in the six months around this incident 5 innocent people were killed by psychotic people in the tenderloin
Man accused in boom-box killing unfit for trial, ordered to state hospital | Crime & Courts | San Francisco | San Francisco Examiner

Old 04-04-2015, 04:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Just being around drug dealers and prostitutes is dangerous. You don't have to be a dealer to get hurt.
Dealing is an illegal cash only business so robberies are common.you really can't deal drugs without being armed

The tenderloin has a lot of disturbed people in the six months around this incident 5 innocent people were killed by psychotic people in the tenderloin
Man accused in boom-box killing unfit for trial, ordered to state hospital | Crime & Courts | San Francisco | San Francisco Examiner
You have been there how many times? And been victimized how many of those times?

They may be homeless, they may be off kilter, but they're not animals. Fear is overrated.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:35 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

As I've mentioned before---I used to work a block away and got off LATE. NEVER had a problem.

The worst I would encounter were the weirdos on the bus that would stare at me in the nastiest way, try to rub against me, or try to get off at the same bus stop as myself and try to follow me home in the Avenues (when I could just tell that they didn't live there). I'd deliberately take the next stop to avoid the creeps. Believe it or not, most dangerous or scary encounters I've had have been in the "safer" areas.

From my experiences , the truly disturbed folk are the ones that blend in amongst us--not the ones that are obvious- all sequestered in one small area and obviously down and out/mentally ill/drug addicted. If you've ever been a young woman in the City, you'd know what I mean. I would be more concerned with quiet streets with little activity over a busy area where homeless/derelicts/drug addicts are just doin' their thing amongst themselves and the tourists.

I'm saying that it was fun and I never kept my wits about me. That's something you gotta do everywhere all the time. In fact, hanging near prostitutes can be safer than you'd think---their pimps are keeping very close watch to make sure of their safety. Creeps/homeless/mentally ill aren't generally walking up to them, but wealthy guys in beemers from the 'burbs pulling up.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Some people just need to live in a bomb shelter in the middle of nowhere, sheesh!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

From my experiences , the truly disturbed folk are the ones that...
...wear ties.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Any 10 year old living in an urban housing project understands that dealing drugs is a violent business and spending a lot of time in drug dealing area is not safe. There are disputes about territory and being robbed and killed for your product and cash Is always a danger. You can't go to the police and report you stolen heroin and illegally obtained cash and criminals know that

Drug dealing attracts addicts.they will rob and steal to keep hitting that pipe or stick a needle in their arm if they need to.they are addicts that is what they do

mentally disturbed drug addicts do not sit around singing kumbaya.add drug addiction to schizophrenia or bipolar disorders and bad things can happen.
S.F. pizzeria worker stabbed to death - SFGate
Muni stabbing case suspended pending psychiatric evaluation | null
Homeless man arrested after construction workers stabbed in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood | abc7news.com

I don't even understand thinking that drugs and addiction are not involved in the life of a street ho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland