Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 AM

124 posts, read 141,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You are being irresponsible in telling people that it's not. I used to work at one of the hotels in the area. I used to get off work between 10 to 11:30 every night and have to wait for the 38 Geary. It wasn't always pleasant but I'd NEVER been harassed by anyone ever (and I'm petite also).

If you don't look/act like a scared little princess from Indiana (whatever color your skin is ) but someone that's just getting to/from work, street savvy, don't look like a john/prostitute or like you're looking to buy drugs, then people will leave you alone. There are regular day to day folks walking about in this area---people going to to/from hotels, people standing in line for one of the theaters in the area (The Curran or ACT), people eating out, etc.

Just use common sense. Take necessary precautions. It's really that simple.

Perhaps you never got bothered because you blend in well with them.

Not everyone is scary looking, they look for the soft targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,965,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
Perhaps you never got bothered because you blend in well with them.

Not everyone is scary looking, they look for the soft targets.
---and who wouldn't be terrified of flat comfortable shoes, white button down shirt/tie and black pants and a white apron?

Yeah, I blended in so well and scared them all off with my "scary" Halloween waiter ensemble

Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
---and who wouldn't be terrified of flat comfortable shoes, white button down shirt/tie and black pants and a white apron?

Yeah, I blended in so well and scared them all off with my "scary" Halloween waiter ensemble

You wear an apron on your way to work?

You say I am irresponsible for alerting people to avoid a bad neighborhood if possible. I don't see it that way. It's always best to be safe than sorry. You cannot guarantee their safety, simple as that.

People will read all the opinions on this thread regarding this neighborhood and make their own decision. That's the great thing I find about this forum. We get all sorts of suggestions and opinions.

It's just my personal choice to avoid the area if I can.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:01 PM

176 posts, read 217,770 times
I think it would be fine if you worked there. It's a ****ty neighborhood, but if you are going there during business hours and you need to walk all of two blocks from the Muni stop to work, it would be fine.

I would not live there. I have some hipster friends who have lived there for cheap rent who are totally fine, and I know there is an attitude of "the tenderloin isn't so bad," but I personally would not do it. I also would avoid parking my car on most streets.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:29 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,965,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
You wear an apron on your way to work?

You say I am irresponsible for alerting people to avoid a bad neighborhood if possible. I don't see it that way. It's always best to be safe than sorry. You cannot guarantee their safety, simple as that.

People will read all the opinions on this thread regarding this neighborhood and make their own decision. That's the great thing I find about this forum. We get all sorts of suggestions and opinions.

It's just my personal choice to avoid the area if I can.
I believe I told you I was a waiter. Those aprons went around our waists. As you know, the tenderloin includes many hotels and restaurants and includes some popular theatres. It's a wonder how hundreds of restaurant and hotel workers manage getting to/from work and get home alive!

Telling someone to not bother with her "dream job" because it's not in the best 'hood seems overly cautious to me. Of course one should be cautious wherever you go. I did keep my waiters corkscrew opened as a precaution. Large swaths of Market St., Haight st/panhandle are inhabited by street people, but people work and shop there all the time w/o incident. I actually had a friend killed (shot) in Japantown and another mugged/ dragged on Fillmore in the middle of the day. cr** happens everywhere.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM

24,351 posts, read 26,808,433 times
If you are that scared of crime even though the odds of being hit by a car is far greater, you should not work or live ANYWHERE in the Bay Area

Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 14,444 times
I love how this has so many responses.
But my post doesn't have even one response.

I wish people would wake up and expose San Francisco for the racist traphole that it is.
The fake liberalism isn't fooling anyone anymore.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 14,444 times
I am glad this has been posted
maybe people will now understand from Nikki6 and justmeinca's comments that San Francisco is not the liberal tolerant haven it falsely advertises

Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I believe I told you I was a waiter. Those aprons went around our waists.

I can't recall reading your profession but I also did a stint as a waitress one summer. I remember carrying my apron in my backpack and putting it on after arriving at work. But hey, if you are the sort who wear it to/from work as well, then I understand.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:25 PM

24,351 posts, read 26,808,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblueshea View Post
I love how this has so many responses.
But my post doesn't have even one response.

I wish people would wake up and expose San Francisco for the racist traphole that it is.
The fake liberalism isn't fooling anyone anymore.
It's not that its fake liberalism, it's that extreme liberalism doesn't create a crime free utopia. That is reality. Extremism on any side is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland