Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've had this on my mind for a long time, but my feelings have grown really strong about needing to get out of here and move to the West Coast from Pittsburgh, PA. I think about it all day long anymore. I've spent some time in various parts of California (SoCal, NorCal), and enjoyed each place equally despite the differences. I have some family in San Francisco, so that is why I decided to post in here. I just can't figure out if I should do it considering what I have going on in my life now. I just don't want to regret not doing it later on... This is a little about me.

I'm a 28 year old, single male from Pittsburgh, PA. I have a house, just North of the city, with about $34k left to pay on it. The value of my house is just below $200k, with my monthly payments around $375. I put a lot of work into my house (owned for 5 years), it is in a private area, with quick access to just about everything. Hospitals, the city, shopping, etc. Nothing is really within walking distance though. My parents moved in with me around two years ago, because my father became really ill. He had two heart attacks, triple bypass, then had a few bouts of pancreatitis and eventually had to have his gall bladder removed a few weeks ago. I've been supporting them financially through this period of time. Now, for the first time in a few years he seems fairly normal, and so my folks are planning on moving into a new place soon.

I studied as an audio engineer for a while, took classes at a local community college (8 classes left for an associates degree in software development - which I totally lost interest in). Despite that, I found myself working in a local meat shop in the city with an awesome crew of 5 guys that I get along with just fine. I make just around $30k a year, with perhaps someday the potential to make more money and invest in the business itself as the owner ages. Really the only thing that sucks is having to get up at 4:30 and going to bed early, but I'm definitely a morning person so it's no big deal. I'm 6'4, strong, and I have a wide variety of work experience. I'm a hard worker.

There are a few issues that make me really dislike living here. I completely despise the winter, freezing cold, snowy, slushy roads, gray skies every day, etc. The cold gets really bad, especially having to wake up so early and go out in. I love the sun, I love the heat, I love wearing shorts. I realize San Francisco can get chilly, that's not the cold or chillness that I'm talking about. I really dig outdoor activities, and it is important to me to be as active as possible and to spend as much time outside as I can. Not being able to do that for months is killing me. It really feels like it is sometimes. I've tried getting exercise equipment for indoor exercise, but it just doesn't cut it. Another thing that makes me feel like I need a big change is the fact that I need to meet different people. I'm single, and I feel like everything is so stale around here anymore. I think a big change would be refreshing, and maybe I could meet somebody new.

My biggest hold backs are my folks, and their health. They're getting into their 60s, they won't fly. They won't move, but there is a chance I might be able to convince them. I'd hate to be across the country if one of them became really sick knowing my father's history, especially. Another hold back, is the fact that I'm not rich and I only make so much. Even with any profit I'd have from selling my house here, I wouldn't have enough to buy a house obviously. So I'd have to live in an apartment somewhere which poses somewhat of another issue. I've been playing and recording music for so long, I have drums, and all sorts of guitars and gear that's big and bulky, or may not be very viable for apartment living. I could definitely see myself making some compromises to find a new life. I'd hate to leave my job now, because I'm not sure what kind of opportunities I'd be able to find. I don't know if this is the best thing I'll ever find considering what it might turn out to be someday, or if I look back on it in 20 years and I'm still in the same house, single, making little money, but generally living a "safe" life. I'm perhaps worried that would it be worth it to give up this decent house, and most-likely never own one again. I can't tell if I'm too old to make any changes. For some reason it seems like a nightmare of spending the rest of my life in this house, doing the same job here on out with nothing else. Seems terribly boring and like something I'd regret. I don't know what to think!

All I know is that I have this "hankering" inside to make a big change, and do something different. I feel like I need somewhere warmer, somewhere beautiful, somewhere interesting, somewhere refreshing. Somewhere with great food, culture. Somewhere exciting. I would like to maybe become a fisherman, or maybe be a meat/fish cutter somewhere. Maybe on some pier somewhere, anywhere warmer than here. I love SF, San Jose, Sacramento. I love LA, San Diego.

Sorry that this was so much, I just had to get it off my chest and see what someone else would think. Not sure if this was the right place.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
"So I'd have to live in an apartment somewhere which poses somewhat of another issue."

Do you think? How is it going to feel to go from living in your house (that you practically own outright) with privacy to sharing a tiny apartment with strange, transient strangers and pissing your hard earned paycheck away on rent? Look, San Francisco is an AWESOME city, no argument there, but I would imagine it would be a real struggle for someone who is a working class meat cutter. I actually live in Pittsburgh now. One thing I noticed is that the natives (who never lived anywhere else) always complain about certain things here. The transplants from the coasts, on the other hand, seem to love it and can't believe what they get for their dollar in terms of amenities, housing, and the outdoors. Guess grass is always greener. Pittsburgh, unlike SF/NYC/Seattle/DC, is a true middle class city that caters to the working class. Just now what you are going to have to give up before making any rash decisions. If you are looking for adventure, sign up for a tour of duty for a few months on an Alaskan fishing boat. That way, when your sense of adventure is shaken out of your system, you can come back home to the security of your house that you own outright.

Last edited by ny789987; 04-12-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-12-2015, 12:17 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
it sounds like your parents are a big factor- and moving right now may not be the best choice. Also, SF bay area housing is EXPENSIVE. I'm moving shortly and will be paying somewhere around 2,700-3000 for a place on the peninsula. But i'll also be making six figures; with a working spouse. the Bay area is a great place- very eclectic, lots of things to do, outdoors galore available- but expensive. Please take a look at some jobs and see what you would be possibly making. Also, the Bay Area is not known for its warmth. I grew up in Northern California and would go to SF in july, when were i lived would be 90-100 degrees, and it was cold there! You have to be ok with that. If you want sunny all year round- look at SoCal. I love CA- it's a great place to live, but make sure it's the right move for you. Have you visited or spent much time in the area?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:19 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Kinda funny -- I've been here for 30+ years and I'm considering moving back to Pittsburgh.

Housing is expensive. I live in a "bad" area of Oakland and a house down the street from me -- tiny thing -- is for sale for 350K.... and let's talk taxes. People talk about how bad Allegheny taxes are? Yeah -- ours are worse, unless you have been an owner forever. My taxes? Cheap like 2400 a year. You buy that house down the street? Yours -- 7500...

And rents? My house-- teeny tiny little house in a bad part of Oakland -- 1800 a month. San Francisco is WILDLY expensive rent wise. You will end with multiple roommates. Food is comparably expensive. Utilities are higher here -- water is high here. Sales tax -- 9-10%.

And we have a lot of grey days... well -- did back when there was this thing called RAIN. Summers a chilly grey mornings and it burns off by mid day --hopefully.... but you won't ever want to sit on your balcony and enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day... unless you have quilts to wrap up in.

And when you live here, you have to deal with very urban things.... like car alarms, and the people across the street that have their home stereo on their front porch and to listen to it in their house it has to be blaring outside. With a kid that likes to play along... banging on the tin garbage can NOT in rhythm.... the little motorbike that loudly zips up and down the road.... and up and down and up an down and up and down.... it's been one of those days....

Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM

10 posts, read 8,960 times
Seriously. Just do it...you won't regret it. You seem A LOT more cultured than I was when I left Pittsburgh...I just didn't realize how much.

Lived in PGH from birth till age 29. Moved to an island in Washington, but we ventured further south to Portland...and we live in one of the crappiest areas of PDX. The good thing is we're in a month to month lease, but we will be paying much higher rent. We considered moving back to Pittsburgh before we pondered with the idea of moving to PDX but when we looked rent was about 800-1000 there, we're paying $850 for a 2BR apartment here in east Portland. Way better, and although our rent is going to be jacked up when we move closer to my husbands work (on the west side in Hillsboro) soon paying about $1000, he can walk to work. We feel way more comfortable. Honestly? I'd take the chance and just move to the bay area. A few roomies, you'll be okay. Just get connected with other professionals. Don't get stuck in Pittsburgh. There is so much more to life than SWPA.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Nobody has seemed to chime in on the issue he spoke of most - his parents and their health.

If you're an only child and are leaving town after they moved in with you, I personally couldn't get on board with that. My parents are going through the unhealthy parts of their lives in their 70's as well, but I have siblings in town with them. They wanted me to move wherever I wanted if it would help improve my quality of life - so my wife and I moved out here, but not without some guilt. I try to go back at least once every 3 months for a week or so (working remotely from their house) so that I can get some time with them. They're not in direly poor health, but my mom just had 2 knee replacements and father has been in a wheelchair for 8 years and the VA has taken 6 months to get him dentures, which has turned out to be a good thing - he lost 80 lbs which he sorely needed to do, but it's still not a pleasant way to do it.

You're 11 years younger than I am - you've got plenty of time to chase your dreams, but not much time left with your parents.

If you're a musician and living off of what is considered a low income for PA, there's really little shot you'd make it here and have the quality of life you want. The winter sucks there as well, but I feel Chicago would be a much better fit for you, and you'd be in a really cool city (I would live there if it weren't for the weather), and I'm a guitarist myself (on the side). It'd be a lot closer to your parents as well, should they refuse to leave PA. It is much more affordable. My friend who I was in a band with back in the day has a house in the south suburb of Chicago called Homewood that he bought for $99k and he supports him, his wife and 2 kids on his salary doing A/V installs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland