Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 PM

45 posts, read 73,813 times

Advertisements

Hey there I'm a Jew from NYC, I was just wondering if the Bay Area has any areas that can be called "observant Jewish communties".
I know the Bay has Jews and Synangogues, but I'm not talking about Jews like Mark Zuckerberg but religious Jewish communities that wear religious attire (suit, kippah, black hat) and that observe shabbos and thus have to live walking distance to shul because we can't use cars or public transit on shabbos.

I know LA has a community in Pico Robertson/Fairfax area, but I am wondering about SF. I am guessing that it would be in SF proper or Oakland just because these areas would be the urban type areas that make Jewish life accessible.

Do you know of any areas where you would see Jews out on shabbos walking around? Kosher eateries? I'm curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,949,054 times
No...not that I am aware of.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,643 times
I occasionally meet Jews in religious attire on Shabbos in the Lakeshore/Trestle Glen area of Oakland, nearish to Temple Beth Abraham. There's also a kosher grocer on Lakeshore and a few other Jewish businesses nearby (some of which close on Shabbos). I don't know how big the supporting community is, but certainly not very.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,815,852 times
You can Google around, and see what you can find. There may be a community center you could email to ask. There's a Jewish Museum in Berkeley, you could contact them if you don't find any other resources.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:08 PM

238 posts, read 300,614 times
i know some orthodox who live in alameda but i can't say if there is a neighborhood like you are describing.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 AM

655 posts, read 1,975,148 times
Yes, as thing12 noted, there's a community in Oakland near Glenview/Crocker Highlands. It's not large but you will find families who choose that area to be within walking distance of Beth Jacob (which is the Modern Orthodox synagogue in Glenview; Beth Abraham, which is also nearby in Adams Point, is Conservative). You can also try Berkeley (Netivot Shalom, which is technically Conservative but has an Orthodox egalitarian following too). There is an eruv there, but not in Oakland, if that matters. There are also two in SF, so I presume that means there is an Orthodox community (or two) somewhere there.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:18 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,764,779 times
the crocker highland neighborhood area has largest orthodox community in the east bay
from the beth jacob web site :
What attracted you to Beth Jacob Congregation?
Sheldon & Diane: Our attraction to Beth Jacob started with our connection
to Oakland Hebrew Day School and our move to the Crocker
Highlands area. After discovering the school, we began to look for a[\place to live in Oakland. David Gluck helped us find a place on the outskirt]of the Longridge “shtetl,” and the Dardiks generously allowed usto stay at their place while our stuff was being moved. We have lived inmany different places, always trying to find the optimal community settingThe Beth Jacob community is unique. It feels like an extended family, especially on Shabbat. We love the experienceof a Modern Orthodox neighborhood with doors open, kids running from house to house, and shared meals. When
Diane was recovering from surgery, the community meals were a real blessing. We are honored to be participating in
Rabbi Dardik’s larger vision for this evolving community

Oakland's Crocker Highlands development, meanwhile, is located within walking distance of a kosher bakery, butcher and restaurant, and the city's only Orthodox shul, Beth Jacob Congregation."As the East Bay goes, it is probably the most Jewishly identified neighborhood there is," said Ben Marcus, a Beth Jacob member, who moved into the neighborhood three months ago. He estimates that at least five Jewish families, including his own, reside within a 15-house vicinity of one another on Longridge Road

Last edited by ssmaster; 05-11-2015 at 01:28 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 AM

43,299 posts, read 43,957,600 times
According to this article there are 4 "eruv" in the SF area:

Eruv fever: Four Bay Area eruvs, including new one in S.F., are reshaping local Jewish demographics | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,949,054 times
Wow - that's pretty interesting article. I lived in two of the neighborhoods mentioned in the article for most of my life and had no idea! It's not like you see very many people dressed in the Hasidic attire like you might in neighborhoods in New York ,London, or Antwerp wearing the yarmulke, beards, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 PM

722 posts, read 1,317,908 times
Ive seen a few around the inner / outer Richmond district, SF

they appear to be Russian Jews? they dress in conservative black suits with black hats, long beards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland