Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 6,512 times

Advertisements

I was recently informed that I was selected for a 6 month internship starting in late May/early June in SSF. Living in Michigan, I'm trying to find a furnished place as quickly as possible. Although I've not received a formal job offer yet, I presume my price range is between $1000 and $1500 per month. As such, I'm having a difficult time finding the proper balance between neighborhood quality (safety) and price.

I've been considering booking a single room apartment on 16th an Albion in the mission district, but quickly realized this might not be a great option. As a early 20's guy familiar with Detroit and Lansing, I'm sure it would be bearable, but I'd rather find a more pleasant part of the city.

If anyone could provide feedback regarding the location on 16th and Albion, as well as helping me find alternative housing solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM

222 posts, read 382,661 times
I am a middle-aged suburbanite who knows next to nothing about the SRO world, but I searched up this thread from last year for you because it was so educational for me. I'd really suggest a furnished room in someone's home, or you may be able to get a studio or in-law a little farther out of town (SSF, Daly City?) I'm sure other people can chime in with much better info.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...etter-sro.html

Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd8 View Post
If anyone could provide feedback regarding the location on 16th and Albion, as well as helping me find alternative housing solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

16th and Albion is a nice area now. You might have been working off of decade old information.

You can try the hostel in SF, here's one:

Hostelling International - Fishermans Wharf - Hostels - San Francisco, CA - Yelp

Or look for "sublet/temporary" under Craigslist.org.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
I am very familiar with the area. I own rental property on Albion (near 16th). LOL, I hope my tenants aren’t renting rooms. Anyhow, the area is fine, there are restaurants on 16th right around the corner (and lots of restaurants in the area). The area has lots of tec people and long term renters (who have been living in the area a long time under rent control). Lots of places for young persons to go to on Valencia and Mission (music, nightlife, restaurants). Bart at 16th is sketchy, but there are lots of people around during normal commute hours. My 20-year old daughter would love to live there and I'd be comfortable with her in that area.

Your post says your internship is in SSF. You want to live in SF and commute to South San Francisco? (you do know SSF and SF are two separate cities?)

Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM

I'm glad to hear that 16th and Albion is a nicer area than I had imagined. I was concerned about the area due to threads like these:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-district.html

which seem to paint the picture that I would be stepping over a maze of crackheads on my 1 mile walk to World Gym. Any input on the validity of the thread I posted? It's from 2010, but a lot can change in 5 years I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Your post says your internship is in SSF. You want to live in SF and commute to South San Francisco? (you do know SSF and SF are two separate cities?)
I do know SSF and SF are separate cities. I'll be working at Genentech, and they have a company-ran commute system between SF and SSF. Thanks for your concern though!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
^ The Mission is a large area and overall is safe (but like all cities, and all parts of the city there is crime). East of Mission, as posters have stated in the link you attached, has been pretty sketchy around Shotwell and Capp and I’ve avoided that area for years. There has been a lot of change in the Mission in the past few years and I really can’t say how much that particular area has changed. Perhaps someone else will be able to give a current assessment of that particular area. The other areas west of Mission are safe.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:48 PM

19 posts, read 26,584 times
I work not far from there. It's okay, the main issues are car break ins (I presume you won't have a car), and anything near the 16th & Mission bart has a lot of transient foot traffic. I have not had any issues, other than dealing with the general grime.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that 16th and Albion is a nicer area than I had imagined. I was concerned about the area due to threads like these:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-district.html

which seem to paint the picture that I would be stepping over a maze of crackheads on my 1 mile walk to World Gym. Any input on the validity of the thread I posted? It's from 2010, but a lot can change in 5 years I suppose.

The posters in your link didn't know what they were talking about! Just pay attention to who was making those claims, they are Oakland residents who admitted to visiting the Mission maybe two or three times a year. A good rule on this forum is: don't listen to Oaklanders' advice about SF and don't listen to SFers advice about Oakland. Most people do not have enough experience in both places to be cross-over experts.

Do you think people would pay this amount of money to live in a place where they would step over crackheads outside their front door?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Franci.../home/63035343

Not only is 16th and Albion not dangerous, it's a prime location. Now, a few blocks east between Mission St and S. Van Ness St is a bit more rundown, but that area has changed so much in the last few years that it doesn't even feel sketchy anymore; just older buildings and less foot traffic. Again, that description only applies to 16th St between Mission and S. Van Ness; once you get to Valencia and west of it, it is upscale and lively.

Mission has changed so much that nowadays, the only two spots I can think of where one can still get a glimpse of the old Mission's sketchiness (should you become curious) are the BART station on 16th St and the housing project on Ceasar Chavez St. Even the hole-in-the-wall taquerias on 24th St. are now mostly filled with hipters and techies. Ten years ago, visitors are afraid of walking down Shotwell and Capp, now people are paying millions to live on those streets. If you do move to the Mission, I suggest you take a stroll on 24th St and take some pictures because in a few years, most of the stuff will be gone.

Last edited by beb0p; 04-23-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM

Another property I was looking at is on Ellis and Larkin. Looks like it's in Tenderloin, which is a place I've been advised to avoid, but I'm not sure about the reputability of those claims.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM

238 posts, read 302,534 times
Quote:
Another property I was looking at is on Ellis and Larkin. Looks like it's in Tenderloin, which is a place I've been advised to avoid, but I'm not sure about the reputability of those claims.
you can trust those claims. i think that is the one thing most posters here would agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland