Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

We currently live in San Jose, but are looking to relocate up the Peninsula to be closer to a new work opportunity. However, the hardest part is figuring out which schools might work best for my middle schooler. She has some learning issues - nothing that has ever qualified her for special ed in our district, though. She does need a bit more individual attention and support, and in her current elementary school I often feel like I have to teach her at home, since she didn't pick up on the lesson in the classroom. I don't want her to feel like a failure, and I'm afraid the schools north of us may be extremely competitive and intimidating...and may not offer the support she needs.

I would like to move to an area where the public school is at least an option. Of course I know that any public schools will have big classes...I am just wondering if there are any that might at least support her better than others, and this includes not crushing her spirit.

Right now she is set to start at a small private school in San Jose next year. It seems like the perfect solution, except that the commute for my husband would be intolerable. I have so far not found any similar choices further north. It seems like everything up there is either highly competitive (need to pass a test to get in, etc) or specifically for special needs kids. She is somewhere in the middle. So I'm looking for suggestions both for Public and Private options.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: