Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
If we had demographic stability then we could just focus on ecology and economics. The thing is Whites are vastly under represented among people moving to California but over represented among people leaving. I am not even implying that there is a conspiracy but that the quality of life is not high enough to keep and attract those people.
Well, you're talking to the wrong person about this. I don't GAF about whether more White people move to California or not. It seems to be an obsession of yours.

As long as there are people who come to this state who can contribute positively to social and economic development, it doesn't matter what ethnicity they are. You don't need to sprain your wrist patting yourself on the back here - you're not special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 03:10 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,413,107 times
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayareah...w-13834033.php

Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,545,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You also see this in the diversity initiatives with Silicon Valley companies, in how they are discriminatory towards white males while propping up women and minorities. Why not hire/promote based on merit only and let the cards fall where they may?
At the individual hire level and individual promotion level, meritocracy makes tremendous sense.

At the company level, it can result in litigation initiated by the EEOC and by individuals who believe they have been harmed.

When a major corporation looks at the demographics of its entire employee population, it also looks at the demographics of the surrounding population from which it draws employees. When they are statistically significantly different, that corporation is at a major risk of being drawn into court. (Ditto for job classification).

Let's say that happens - the EEOC draws the corporation into court.

Someone might naively say, "well, we have not discriminated on the base of any protected class such as race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual preference, veteran status, etc. -- so we're OK. We can prove every single hire and every single promotion is based on merit alone."

The above may well be true. In fact the EEOC might say in court "we believe you."

And you will still lose the case, because showing that every single hire and promotion is based on merit is not a defense.

All the EEOC needs to do is show the major corporation's demographics of its local employee population is statistically significantly different from the demographics of the surrounding population from which it draws employees.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:36 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,545,667 times
Let me offer the following real-world example. I was present for the following interchange. It happened.

A major semiconductor company was in a cyclical downturn and had implemented an across-the-board hiring freeze. No one could hire anyone without the explicit approval of the VP of HR. Of course, many hiring managers at all levels of the company sought exceptions for their critical projects. In fact, the company's Legal Department was no exception. An SEC attorney in the Legal Department quit, and his manager (a VP of Legal and the Corporate Secretary) sought approval to hire someone.

SVP of HR: "Sorry, we have an across-the-board hiring freeze."
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has authorized me to hire a replacement."
SVP of HR: "As you already know, we have an across-the-board hiring freeze."
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has directed me to hire a replacement. This is important to keep the corporation in compliance with all Securities and Exchange related laws, regulations, and filings."
SVP of HR: "What part of 'we have an across-the-board hiring freeze' don't you understand?"
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has DIRECTED me to hire a replacement. This is important to keep the corporation in compliance with all Securities and Exchange related laws, regulations, and filings. This is clearly an exception to the hiring freeze. I need you to sign off on it."

SVP of HR: "We have an across-the-board hiring freeze. The ONLY exception is if the candidate is a woman or a member of a protected class where the corporation has a deficit such as a person-of-color."

VP of Legal: "What do you want me to do, put an ad in the Mercury News saying, 'No White Males need apply?' "

SVP of HR: "Don't be silly. You know that's against the law."

VP of Legal: "The reality is I've identified two candidates that work at other companies who would be ideal. They're both white males. There just are not many Black, Female, Transgender, Gay, Veteran SEC attorneys with appropriate skills and experience to do the job. "

SVP of HR: "We have an across-the-board hiring freeze. The ONLY exception is if the candidate is a woman or a member of a protected class where the corporation has a deficit such as a person-of-color."

This went around and around like a broken record.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:45 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,765,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Statistics on an aggregate do not justify discrimination on the individual. The old boy network hasn’t benefited me in my career. How about just judging people on merit without any regards to race? Again, two wrongs don’t make a right. Anyone who argues otherwise is just trying to get a leg up unfairly. No different than Elizabeth Warren claiming 1/64 Native American to get into college or Lori Laughlin faking a credentials for her daughter to get into USC. SMH
in aggregate people don't hire based on merit they hire family ,friends ,same prep school,fraternity brothers ,people who grew up where they did,went to their university, Their father is in the same country club etc.
Valentina The hard working woman from the barrio may be just as qualified but realistically not as welcome in the corporate world as Chad who lives in the neighborhood and was in the same fraternity.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:20 PM

8,454 posts, read 3,705,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Let me offer the following real-world example. I was present for the following interchange. It happened.

A major semiconductor company was in a cyclical downturn and had implemented an across-the-board hiring freeze. No one could hire anyone without the explicit approval of the VP of HR. Of course, many hiring managers at all levels of the company sought exceptions for their critical projects. In fact, the company's Legal Department was no exception. An SEC attorney in the Legal Department quit, and his manager (a VP of Legal and the Corporate Secretary) sought approval to hire someone.

SVP of HR: "Sorry, we have an across-the-board hiring freeze."
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has authorized me to hire a replacement."
SVP of HR: "As you already know, we have an across-the-board hiring freeze."
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has directed me to hire a replacement. This is important to keep the corporation in compliance with all Securities and Exchange related laws, regulations, and filings."
SVP of HR: "What part of 'we have an across-the-board hiring freeze' don't you understand?"
VP of Legal "Our Board of Directors has DIRECTED me to hire a replacement. This is important to keep the corporation in compliance with all Securities and Exchange related laws, regulations, and filings. This is clearly an exception to the hiring freeze. I need you to sign off on it."

VP of Legal: "What do you want me to do, put an ad in the Mercury News saying, 'No White Males need apply?' "

SVP of HR: "Don't be silly. You know that's against the law."

VP of Legal: "The reality is I've identified two candidates that work at other companies who would be ideal. They're both white males. There just are not many Black, Female, Transgender, Gay, Veteran SEC attorneys with appropriate skills and experience to do the job. "

This went around and around like a broken record.
What’s your position that this alleged conversation took place in front of you?

Old 05-20-2019, 05:53 PM

63 posts, read 53,772 times
A picture is worth a thousand words

Community feedback for the proposed new high school in East Dublin.
https://www.dublin.k12.ca.us/cms/lib...19-05-08-a.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Demographics and changes in the outer East Bay-sports.jpg  

Old 05-26-2019, 11:55 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
in aggregate people don't hire based on merit they hire family ,friends ,same prep school,fraternity brothers ,people who grew up where they did,went to their university, Their father is in the same country club etc.
Valentina The hard working woman from the barrio may be just as qualified but realistically not as welcome in the corporate world as Chad who lives in the neighborhood and was in the same fraternity.
Maybe hospital employment is different?

The pool of RN's covers just about every background possible... from first in family to have a degree, young, old, LGBT, male, female and 17 languages... although white male is grossly under represented...

Physicians also cast a wide net... at least half are foreign born/first generation... about equal men/women

Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 AM

8,454 posts, read 3,705,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
A large percentage of companies outsource the hiring process globally in today’s corporate world (and is one reason why demographics are changing nation-wide). Chad is going nowhere if all he has going for him is the same neighborhood or fraternity.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:22 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,413,107 times
Asians are now largest group in these two Bay Area counties, new data shows:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...ata-shows/amp/

"Despite the Bay Area’s diversity, few neighborhoods and cities match the region’s population distribution, according to the analysis by the Haas Institute. Walnut Creek, Lafayette and Atherton, for example, have larger white populations that the regional as a whole, the report noted. Fremont and Union City, meanwhile, have larger Asian populations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland