Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
It's all subjective. I know a lot of working class Latinos resent white hipsters gentrifying the Mission District. On the other hand many middle class whites were priced out of the places like Cupertino by wealthy Asian immigrants.
They weren't necessarily priced out per se...but the established white people left when their kids left home, just as the Asians took over and ruined it - basically making it undesirable for younger white families to enter or for young white people to stay and establish their own adult lives there - because there isn't any point. Now Cupertino is basically the least diverse place in the entire Bay Area - just look at the schools. If any other district had 99% Asian enrollment, it would be front page news. Al Sharpton would be on scene with Jesse and the Rainbow Coalition, trying to shake someone down. There's gotta be SOME money in that, right? Where are all the blacks? The Mexicans? It's raciss, I tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:30 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,457,822 times
I remember the LA Times ranked LAs communities on most to least diverse with both Pacific Palisades and East LA being the least diverse. Diversity is often used to describe any where that's majority non white but a place that's 90% Asian like Cupertino or Monterrey Park in Southern CA or 90% Mexican isn't diverse. I think Oakland has about an even number of whites blacks Hispanics and Asians so it is a very diverse area.

As for the Outer East Bay the data confirmed what I originally thought. Northern Park mostly Hispanic, Central Part White, and Southern part becoming more Asian.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM

822 posts, read 1,283,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They weren't necessarily priced out per se...but the established white people left when their kids left home, just as the Asians took over and ruined it - basically making it undesirable for younger white families to enter or for young white people to stay and establish their own adult lives there - because there isn't any point. Now Cupertino is basically the least diverse place in the entire Bay Area - just look at the schools. If any other district had 99% Asian enrollment, it would be front page news. Al Sharpton would be on scene with Jesse and the Rainbow Coalition, trying to shake someone down. There's gotta be SOME money in that, right? Where are all the blacks? The Mexicans? It's raciss, I tell you!
IF you think its ruined and there is no point then stay away. Your parents cashed out so they monetized. The Asians don't want you or your kids there either. The feeling is mutual (emphasized) with that attitude of entitlement. Go find an all white area in Montana where you can live in harmony with your peers.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
IF you think its ruined and there is no point then stay away. Your parents cashed out so they monetized. The Asians don't want you or your kids there either. The feeling is mutual (emphasized) with that attitude of entitlement. Go find an all white area in Montana where you can live in harmony with your peers.

A little diversity can be a good thing but a place like Cupertino is now 90% Asian mostly Chinese. The houses there are vastly overpriced with one story shacks going for over 1 million.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 PM

474 posts, read 529,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
A little diversity can be a good thing but a place like Cupertino is now 90% Asian mostly Chinese. The houses there are vastly overpriced with one story shacks going for over 1 million.
Cupertino is 65% Asian.
I do find it interesting, though, that the wikipedia page for the city has its name in both English and Chinese.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:52 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Demographics change... I've seen it in Oakland neighborhoods and in Cupertino... just a fact of life.

One Oakland neighborhood I've followed was still almost all White as late as 1980... most in their homes 40+ years... then it was for a very short time African American buyers and in the 90's every sold home was bought by Asian buyers... then it was Spanish Speaking up until the crash around 2008.

Since the crash, just about every home sold has been to White or mixed race families...

All this happened in 30+ years...

What I have also seen is children of nice suburbia... Pleasanton, Danville, etc... have flocked to SF, Berkeley and Oakland... much to the shock of their parents who "Escaped" these very same cities of their youth...

My friends had a house warming in Pleasant Hill... it's the kind of neighborhood where many add on rather than move... Just about all of their older neighbors had lived in Oakland at one time... most leaving in the late 60's and 70's...

Another friend still can't get over her parents wanted no part of Grandma's Rockridge Oakland home when she passed in the 1980's... he parents dumped it as soon as possible... recently, that grand house sold for 1.3m and back then it was just an old house in "Oakland"

Old 05-02-2015, 01:48 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,276,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
What I have also seen is children of nice suburbia... Pleasanton, Danville, etc... have flocked to SF, Berkeley and Oakland... much to the shock of their parents who "Escaped" these very same cities of their youth...
Well, SF is really the place to be if you're a young, single professional. When it comes time to raise a family, not so much.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 PM

A huge part of Oakland's resurgence is SF expats looking for room and a lower cost...

Parts of Oakland are actually closer to the SF financial district than parts of SF..

My last two new tenants were priced out of SF and they have young kids.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Demographics change... I've seen it in Oakland neighborhoods and in Cupertino... just a fact of life.

One Oakland neighborhood I've followed was still almost all White as late as 1980... most in their homes 40+ years... then it was for a very short time African American buyers and in the 90's every sold home was bought by Asian buyers... then it was Spanish Speaking up until the crash around 2008.

Since the crash, just about every home sold has been to White or mixed race families...

All this happened in 30+ years...

My friends had a house warming in Pleasant Hill... it's the kind of neighborhood where many add on rather than move... Just about all of their older neighbors had lived in Oakland at one time... most leaving in the late 60's and 70's...

Another friend still can't get over her parents wanted no part of Grandma's Rockridge Oakland home when she passed in the 1980's... he parents dumped it as soon as possible... recently, that grand house sold for 1.3m and back then it was just an old house in "Oakland"
That's interesting. There's a trend where suburban whites are moving back to urban areas while suburbs are becoming more diverse. I looked up census statistics in the NY York Times.

It shows the white population growing in Oakland and Berkeley. Dublin and Pleasonton rapidly becoming more Asian, while Walnut Creek Danville and Lamorinda still remain mostly white but with a slight decline and a more modest increase in the Asian population.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 PM

It seems everything comes full circle if given enough time...

The big issue is now gentrification... it is a hot button topic.

For years it was how to rebuild the housing stock... now it is getting rebuilt... just with the private sector for the most part.

My second home purchase was in an area that was primarily African American home owners... most homes were built during the post WWII building boom... many had bought in the 60's.

They were not forced to move... they saw a real opportunity to cash out... both of my immediate neighbors sold and moved back to where they were born... one Alabama and the other Louisianan... they had enough money to buy brick homes with a little land and still bank the rest...

For most areas... the Demographics continue to change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland