Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,533 times

Advertisements

HI,

I will be moving to SFO from the Midwest. Ill be working at UCSF while my husbands job is in Cupertino. Which areas should we be looking at for living, making the commute easy for both of us? We were looking at areas like Daly City and Colma, from where I can drive and he can take the Bart. We also need recommendations for a Daycare for our little one, preferably near UCSF. From what I have gathered, the commute to UCSF is very difficult, the parking prices really high and virtually no simple public transport route to get there. any guidance in terms of housing, commute and day care search will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 7,627 times
Cupertino and UCSF are very far apart - this will be a difficult commute no matter how you slice it. I'm curious why you mention him taking BART. BART does not go anywhere near Cupertino, and Caltrain does not directly go there either. Does he have access to some sort of employer shuttle, and if so, where are the pickups for that shuttle? I would try to live near that pickup, ideally, since that would be one fewer step in his commute.

If both of you are driving, you will want to live somewhere along Interstate 280, and Daly City is as reasonably priced as you'll get. Traffic will be bad though.

A second option is to live in SoMa, although that is quite expensive now. You could take the N-Judah train to UCSF, and he could take Caltrain to Sunnyvale or Mountain View and then an Uber or bus or something from there to Cupertino. I think some people leave a car at the caltrain station to drive to work. Where exactly in Cupertino will he be working?

A third option is to live in Silicon Valley near a caltrain stop. He would have an easy drive to Cupertino, and you could take Caltrain + N-Judah to commute, about 1.5 hours each way, or drive to UCSF if you are going at an off-peak time. If you lived in downtown Mountain View or Sunnyvale you could walk to the express train, drive to Cupertino easily, and have plenty of shops nearby.

Last edited by cantab; 05-06-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Actually, my husband wants to take his employer's shuttle, which runs from many places in SFO and also from Colma and will be an hr each way. So far, our best bet has been Colma. He is pretty flexible on his commute because of the shuttle pickup locations, but I an unable to find a good public transport route from Daly City/Colma to goto UCSF. All options included atleast 1 transfer and 45 mins commute time, and I would want to minimize that as much as possible (because of my daughter)

I do like the idea of SoMa and will look into it. His company's shuttle runs from Soma as well.

The problem with living in Silicon valley (this was initially our first response too), is that I want to be close to the day care as well, and either I take my daughter on the caltrain 1.5hrs each way, or my husband does. But his hours are unsure so it will be risky for us.

I do appreciate your advise though

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalimaTN View Post
Actually, my husband wants to take his employer's shuttle, which runs from many places in SFO and also from Colma and will be an hr each way. So far, our best bet has been Colma. He is pretty flexible on his commute because of the shuttle pickup locations, but I an unable to find a good public transport route from Daly City/Colma to goto UCSF. All options included atleast 1 transfer and 45 mins commute time, and I would want to minimize that as much as possible (because of my daughter)

I do like the idea of SoMa and will look into it. His company's shuttle runs from Soma as well.

The problem with living in Silicon valley (this was initially our first response too), is that I want to be close to the day care as well, and either I take my daughter on the caltrain 1.5hrs each way, or my husband does. But his hours are unsure so it will be risky for us.

I do appreciate your advise though
In that case, I think Colma is a reasonable choice. However, I would first look along the N-Judah in the Sunset. I think Apple's shuttle stops at 19th & Judah, and the Sunset is relatively reasonably priced.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Seconded for something along the N-Judah line; besides the other reasons listed, that's the primary way to get to UCSF Parnassus campus by public transit.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:02 PM

176 posts, read 218,746 times
Are you talking about the Parnassus campus or the Mission Bay campus?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM

the Parnassus campus

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalimaTN View Post
HI,
From what I have gathered, the commute to UCSF is very difficult, the parking prices really high and virtually no simple public transport route to get there. any guidance in terms of housing, commute and day care search will be appreciated. Thanks!!
To UCSF

1)take Bart to Glen Park and take the 44 bus to 9th and Judah, walk to UCSF or hope for the 43 to come along soon.

2)take Bart To Balboa Park and take the 43 bus to UCSF.

3)take Bart to Civic Center and take N train outbound to UCSF (this way seems longer).

By midwestern standards this may seem like a tedious commute but it is relatively easy by Bay area standards where people endure horrible commutes on jam packed Bart trains from East bay and daily traffic jams on the bridges.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Lots of good advice here so far.

One other consideration, depending on your budget - If you live within the SF city limits, you can get anywhere in the city via Uber pool or Lyft Line for around $7 each way. So, living somewhere just north of Daly City might be an option, but avoid east of 280.

However, I agree with others that say the Sunset should be considered highly as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 PM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
Yeah, live in SF near a shuttle stop. The Sunset, The Richmond, Glen Park, Cole Valley, and Duboce Triangle would all be good choices for a family. You can take transit to work and drop your daughter off on the way or find a daycare near home, while your husband takes the shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland