Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:59 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Uh...everywhere.

If you go around opining that "traditional" marriage is some sort of thing that needs to be announced or some mantra that needs to be expressed in order to make yourself stand out from everybody else in the Bay Area , then please, stay where you are. Also, You express your love for Jaysus in church and by being open to all humans of all colors, persuasions, and religions--you know, live like Jaysus.
Did his question offend you? He asked a simple question. No need to rile things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Who is Jaysus? Are you mocking us for no reason? That's kind of the hostility that I was referring to in my op and makes me wonder how tolerant the bay area is to conservative Christians.
Welcome to the internet. Where many take advantage of the anonymity factor to be mean-spirited, abrasive, and simply a-hole-ish.

But many online are not that way. But bad apples are always a part of every bunch.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear11 View Post
OP hasn't even arrived in the bay area, and i loathe her already.

not for her religious beliefs, but rather her over-defensiveness, overbearing presumptuousness, and ideological insecurities.
Lol. Straw man.

The Op asked a simple, basic question, yet many pounced on her with offensive remarks and disrespect. She didn't disresprct anyone. She asked a basic question. If you or the other members of the SF Welcome Committee took offense -- that's not her fault or problem. You and the rest of the gang either read too much into her original post, or made assumptions about who or what she is and how she thinks.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Oh noes! A Christian is being PERSECUTED for her beliefs!!1
And people are acting like a-holes online, and in Oakland, not a shock!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Personal freedom and liberty belongs to ALL Americans. Or is that only reserved for people that think the same as you? If your religion overrides or chides someone else's pursuit of personal happiness and fulfillment, then yes, imo, that's bigoted.

Fortunately, we Bay Areans, have that "mostly" figured out around these parts---it's what we're known all around the world for; forward thinking and social progress- live and let live.

If that doesn't mesh with your religious indoctrination, then you will feel out of place here. I suspect that you're not actually looking to move here though since you never mentioned anything about job prospects, salary range, schools, weather,commute options, etc. Those are normally the kinds of questions that legitimately interested folk ask first. Otherwise, you come off as merely a troll.
You come across as being extremely bitter and angry though. Why? You act like the OP just ran over your cat and tossed your personal toy into the bay!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Why on earth are people surprised or offended when others call them out on their bigotry? Mind boggling.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:52 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
The idea that there is a city anywhere in the Bay Area or the rest of the world that is not "straight friendly" is beyond absurd. I don't even know what "straight friendly" means.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
The idea that there is a city anywhere in the Bay Area or the rest of the world that is not "straight friendly" is beyond absurd. I don't even know what "straight friendly" means.
Agreed...I don't even understand this statement.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:31 PM

308 posts, read 467,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This is a spin on the "Gay friendly" threads that we always see. I have heard that there can be some open heterophobic hostility to openly straight, and more specifically Christian Conservatives in the bay area. Is this true, or just a rumor? Where in the bay area would a family who believed in traditional marriage be accepted? Thanks
I'm with you and welcome the spin on all those "Gay Friendly" threads that we *always* see. The Bay Area is not a friendly place for 'Christian Conservatives'. Most people here will be very heterophobicly hostile towards us righteous ones who believe that gods definition of marriage is only for heterosexuals. And a christian family to boot, we fare far worse. Even the heteros will persecute us! It makes no sense. I'm deeply worried that the crazy voters here will ban religion altogether because freedom of speech only seems to apply to them.

But, I do know a handful of places where a family who believes in traditional marriage can still be accepted in the Bay Area:
SF: 37th Ave between Pacheco and Quintara, but stay away from #2101 37th Ave!
SF: Taraval & 40th, Divisadero & Pine areas
Walnut Creek: far southwestern section of the city limits
Livermore: while not the majority, it seems to be fairly conservatively open minded. Mind you we are still the minority, but my experiences show that I don't get harassed too much by the gay gestapo.
Los Gatos: near Blossom Hill Road, but I hear it's changing quick there

Glad I could help! Good luck on your quest, may you find your special 'traditional marriage acceptance community' and peace be with you.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
I'm with you and welcome the spin on all those "Gay Friendly" threads that we *always* see. The Bay Area is not a friendly place for 'Christian Conservatives'. Most people here will be very heterophobicly hostile towards us righteous ones who believe that gods definition of marriage is only for heterosexuals. And a christian family to boot, we fare far worse. Even the heteros will persecute us! It makes no sense. I'm deeply worried that the crazy voters here will ban religion altogether because freedom of speech only seems to apply to them.

But, I do know a handful of places where a family who believes in traditional marriage can still be accepted in the Bay Area:
SF: 37th Ave between Pacheco and Quintara, but stay away from #2101 37th Ave!
SF: Taraval & 40th, Divisadero & Pine areas
Walnut Creek: far southwestern section of the city limits
Livermore: while not the majority, it seems to be fairly conservatively open minded. Mind you we are still the minority, but my experiences show that I don't get harassed too much by the gay gestapo.
Los Gatos: near Blossom Hill Road, but I hear it's changing quick there

Glad I could help! Good luck on your quest, may you find your special 'traditional marriage acceptance community' and peace be with you.
"Heterophobicly" hostile? What does that even mean?

No one will care that you are heterosexual. Seriously. Are you actually suggesting you would get persecuted in SF or the Bay Area for being straight? You do know the overwhelming vast majority (I don't have the number on that, but I can't imagine it is not >90%) of people in the Bay Area are straight, right?

This statement makes absolutely no sense.

Also no one cares if you're christian (or atheist, or anything else in between, for that matter). I don't understand why that kind of thing would even come up in real life, especially with complete strangers on the street. Unless you wear a sign on your back that says "Christian here!!"...it's not going to come up, and it won't be a problem.

And even there, there area lot of Christians in the Bay Area.

I don't really understand this persecution complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland