Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Diverse means MORE VARIETY. Whites get to be part of that mix.

If there are no whites or very few, and a city is predominantly Asian or predominantly black or predominantly non-white Hispanic, that city is not diverse. Duh.
That's very true often diversity is code word for non white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM

"Supervisor proposes closing Buchanan Field"

"Supervisor proposes closing Buchanan Field"

Supervisor has plan to annex Buchanan Field

Old 07-31-2015, 04:22 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
2003?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
2003?
True but it's still a possibility in the future. The combo of that an the Naval Yards could make Concord a major regional city. They need a major University, highdensity residential, open space, and a revitalized downtown.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:39 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Excuse me, but as a representative of the native-English-speaking white race (lily white as in towhead blonde, pale skin, Mayflower ancestors) I see bashing in recent years when jobs are heavily promoted to Spanish-speaking, Hmong-speaking, Vietnamese-speaking, Russian-speaking including SALARY INCREASES just for being able to speak these languages (yet other foreign language expertise just does not count) even in positions where these languages are not necessary (and I agree that they might temporarily be needed for new immigrants who utilize the social welfare and health departments).

I also see it in the purchases made by the libraries, who are strong-armed by the Asian Indian and Chinese communities in some communities (hello FREMONT, CUPERTINO, etc.) to buy more and more books and DVD's in their language(s). That does not just cut into purchases of English-speaking materials, but also into Spanish-language, French-language, German-language, Japanese-language, Italian-language, etc. materials. It especially makes no sense when it comes to Asian Indians or Hong Kong Chinese demands, since English is a major language in those places. They just WANT these materials. They don't NEED them to communicate. They can buy them if they want them, in my opinion. (I want to emphasize that I am a prime user of foreign-language materials and do want the cream of the crop movies from each country, as long as they include English subtitles for all of us to understand.) But every B-list Bollywood movie that comes out of India is just too much of my tax dollars (and I am a moderate Democrat, though you can't tell from this post.)

And shouldn't the ideal be that we all speak proper, grammatical English in order to understand each other and to get along better?

I also see (as a female) male-bashing in certain counties (hello MARIN), where they were able to grandfather in some preferential treatment for female candidates, something which other counties cannot do.

I would like to see each candidate stand on their own, merit only.

And don't get me started on AGE-BASHING, because that is the most prevalent of all.
My friend went through this... his father was stationed in Germany and married his German mom... he speaks German with perfection...

He has applied to two jobs where a bonus on test score and salary were offered for having just conversation level skill in a second language...

Both times he was denied... seems German is not considered a foreign language... yet just about everything else is... even sign language.

A Doctor I know is 5th generation South African so he put down African American on his med school application... caused a lot of problems... South Africa is the place where the first heart transplants occurred.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A Doctor I know is 5th generation South African so he put down African American on his med school application... caused a lot of problems... South Africa is the place where the first heart transplants occurred.
That's because in American culture, we most commonly separate ourselves by race (race is a social construct, not real, but that's how it is here). African American means "black-american" in an American context, and is not expected/intended to refer to everyone with an African nationality (or ancestry, in the case of those born here in the US). That's why it caused problems when your white (apparently) friend claimed he was African American (black), especially considering that schools often attempt to have diverse student bodies, and use the race data on applications to achieve that goal.

But sure, I guess it's really part of some grand anti-white conspiracy.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
That's because in American culture, we most commonly separate ourselves by race (race is a social construct, not real, but that's how it is here). African American means "black-american" in an American context, and is not expected/intended to refer to everyone with an African nationality (or ancestry, in the case of those born here in the US). That's why it caused problems when your white (apparently) friend claimed he was African American (black), especially considering that schools often attempt to have diverse student bodies, and use the race data on applications to achieve that goal.
Exactly... here is the kicker... another friend, also a Doctor was from Barcelona and put down Hispanic and no problem...

Last I checked... Spain was fully a part of Europe and had made many conquests in the new world...

It could be because just about everybody I know is from someplace... the Bay Area is like that.

Not to get too far off in the weeds... another person I know has a thick Irish Accent and is in the building trades... when he first came to America he almost caused a riot on a jobsite...

There were three people named Tom on job... the foreman named Tom and my friend who everyone called Irish Tom and a new engineer who Tom called Chinaman Tom...

He got called into the foreman's office so quick he thought he was getting his walking papers.. as he put it...

The foreman said he would be terminated if he ever called heard another racist word from him on the job.... Irish Tom had no idea what was going on... and said so and the foreman went on to explain... just because he was fine with everyone calling him Irishman Tom... didn't mean he could do so to others.

He learned how quickly one wrong word said without malice could cost a person their job...

Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Amazing how obsessed many bay area posters are about race.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM

It's something you grow up with in California... it has made the difference in everything from Civil Service to University Admissions... it's even a question when checking into a Hospital ER... was not always like this.

University of Santa Cruz was not an exception to the rule...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:47 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

But sure, I guess it's really part of some grand anti-white conspiracy.
George Carlin (the comedian) talked about how a racist white South African could emigrate to the US and call himself/herself an African American to **** off black people. Sometimes labels/names do have to be clarified and put in context, as you are doing very well here. Not implying the person in question is racist, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland