Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM

540 posts, read 649,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, I'm white, so therefore I live an easier life than you. You are making a broad generalization without knowing the first thing about me. I would never make such an arrogant statement without really knowing you as a person.

Of course women are the largest beneficiaries. They make up 1/2 of the population. This doesn't make it any less discriminatory.
It's not about who's life is easier, it's about how society perceives you vs. me. An employer doesn't know you anymore than me or what you or I have been through, they just see a White face and that alone gives you a leg up. These are facts. Just like you have an advantage over a White Woman. It's odd how opponents of AA never had issues with Women benefiting from it only Black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,240,523 times
Whenever I get stressed out about my job security as a teacher, I read threads like this and remember why I'll always have a job. LOL

Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,241,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
It's not about who's life is easier, it's about how society perceives you vs. me. An employer doesn't know you anymore than me or what you or I have been through, they just see a White face and that alone gives you a leg up. These are facts. Just like you have an advantage over a White Woman. It's odd how opponents of AA never had issues with Women benefiting from it only Black people.
Society perceives you inferior to me? Who is society? We're all individuals. Such a broad generalization without any concrete data to prove that this is giving me a leg up on you.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:19 PM

540 posts, read 649,834 times
Quote:
Society perceives you inferior to me? Who is society? We're all individuals. Such a broad generalization without any concrete data to prove that this is giving me a leg up on you.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,520,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Don't you know College is taught by *******s and Hussein Obama supporting commies. College is for making whites feel guilty while practicing reverse racism! Whites are the real victims in America!
Funny guy! I'm Fillipino/Latino, gay and hold a Master's degree...but keep pretending and assuming

Old 04-06-2015, 04:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,520,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Middle class values are a form of privilege. Having privilege does not mean things are handed to you, and negates the work you do. But privilege gives you invisible advantages that people with less privilege do not have. The "invisible knapsack."
So, because my dad stuck around after he knocked my mom up and helped raise my siblings and I, we are somehow "privileged"???? Are you fricking kidding? Do you realize how stupid that sounds??? So, being normal and doing what normal people are supposed to do is "privilege"???

No! It's called my father was a real man who knew his responsibilities. He wasn't a child trapped in man's body who wanted to evade his responsibility so he could be a "player".

And, who put you in charge of deciding what "privilege" is? You think that because you're a liberal you have some self-ordained power to decide for the rest of us what "privilege" is?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
The point is that all to often, the gatekeepers to jobs, college admission, and other benefits don't see everyone as individuals. Studies have been done where it was found that job applicants with African-American-sounding names on their resumes weren't contacted for an interview for jobs for which they were qualified, while those with neutral-sounding names did get called.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 PM

781 posts, read 739,754 times
Quote:
In my experience, there is a lot of racism from Indians to whites as well.

100% agree, it wasn't as bad back in New York as it is here.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,240,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
So, because my dad stuck around after he knocked my mom up and helped raise my siblings and I, we are somehow "privileged"???? Are you fricking kidding? Do you realize how stupid that sounds??? So, being normal and doing what normal people are supposed to do is "privilege"???

No! It's called my father was a real man who knew his responsibilities. He wasn't a child trapped in man's body who wanted to evade his responsibility so he could be a "player".

And, who put you in charge of deciding what "privilege" is? You think that because you're a liberal you have some self-ordained power to decide for the rest of us what "privilege" is?
Nobody said Filipinos couldn't be racist, but this post is full of it, along with some pretty ridiculous assumptions.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:06 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,770,702 times
I believe it had been well documented that studies have been done showing that race does play a role in employment.this study from u of Chicago appears to have very good methodology .
Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas
From July 2001 to May 2002, Bertrand and Mullainathan sent fictitious resumes in response to 1,300 help-wanted ads listed in the Boston Globe and the Chicago Tribune. They used the callback rate for interviews to measure the success of each resume. Approximately 5,000 resumes were sent for positions in sales, administrative support, clerical services, and customer service. Jobs ranged from a cashier at a store to the manager of sales at a large firm.

The catch was that the authors manipulated the perception of race via the name of each applicant, with comparable credentials for each racial group. Each resume was randomly assigned either a very white-sounding name (Emily Walsh, Brendan Baker) or a very African-American-sounding name (Lakisha Washington, Jamal Jones).

The authors find that applicants with white-sounding names are 50 percent more likely to get called for an initial interview than applicants with African-American-sounding names. Applicants with white names need to send about 10 resumes to get one callback, whereas applicants with African-American names need to send about 15 resumes to achieve the same result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland