Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,033 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'll possibly be relocating to Oakland from Nevada. I'm female, single, mid-thirties, working in higher education. I am looking at a possible job offer in Oakland near downtown.

I'm used to suburb-type living. While the prospect of living in a more urban/exciting area I'm not sure I want to live in a super busy city the first year I'm there. I'd rather live somewhere relatively comfortable and explore other areas like SF or Oakland during time off. I'd also like to give myself time to get used to traffic/commuting and mass transit.

I'm most curious about areas to absolutely avoid. Crime happens anywhere but I don't want to end up in a "bad" neighborhood. I consider, shootings, break-ins, rape, gang activity, etc. as "bad". I get my car might get broken into but that seems minor compared to a crime that can do me physical harm.

Salary hasn't been negotiated yet, but I'm thinking I would like at least $68k a year. Does that sound realistic? Would it be realistic on that salary to look at apartments around $1400 a month? I've been looking at apartments and rent is almost 3x what I pay here in NV for a 1 bedroom. I'm willing to consider a studio since I like small spaces anyway. I have no pets so that is at least one less thing.

Any knowledge out there on CA taxes? Coming from NV (no state tax and very low cost of living) I'm worried I might bite off more than I can chew.

I have been looking these things up on my own but it's nice to get a more human perspective. Some of the threads here are a couple years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Hello!

I'll possibly be relocating to Oakland from Nevada. I'm female, single, mid-thirties, working in higher education. I am looking at a possible job offer in Oakland near downtown.

I'm used to suburb-type living. While the prospect of living in a more urban/exciting area I'm not sure I want to live in a super busy city the first year I'm there. I'd rather live somewhere relatively comfortable and explore other areas like SF or Oakland during time off. I'd also like to give myself time to get used to traffic/commuting and mass transit.

I'm most curious about areas to absolutely avoid. Crime happens anywhere but I don't want to end up in a "bad" neighborhood. I consider, shootings, break-ins, rape, gang activity, etc. as "bad". I get my car might get broken into but that seems minor compared to a crime that can do me physical harm.

Salary hasn't been negotiated yet, but I'm thinking I would like at least $68k a year. Does that sound realistic? Would it be realistic on that salary to look at apartments around $1400 a month? I've been looking at apartments and rent is almost 3x what I pay here in NV for a 1 bedroom. I'm willing to consider a studio since I like small spaces anyway. I have no pets so that is at least one less thing.

Any knowledge out there on CA taxes? Coming from NV (no state tax and very low cost of living) I'm worried I might bite off more than I can chew.

I have been looking these things up on my own but it's nice to get a more human perspective. Some of the threads here are a couple years old.
For that income your options are limited, maybe a little south in hayward. Taxes are also killed here, you'll be paying income tax of 8ish% and a sales tax rate of near 10%. plus everything else is more expensive, sans your power bill since you won't need to run AC or heater all the time though the rate is higher.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Hello!

If you don't want to live in Oakland, you might look at Contra Costa County. You could probably find a studio apartment in Martinez for $900-$1100, but in the large apartment complexes a studio would be $1400 or more. It's very quiet, has a cute little downtown and is one of the safest places in the bay area. You could take BART to work, the nearest BART station is in North Concord a few miles away.

Here's a studio in Martinez for $1100 Charming Studio Apartment in Old Downtown Martinez

Some apartments in Concord are a bit cheaper than Martinez but you need to watch the area in Concord parts of it are real "sketchy" and even in this tight rental market apartments in those areas will stay on the market for weeks.

Walnut Creek (south of Martinez) is very nice and close to Oakland, it tends to be higher than other parts of Contra Costa County but I did see some apartments on Craigslist that seem reasonable.

One bedRoom rental, in Keys Condominium

Oakland can be a neat place to live, it's quite urban full of younger people. In the decent parts of Oakland, you can still find a studio for $1400 or under, but a 1 bdrm would generally go for $1900 or more. The 'nice' parts of Oakland are Temescal, Piedmont, Rockridge, Claremont, Montclair.

Here are a few rentals in Oakland:
51st St. - Vintage Studio in Great Temescal Location Available Now !

Private Montclair studio in-law unit available May 1

Outside of rent the cost of living is really not higher in California, I moved back to California last year after living in Reno and pretty much everything costs the same except for rent. California does have a state income tax, I think for your salary it would be around $3,000-$3,400 a year.

There are some Oakland experts on CD, and I'm sure they will see this and offer better info than I am able to.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Personally, if I were single in the Bay Area, my bare minimum salary to be able to afford the location I would want for my own place, and the savings ability that I'd want would be 90k (SF and the top-tier towns are not possible for that number).

If you don't see a lot of moves in your future, take a look at the data if home-ownership is on your radar and be sure that you can get on that trajectory. Once-marginal parts of Oakland are rapidly getting better, but petty crime like an auto-break-in is possible just about anywhere. Re: physical crime, check the statistics and see if you could make the data overrule subjective feelings - Oakland is a city and cities can "feel" less safe than they really are, for all kinds of invalid reasons. Entertainment and dining in Oakland, IMO, is great, you could actually avoid going to SF for almost everything.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
Hi OP - I just did a quick Craigslist search and saw a few listings in the Oakland Hills, North Berkeley, Alameda, El Cerrito, and Walnut Creek that were in your price range. These are all nice, not urban areas that would be a reasonable commute.

One good rule of thumb: if you see something you like, grab it immediately. Housing goes quickly in the Bay Area.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you don't want to live in Oakland, you might look at Contra Costa County. You could probably find a studio apartment in Martinez for $900-$1100, but in the large apartment complexes a studio would be $1400 or more. It's very quiet, has a cute little downtown and is one of the safest places in the bay area. You could take BART to work, the nearest BART station is in North Concord a few miles away.

Here's a studio in Martinez for $1100 Charming Studio Apartment in Old Downtown Martinez

Some apartments in Concord are a bit cheaper than Martinez but you need to watch the area in Concord parts of it are real "sketchy" and even in this tight rental market apartments in those areas will stay on the market for weeks.

Walnut Creek (south of Martinez) is very nice and close to Oakland, it tends to be higher than other parts of Contra Costa County but I did see some apartments on Craigslist that seem reasonable.

One bedRoom rental, in Keys Condominium

Oakland can be a neat place to live, it's quite urban full of younger people. In the decent parts of Oakland, you can still find a studio for $1400 or under, but a 1 bdrm would generally go for $1900 or more. The 'nice' parts of Oakland are Temescal, Piedmont, Rockridge, Claremont, Montclair.

Here are a few rentals in Oakland:
51st St. - Vintage Studio in Great Temescal Location Available Now !

Private Montclair studio in-law unit available May 1

Outside of rent the cost of living is really not higher in California, I moved back to California last year after living in Reno and pretty much everything costs the same except for rent. California does have a state income tax, I think for your salary it would be around $3,000-$3,400 a year.

There are some Oakland experts on CD, and I'm sure they will see this and offer better info than I am able to.

Great! Thank you. I didn't consider going that direction for some reason but Contra Costa seems like an option. I was doing most of my apt searching in Hayward and even Fremont. I've been hearing horror stories from most people (though I take it with a grain of salt). Good to hear you made the move from Reno successfully - I'd be coming from Vegas.If the move works out I'd like to give myself a good year to explore Oakland more. I wouldn't be opposed to living there if it's a place I end up digging.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Personally, if I were single in the Bay Area, my bare minimum salary to be able to afford the location I would want for my own place, and the savings ability that I'd want would be 90k (SF and the top-tier towns are not possible for that number).

If you don't see a lot of moves in your future, take a look at the data if home-ownership is on your radar and be sure that you can get on that trajectory. Once-marginal parts of Oakland are rapidly getting better, but petty crime like an auto-break-in is possible just about anywhere. Re: physical crime, check the statistics and see if you could make the data overrule subjective feelings - Oakland is a city and cities can "feel" less safe than they really are, for all kinds of invalid reasons. Entertainment and dining in Oakland, IMO, is great, you could actually avoid going to SF for almost everything.
Well, in my field 90k wouldn't be considered at least not at this point in my career. I will take a look at home ownership. I do think about getting away from renting.

You make a good point about the "feel" of places. I think it's overwhelming to look at crime maps where it looks like tons of stuff going on so yeah my initial feeling is a bad one. I'll look at those stats more carefully. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland